Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys getting for mileage out of your stock tire? My stock Tires are Dunlops. I assume everyones are/were. My bike is the 2013 version and I am at 5000kms (approx 3100 miles) and my rear tire is pretty well done. Could get maybe another 1000k if i really stretched it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Tread wear depends so much on how you ride, obviously. I have just over 5,000 miles on my stock Dunlops and I'd say they're about half worn. No wear indicators flushed yet. But I ride like an old man mainly because, well, I am an old man. Very few miles above about 50mph.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I typically do 10km above the speed limit. I like the throttle, got some V&H pipes and they sound amazing, but I am not doing burn outs or smoke shows. I just think that my tire being 4/5ths worn at this stage is terrible. Getting a set of Avons put on today and I imagine they/hope they last a lot longer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting... I have original Dunlops with around 8,000 miles. Most users post a wide range of mileage they get from the stock tires. I think tire pressure and how aggressively driven has much to do with this. Same could be said with cars. Just a thought...

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I think tire pressure and how aggressively driven has much to do with this. Same could be said with cars. Just a thought...
This is very true. Also there are many other factors that determine tire wear from road conditions to temperature, weight, etc. My bike has just over 17k miles on her, and only on the second set of tires which were replaced at 12k. There was 6/32 tread left but there was some sidewall cracking starting so I replaced them. The fact is tires wear differently for different people and very few people will get the exact same mileage out of the same brand/model tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's a record for me but I have just over 14,000 miles on my front Dunlop. It's almost down to the wear indicators right now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When we had the 900 lt tires were replaced at 5500 miles, that two up most of the time and pulling trailer some of the time put on Metzler 880 and the difference was amazing made me wish I hadent of wait he the extra 1000 miles to use them up

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm at 3200 miles on the stock Dunlops and can barely notice any wear. I ride one up only, mostly highway at 75+ mph and am a moderately spirited rider. I am quite happy with the way the stock tires ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Purchased my 2009 Custom last year with 3400 miles showing on the odometer, and no idea how the (stock Dunlop) tires were treated by the PO. The stock rear was already very worn, and was bald across the middle 4 inches when I replaced both tires at 5200 miles with Michelin Commander IIs. It probably should have been replaced 1000 miles sooner. The original front tire looked good from 10 feet away, but had some cracking and was scalloped on the left side.

9700 miles now on the bike, so 4500 miles on the new tires. The tires show some wear but look and ride great. I have not measured tread depth, but it is obvious that they will last much longer than the original tires. Leaving on a 1000 mile trip next Friday, and have no concerns at all about the tires. I keep the air pressure a few pounds below the Michelin recommended max pressure, which is higher than the Kawi recommendation. I have scraped my pegs just a couple of times (What was that !?) in the last 6000 miles, and do not consider myself an aggressive rider. As RickD said, I ride like an old man, because I am an old man, although I do spend some time on the highway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The original front tire looked good from 10 feet away, but had some cracking and was scalloped on the left side.
Curious about the cracking. Dryer climate? Sit's outside exposed to sun more? We've had tires on trailers, cars, trucks, etc. with good tread left but dry-rotted. Something to look for besides just wear on threads. Bulges, bumps, flat spots, eggs? Which the last could be felt while riding. :eek:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Replaced both my original 404's last year with 11k even and they were not quite at the wear bars but close enough that you could'nt really measure the difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Curious about the cracking. Dryer climate? Sit's outside exposed to sun more? We've had tires on trailers, cars, trucks, etc. with good tread left but dry-rotted. Something to look for besides just wear on threads. Bulges, bumps, flat spots, eggs? Which the last could be felt while riding. :eek:
I had not ridden in 40 years, and most of my early riding was off-road, so I did not recognize the scallop-induced roughness in the ride. I did notice the cracking. Every groove in the tread had cracks in it, and the rubber was very hard. I expect that the bike spent most of the 5 previous riding seasons sitting outside, letting the sun and wind do their best to trash the tires. The scallops were quite deep, maybe 1/8" from the peak to the trough.

I don't know the bike's history, so can only guess why the tires were so bad so soon. I am taking good care of the new tires, and it is obvious that they will provide a lot more service than the originals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got 4400 miles out of my o.e. dunlaps. The rear was bald and the front was chopped to hell. Put on Michelin commander IIs, now have 9200 miles on the bike and hardly any wear

·
Registered
39 Posts
5k out of stock Dunlops

My stock Dunlop rear was shot at 5k miles, front wasn't much better. Went to metzeler marathons and the rear was shot at 7k miles, again front wasn't much better and had visible cracking/dry rot in the tread. This time I installed Shinko 230's and did it myself using the c-clamp zip-tie methods. I like the look of them on the bike, it cost only $131 for both wheels and it rides and handles excellent. We ride 2-up about 100% of the time, weight about 310 lbs between the two of us and I am a very mellow type of driver. If I can get at least 5k out of these Shinko's I will buy them again. Changing the tires turned out to be pretty easy and I didn't have to worry about the wheels or bike getting damaged at the shop. Saving money was just the 'icing on the cake'.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My stock Dunlop rear was shot at 5k miles, front wasn't much better. Went to metzeler marathons and the rear was shot at 7k miles, again front wasn't much better and had visible cracking/dry rot in the tread. This time I installed Shinko 230's and did it myself using the c-clamp zip-tie methods. I like the look of them on the bike, it cost only $131 for both wheels and it rides and handles excellent. We ride 2-up about 100% of the time, weight about 310 lbs between the two of us and I am a very mellow type of driver. If I can get at least 5k out of these Shinko's I will buy them again. Changing the tires turned out to be pretty easy and I didn't have to worry about the wheels or bike getting damaged at the shop. Saving money was just the 'icing on the cake'.
Almost went with the 230's myself but had no beef with the 404's.. might try them the next time. Keep us posted on your findings.......

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put the Avon Venoms on. Hoping they last a lot longer than the stock Dunlops

·
Registered
729 Posts
We mostly worry about mold and rust:mad: up here.
Just hit 35000miles ready to start my 4th tire on the rear, fronts generally last 15000 miles. Oh yeh Dunlop 404's fr/bk
Going to try a Mez. 888

·
Registered
847 Posts
8,000 on my oem tires. 12,000 on a Metzler 880 rear, could have gotten more but I had a long trip coming up and changed it early. The front is not half worn out yet, it to is a Metzler so I kept it. I honestly think it feels better to change both, wish I had now but will wait till next season. It depends on road conditions, inflation, weight with passenger and or luggage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts