Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my previous bike I used Michelin Commander II tires front and rear and the front outlasted 1.5 rears, in fact most people I talk to with most styles of bike tend to get longer wear out of the front, often as much as 2:1

12k miles ago I put a pair of Michelin Commander II's on my Vulcan 1600. Now the front is down to the wear indicator (slightly more on the left than the right) while the rear has about 2/32's left before I'll get to the wear bars.

All I can figure is that it's a heavy bike, I'm a heavy guy, and I like to ride fast and brake hard and all of that just puts extra stress on the front.

What has your experience with tire life been on big Vulcans? Is it the nature of the best or just my riding that is doing it?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
My 1500 Nomad wears both of them out at about the same time. I usually have a little more left on the front. But I change them both out. I ride VERY aggressively so I am thrilled to get 12k out of a set of shoes. Love the Commander II's. If I see more front wear I suspect that I did not watch my tire pressure as I normally do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of air pressure do you run?

If memory serves mine calls for 28psi up front which feels terrible to me. I run it at 36.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree on tire pressure. On my BMWs I usually run 38 to 40 psi on the front and 42 psi in the rear. It makes a huge difference in running temperature of the tires, even when riding light and solo. I have met many riders on similar sized touring bikes running much lower tire pressures and suffering weird wear and decreased total mileage. Some people claim road crown, tighter right turns, riding in the right lane, heavy braking/downshifting, aggressive riding, etc. My take is low tire pressure and heat buildup is far more impactful on tire wear than anything else. The next factor is suspension that is worn out that has lost all damping capability, which usually happens at about 20,000 miles. Once the damping is gone tire wear, tire cupping, uneven wear. high wear rates become much more common.

On my Vulcan I plan to run 40 psi frt/44 psi rear as long as I can tune the suspension for ride quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts