Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Gotta put new tires on my 02 1500 nomad fi. I'm currently runnin Dunlop D 404 150/80-16 71H. Has been a great set and wouldn't mind goin with this set again, but...
I'm lookin for a heavier rated tire like maybe a 77H? Why? Well lets just say me and the Mrs are plus sized people. Don't get me wrong, the 71H has hauled us both around just fine, I'm just thinkin bout what if we need to seriously pack the bike down for a long road trip... Found some Pirelli night dragons but they are spec'd for a Harley. Anybody tell me why they wouldn't work by chance? Or, got any other recommendations? I welcome your advice, thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been happy with the Michelin Commander II's which has a 77H rating. They handle nice and don't seem to be showing any wear. I've had them since December 2012and have put about 3K on them.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Almost identical to the 404 you are running now is the 402. Its made for heavier bikes, actually Harleys, they have Harley on the sidewall. I used them for several years and got twice the mileage as the 404. They dont come in metric sizes, but the MU85-16 is the size you'll probably need. If I remeber right, its sized between a 140-90-16 and the 150-80-16 so its slightly taller than what you have now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Vulcan Ray I didnt see any of the commander II in the front tire size I needed (same 150/80-16). Maybe I just need to look harder... What are you running on your front? Rick, is the only issue with Harley spec'd tires is they don't come in the metric sizes? How did the 402's handle through curves and turns?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The way they display the sizing is the only real difference. I was wrong about the size comparisome, it is between a 140-9016 and a 130-90 16. A couple sites say it is interchangable with the 140. I was getting them through JPCycles, and they have a larger bead area, also called a safety bead were the bead extends past the wheel. Was told it helps keep the tire on the rim incase of a flat while riding. I was able to were out a set of peg feelers from draging my pegs while I was using them. I was getting around 17,000 on a rear and 35,000 0n the front on my 800 most always 2up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a couple of buddies that have ran the Shinko 234 Tour Master on their H-D's and have good luck with them. They are wearing well..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm vary happy with my MCII's , they replaced a set of 402's with only 3500mi and there was an immediate and major improvement in handling. Got 4700mi on them and little noticeable wear. I would maybe try some Avons if I went with some thing different but never the 402's again. This is on a Harley Softail .

·
Registered
15 Posts
ride a Vulcan 2000 and after long consideration decided to try the MM commander two, Had to go down a size as they do not make the 205 yet. Will not go back to any other tire. Handling improved 100%, tire wear is zero, scraping running boards anytime with no problem. No road noise from tire.....will be great also when they make the 205 but happy with the 190.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am happy with the MCII's I put on. Had to go with a 130/90 on the front.I can now take my hands off the handlebars without the wobble.(Not advised thoughLOL!) Much smoother ride then the stock Bridgestones. Have not put many miles on the Michelins to let you know anything about wear.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Went through 2 sets of factory Bridgestones at about 7,500 each set, got wise and switched to Michelin Commander IIs. Over 15,000 miles on them and many miles left on both the front and rear, especially the front.

They handle well and ride great, a lot better than the Bridgestones.

Roadie

2011 Vaquero 1700 aka Black Magic
Cobra Tri-Ovals, Thunder Tornado Air Kit, PCv, RacNRay's Throttle Mod

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was a big fan of the Metzeler ME 880 until the price skyrocketed. As soon as they got popular the price steadily rose. My first pair was $145.00 for the rear tire and $104.00 for the front. I think they are a really great tire if your willing to spend the Dough but I don't like being gouged so I switched to the Pirelli MT 66. They handle just fine in all riding conditions but I can't yet comment on how they will last. I always stay with the stock size tire recommended for my bike, I'm not a big fan of experimenting with tires that aren't specifically sized for my bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine had a 880 Marathon on the front that was in good shape. So i put a new one on the back last year when i bought it. (2001 1500fi Classic) Im very happy with it so far. Its wearing very well, but i'm no "canyon carver" so im not sure about cornering grip..... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '03 1500 Nomad had Dunlop D404's on it when I purchased it this past August. The Dunlops had been put on not long before I bought the Nomad. I have about 4500 miles on the tires now and the rear is getting near time for replacement. I do not do burnouts and keep my pressures at 42 rear and 40 front. I ran Commander II's on my Honda VTX1800C and they never seemed to wear. I live in Northern California so I do a lot of riding through our twisty Foothill and Mountain roads and never had a grip problem with the Commander II's. I started looking for replacement Commanders for my Nomad today and Michelin has a 150/80-16 for the rear but the closest they have for the 150/80-16 front is a 130/90-16. Reading this thread I saw that a rider with a Nomad 1500 runs the 130/90-16 up front in place of the 150/80-16. Does anyone else run this smaller tire up front? Any complaints or thoughts on this?

Thanks, Hoppy

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
My '03 1500 Nomad had Dunlop D404's on it when I purchased it this past August. The Dunlops had been put on not long before I bought the Nomad. I have about 4500 miles on the tires now and the rear is getting near time for replacement. I do not do burnouts and keep my pressures at 42 rear and 40 front. I ran Commander II's on my Honda VTX1800C and they never seemed to wear. I live in Northern California so I do a lot of riding through our twisty Foothill and Mountain roads and never had a grip problem with the Commander II's. I started looking for replacement Commanders for my Nomad today and Michelin has a 150/80-16 for the rear but the closest they have for the 150/80-16 front is a 130/90-16. Reading this thread I saw that a rider with a Nomad 1500 runs the 130/90-16 up front in place of the 150/80-16. Does anyone else run this smaller tire up front? Any complaints or thoughts on this?

Thanks, Hoppy
Look at Avon Cobras. I have ran them on my last two motorcycles and friends are running them too. We have all been happy with their performance and wear. They have the size you need for both front and rear.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I was getting around 17,000 on a rear and 35,000 0n the front on my 800 most always 2up.
Rick, I know this is an old thread, and I know you don't use kilometers in Georgia, USA, but your mileage just blew me away! 17k rear and 35k front with Dunlop 402's? Really? And 2up! I was thinking of Michelin replacements but you just changed my mind.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Redfish, these are miles. I was averaging 16-18k MILES a year. Replace rear tire each spring and front tier every other spring. Havent tried the Commanders on the 800, can only guess how long they would last. The 402s are a Harley branded tire and are a heavier tire than the 404s.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The 402s are a Harley branded tire and are a heavier tire than the 404s.
Impressive mileage. The Dunlop 402s are a little less expensive than the Michelins, and whitewall at that. Perfect for the 1500 Drifter.

Commander IIs have good tread life too, but the two I purchased were slightly out of round despite multiple attempts seating them true to each wheel rim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts