Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. It looks like it's about time to replace my tires. My gut says to go with something in the factory sizes, but I'm considering going slightly wider in the rear (like 170 instead of 160) in an effort to soften up the ride a bit. Since it's only a 10mm difference, I assume the rim could handle it, but I really don't know. I usually go with the manufacturer's specs on these things, but I am tempted. Has anyone done this?

On another, related, note--what are everyone's thoughts about replacing only the rear? I've heard you should always replace both, but it seems like a shame when the front still has life left in it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching and didn't turn up much.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
As for the sizing I'm not sure how much you would notice a 10mm difference in width, equating to a 1mm difference in height.

If you decide to only replace the rear I would absolutely go back with the stock tire. I feel 2 rears to 1 front is generally acceptable.

For me when it was time to replace the rear I had been unhappy with the tire for a few thousand miles so I went Pirelli Angel GTs front and back, which I've been very happy with. As with anything though your smiles may vary. If you've been happy with the stock tires though I would recommend just sticking a new stock rear on and saving the $.

·
Registered
232 Posts
2 rear to 1 front is ok. I even mixed a radial Dunlop rear to the stock exedra bias front with No problem. Then went Dunlop front, but can't get radial front for the Nomad. Dunlops are superior ride, handling and performance, really stick to the road full lean & braking, But I could only get 8k rear and 12k miles front. Tired (pun intended) of changing tires riding 8k per year, I've gone to Michelin Command er 2s. Hard rubber slips on wet lane changes at 70 & lays rubber on quick starts, but 9k on the rear & still looks good. I've thought about larger rear, but sizes for my Nomad were limited, but I might try next set, asking my Kaw dealer. Still may go back to Dunlop. 4 bikes over 40 years of riding on Dunlop, except for the Exedras & these Michelins. Hmmm, best ride ( Dunlop) or longest lasting ( Michelin)???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My 3 cents

Sticky the better. At least in Florida. I burn thru car tires every 15k. We use summer tires. I went from neros to Goodyear and what a mistake. My 2016' 5.0 can hit the off ramp posted at 20mph at 50mph as it digs in
on the neros with the performance package I paid for. The Goodyear slide right under me with a slight kick of the pedal. 2000 bucks for the perf package using Goodyear was a mistake.its useless on those tires. Nero cost double but handling great. Bottom line. Oem is not always bad. I like the stock tires on my bike. Handles my fatass well in corners. I don't ride in wet so can't offer opinion

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm guessing in SoCal you're going to have a similar climate to me. Between 5 and 45 degree C.
I only got 11,000km on the stock rear and currently up to 28,500km (17,500 tyre life) and counting on my Road Pilot 4's. Having said that it's on the markers but even in the torrential rain we've had, it still grips.

I found an increase in grip in both wet and dry compared to stock and they lasted way longer for just a 10% increase in price. It's a no brainer for me. I've already put one on the front after 23,000km and will put another one on the back again soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As for the sizing I'm not sure how much you would notice a 10mm difference in width, equating to a 1mm difference in height.

If you decide to only replace the rear I would absolutely go back with the stock tire. I feel 2 rears to 1 front is generally acceptable.

For me when it was time to replace the rear I had been unhappy with the tire for a few thousand miles so I went Pirelli Angel GTs front and back, which I've been very happy with. As with anything though your smiles may vary. If you've been happy with the stock tires though I would recommend just sticking a new stock rear on and saving the $.
I am looking to get the Angel GTs, any feedback? Are they any good with cornering and the wet?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
stay with kawasaki stock tire sizes for your bike model, you can change brands but don't change sizes

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
@B3Hulk Yes and yes. I've been very happy with the Angel GTs. They stick like glue in the corners, even surprisingly well when a bit of gravel or sand sneak up on you.

In the wet it's a night and day difference compared to the stock Dunlops, which inspired zero confidence. The painted lines and tarmac snakes are still a bit slippery but if you find a tire without that problem please let me know. One day I may tryout the Pilot series from Michelin, as I've heard great things about their wet grip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@B3Hulk Yes and yes. I've been very happy with the Angel GTs. They stick like glue in the corners, even surprisingly well when a bit of gravel or sand sneak up on you.

In the wet it's a night and day difference compared to the stock Dunlops, which inspired zero confidence. The painted lines and tarmac snakes are still a bit slippery but if you find a tire without that problem please let me know. One day I may tryout the Pilot series from Michelin, as I've heard great things about their wet grip.
I just bought a pair of Angel Gts as I heard really good things.

I will put them on and see how they are.

I actually thought the stock tyres are really good but I had nothing to compare it to. This is my first bike so it will be interesting how it will affect the performance and safety.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nothing wrong with two rear tires to one front, but I’d go with the OEM rear this time and upgrade both the next go round. Mixing compounds that will give you different levels of grip front and back sounds like a really bad idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts