Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
General Altimax 195/65-15 HP on the back. Pirelli rear 130/90-16 running backwards on the front. Looking for better than 20 thousand miles on the pair.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The tread and construction of MC tires are setup for the forces that the bike will deliver. Rear tires interior joints are tapered so that the leading edge is covered by the trailing during acceleration. The tread is setup to disperse water with maximum efficiency. But Front tires brake and rear tires accelerate, the forces are backwards, so you reverse the tire so that the rotations of the tires and the forces they incounter will be in the correct way.

As far as the tread goes, when you are looking at the tire for the front or rear, IF there is a tread pattern that makes V's the V's should point up into the fender. That's the same forward and aft word.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pirelli MT66s on my LT
Well I just put new tires on T'Pol. The rear was installed last weekend @ 5835 miles. I tried to go to 6000 miles but we hit a rainy patch and I was noticing even on dry pavement I was losing traction. I had already installed a Pirelli MT66 Route (or Route 66) on the front of my wife's Savage and was impressed with how the handling increased.

After the Cleveland Bike show I was going to go with Avons but I had a hard time finding what I wanted locally or even online. I did some price shopping locally and got the Pirellis for $87 front and $121 rear.

Now tread wise I didn't need a front tire but the OE Dunlops were showing signs of cracking on the sidewalls. That and in general I didn't like how the Dunlops handled especially on grooved or uneven road surfaces.

I remember the 1st time I came into some road construction on RT322 in Meadville. They have the surface all grooved up for repaving for about 3 miles. I thought I was on ice, seriously!

Anyway, last weekend I had 5835 miles and got the new rear, they were out of the front tire. Then I dropped it off this past Thursday and picked it up Friday with my new front. Now I haven't had 3 miles of grooves to deal with since the new tires but I have ridden on enough grooved pavement to know the difference thus far.

I hit a grooved bridge about 100 ft long at 55mph and it was straight as an arrow. That and in general how the bike feels now makes me wonder why I just didn't dump those tires long ago.

They have my vote!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts