Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a screw to the stock Dunlop. It is dead nuts in the center of the tire. I called the local shop and they said they do not patch tires, only replace. He also said that I was unlikely to find anyone who would patch it. I only have 5k on the tire and it still has good tread left. Anyone have a tire patched on here?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
My brother had a tire patched on hus Ultra Glide last year. Tire had to come off rim and they used a patch with what looks like a plug and pulled from the inside. Was an independent shop and still riding on it. Would recommend rebalancing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ok on some car tires but would not chance it with mc tires. However, if it was a really small screw, should be fine to patch. I'm assuming yours is the classic and have tubes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have not repaired a tire on my Vulcan but did a couple tire repairs on tubed Michelin Pilot Power tires with no problem. Sounds like they want to sell tires especially if they knew how bad it was on just a phone call. It looks like you are riding a Classic so you run a tube and unless it has some serious damage it should be fine if properly patched. Just remember you will be out of tread in a couple thousand miles so it would probably be a good time to just swap to a new tire since 1/3 of the cost is in the labor anyway and you have less than 1/3 tread left. I would get the new tire since the stock tires are not great anyway...a taller tire 170/80/15 will give you 2.2 mph on your cruising speed and help correct your speedo a little.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If it's a tubed tire, should be able to replace the tube. Another option if the screw is small 1/8" diameter (for tubed), 1/4" diameter (for tubeless) you can add Ride-On tire protection to plug the hole and will balance your tire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used a self vulcanizing plug in my nearly new rear tire on my sportbike after getting a nail in it. Didn't throw the balance off and the tire lasted another ~4K miles with the plug never causing any problems.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It sounds like a puncture and not a tear so, If it is a tube tire (probably is) put a patch on the inside of it and get a new tube, unless you are just getting that close to needing a new tire anyway. If it is a tube-less tire plug it good and go on your day. Just keep a close eye on it. Also may what to replace if you rode it flat for a long time and done a lot of damage to it.

DISCLAIMER:

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO, THE DECISIONS IS UP TO YOU.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I agree, should be able to either replace the tube or repair it yourself with a plug. I have had no issues with any installed plugs in tires I have repaired myself. It's either that or maybe there is someone selling a used tired in the classified section here. Worth a look, Good luck!

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
If it's a tubed tire, should be able to replace the tube. Another option if the screw is small 1/8" diameter (for tubed), 1/4" diameter (for tubeless) you can add Ride-On tire protection to plug the hole and will balance your tire.
+1
Ride On TPS
I just put some in a tire on my car. It has had a slow leak for a year and I got tired of topping it off. The leak got worse so I just put the Ride On TPS in it and it hasn't leaked at all. I also have it in my V2K tires. Great stuff!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
+1 to the Ride on TPS.

I got a small puncture in my rear tire that would go flat in a couple of hours.
That was over 6k miles ago and the tire is still going strong.:)

Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
On MC tires I have plugged many tires on sport bikes and touring bikes without issues. Why pull the tire off when you don't need to? I have done track days with plugged tires and no problems. If you are not comfortable with a patch or plug repair then replace the tire. There is no price you can pay for your own confidence on your cycle when riding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a pretty big screw that went in at an angle. Not sure the Ride-On will work.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
On MC tires I have plugged many tires on sport bikes and touring bikes without issues. Why pull the tire off when you don't need to? I have done track days with plugged tires and no problems. If you are not comfortable with a patch or plug repair then replace the tire. There is no price you can pay for your own confidence on your cycle when riding.
He has a classic and if they have factory wheels then he has spokes, so how are yo going to fix the tube with the tire on the rim, or at least one side of it off the rim???

·
Registered
36 Posts
He has a classic and if they have factory wheels then he has spokes, so how are yo going to fix the tube with the tire on the rim, or at least one side of it off the rim???
Yeah... forgot that the classics have tubes... my bad.

That would definitely increase the level of difficulty for DIY however pulling one bead out and fishing the tube out if performed safely can be done without too much money. Old cruiser trick would be to place duct tape over the nail hole on the tire side and patch the tube.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I refract my previous comments about repairing tires with plugs. Thi I feel its fine for cars, due to the safety factor for motorcycles plugging a tire is not ideal. New tire install is beat option, IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts