Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Nomad 1500 fi, bought it used 2 years ago, roughly 15000 miles on it now. I'm thinking it may need some maintenance beyond oil/filter, etc., and I'm wondering if anyone out there with a similar bike has any recommendations on whether the following items should be replaced (considering the miles, but especially considering the years, on the bike). The bike runs great as is, and I hope to keep it a long time. Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't know the tire codes. It has the same tires now as when I bought it. Should they be replaced? Any specific suggestions as far as brand? (I'm thinking of switching from black walls to white walls, as well.)

Fork oil has never been changed, to my knowledge, or the fork springs (if this model has them; I don't know).

Shocks have never been changed, to my knowledge.

I'm thinking of replacing the brake lines (which are stock, to my knowledge) with braided stainless steel lines. And, any recommendations for brake pads, when they need to be replaced?

For that matter, I have the same questions about a 2008 Classic 1500 fi that I bought last year (currently has about 9000 miles on it).

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Those tires definitely should be replaced. 15k is a good long life for a set of MC tires, and at that age, rubber rot is a very real possibility. I have a 2004 1500 Classic, and the owner's manual says at 15k to do the following:

Check final gear case oil level
change coolant
lubricate steering head bearing
check all bolts and nuts for tightening
check spoke tightness or rim runout
Fork oil change
oil change
check all fluid levels, including brake. Make sure brake fluid isn't cloudy or brown
check rear shocks for leaks

·
Registered
578 Posts
For tires, I've been through a few sets on my Drifter.

The original Dunlops were "less then desirable".

I had a set of Continental Milestones WWW that lasted forever, but the way they did that was they used a harder rubber compound, so they weren't as sticky. Great tire though!

Metzler 880 (now replaced by the 888) was a much stickier tire, but was ultra sensative to tire pressure. Of by 3 pounds and it begins wearing badly.

I believe I've found the best of both worlds now.

Shinko 777's are the bomb! Nice WWW or blackwall tire that is wallet friendly, sticks like the road is made of gummy bears, and shows little wear with nearly 5000 miles on them so far. Recommended them to a friend for his Harley Superglide and he says they are worlds better then the Michelin Scorchers he had on there.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The fork springs, rear shocks and brake lines do not need to be replaced just because they are a few years old. Fluids, and tires have a life cycle.
I have an 06 1500FI and I have changed every fluid except the fork oil. The only reason I have not replaced the fork oil is because I do not have a good clean (no dust or dirt) level place to work. (Stupid reason, but there it is) No leaks or seeps. My bike has spoke wheels, so tubes are a must, unfortunately. I would like to have tubeless tires for the occasional flat out on the road.

For brake pads I use the HHC high heat metallic pads. There are others, organic and softer pads, but I want the maximum stopping power for those quick stops when mother nature or some car wants in the same space I am headed for.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
A stupid question: can you reuse tubes? that is a one time reuse? can they last two tire sets? So far I've been replacing tubes and tires. This time I do not see tubes in my size this being the riding season. I might find them when time comes, just want to know if anyone runs their tubes twice. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I always replace the tubes, especially if there had been a flat.
$165 for a tire and $18 for a tube give or take. I always replace the tube and wheel/spoke band with new tires.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Thanks. That's what I did so far. Can't find 180/70-15 tube today.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Mine are 16........ 180/70-16 and 150/90-16?????

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I've got a different bike. Mine are 130/90-16 front and 180/70-15 back. Found one place that has them. www.americanmototire.com Amazon is out, BikeBandit and cruiser customizing is out too. Hot item. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
You always want to replace tubes. They rub on the insides of the tires and can get thinner in places. A couple of bucks for a tube is cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Money is not a problem. At all. Availability is. Winter time there are plenty of tubes. Now not so much, at least not in my size. I found one place that have them. Not sure if it is in stock or not. Sent them an email. Hopefully they have them. Got 5K on my bridgestones, and looks like I can make another 5K on them. But there is a tour coming up. I do not want to leave for a 3.5K trip on tires that by than will be on their last legs. :). Tires are on order. Should be here in a week. So looking for tubes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts