Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on tires. I'm getting ready to replace the rear tire again on the bike. I think I have set a new record on wearing out a rear tire. looking for something with a little better wear. I have a bridgestone bt020 on it. 7000 miles in 60 days and she is shot... recommendations?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
60 days may be a time record, dunno, but in terms of miles I never got more than 5,000 from a rear (motorcycle) tire on mine. Put a car tire (darkside) on and have 4-5,000 on it and there's still lots of tread left.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If no matter what you try only gives you 7000mi. then i would go for the most inexpensive ones, pirelli makes a good tire and they are priced right, my original dunlops have 8000mi. on them and still look good, must have something to do with the way we ride......cheers....

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The question I have for you is simple. Are you willing to try the DarkSide? It takes a little while to get used to, but I have 10000 miles on mine, and it doesn't even look like it has touched the ground. 205/60r16 Goodyear Tripletred. MC tires last about 5000 miles, and this should go 20-25k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have thought about going darkside, but it concerns me about how it handles in turns. It surprises me how little mileage I got from this tire. Especially since I wasn't very hard on it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have thought about going darkside, but it concerns me about how it handles in turns. It surprises me how little mileage I got from this tire. Especially since I wasn't very hard on it.

Watch this vidoe for a couple of minutes, then lets talk about cornering. This guy is considered one of the fastest ever on the tail of the dragon, and he swears on the wing forum he is faster with a car tire.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I picked a cheap, house brand car tire from Discount Tire that had a nice round shoulder. I don't even feel a difference in the corners. I figured that for $50, if I didn't like it I could take it off and wouldn't lose too much money on the deal. 7000 miles so far and it looks like I installed it yesterday and I don't think I will ever put a MC tire on the back of this thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Stock Battle-axe made it to 3500 miles. Put a 225/60-16 Sumitomo on the rear, increased damping and spring rates, run it at 32 psi and it rides like it's on a rail. No problems at all in the corners. Took a bit of getting used to due to the huge contact patch on the road. Much softer ride and a little quicker if you have to dodge a road hazard but all in all I think I prefer it to a m/c rear. Only about 600 miles on it and absolutely no wear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I picked a cheap, house brand car tire from Discount Tire that had a nice round shoulder. I don't even feel a difference in the corners. I figured that for $50, if I didn't like it I could take it off and wouldn't lose too much money on the deal. 7000 miles so far and it looks like I installed it yesterday and I don't think I will ever put a MC tire on the back of this thing.

I have the same bike as you. The constant tire changes are the biggest cost for me. I think I'm ready to try an alternative. What brand and size is your tire?

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have been thinking about going to a 215-65 for a little taller tire, maybe take away a few rpms at cruisin speed. Has anyone installed this size ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Darkside

I went to the darkside a couple years ago, I have almost 20K on a Goodyear Triple Tread 215/60/16 and it still looks like I installed it yesterday. I have not had any issues with steering, if a guy knows how to ride a bike (counter steering) then there should be no problem. I have taken it from Las Vegas to Yellowstone, down to LA and all the way up to SF across to Reno, never had any problems. My bike shop here in town balances it too. :cool:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have been thinking about going to a 215-65 for a little taller tire, maybe take away a few rpms at cruisin speed. Has anyone installed this size ?
Should be almost 20mm taller than stock. It would give you a better lean angle too with the added ground clearance. I may do it with the next tire....in a few years. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Should be almost 20mm taller than stock. It would give you a better lean angle too with the added ground clearance. I may do it with the next tire....in a few years. :)
Yes sir that is an issue, it takes forever to wear these things out. I am rapidly approaching 20k miles on my current tire, still lots of tread left but i might change it anyway just for kicks. Its to frigin hot to ride so i might as well wrench on the beast! It will be interesting to see if anyone has used this size tire, i have looked on the darkside site but seems everyone has the 55 or 60. Did you watch the Yellow Wolf ride the dragon, he is amazing . he has custom made stainless steel pegs on his wing and still wears them out all the time. He claims he gets more traction leaving the turns with a car tire than he did when he was running a bike tire.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have seen yellow wolf several times, he definately can ride. I concur that traction is improved with a CT, even on the throttle in a corner.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dozer, Be careful using a 215/65 or a 205/65 aspect ratio tire. I'm running a 225/60 and there is NO extra room between tread and inner fender. I had to take the shock damping and shock preload to the limit to keep from bottoming out. Aspect ratio for stock 200/60 tire is 120mm, 205/65 is 133.5mm (205mm x .65 = 133.5mm) (133.5mm - 120mm (stock) x 2 = 27mm) (1"=25mm) or a little over 1" taller than stock, 215/65 is 139mm or about 1.6" taller than stock, my 225/60 is 135mm or about 1.5" taller and there is very little room and be careful with your belt adjustment. Good luck, hope this helps, Bob

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dozer, Be careful using a 215/65 or a 205/65 aspect ratio tire. I'm running a 225/60 and there is NO extra room between tread and inner fender. I had to take the shock damping and shock preload to the limit to keep from bottoming out. Aspect ratio for stock 200/60 tire is 120mm, 205/65 is 133.5mm (205mm x .65 = 133.5mm) (133.5mm - 120mm (stock) x 2 = 27mm) (1"=25mm) or a little over 1" taller than stock, 215/65 is 139mm or about 1.6" taller than stock, my 225/60 is 135mm or about 1.5" taller and there is very little room and be careful with your belt adjustment. Good luck, hope this helps, Bob
Izzy, i appreciate all the info. I will do some more research before i pull the trigger. Looking at the specks on tire rack the 60 series average 25.7 in overall diamater and the 65 series are around 26.3 in. The 60 series average 811 revolutions per mile the 65 series average 784 revs per mile. The 65 series seem to go from 24" in diameter to 27". The 60 series from 23 - 27". here is a link, i guess it depends what tire brand you buy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact&partnum=06TR6CPC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
220 Posts
Opinions, everybody has one, who needs 'em

Woke up in an grumpy mood today and IMHO: The V2K is what I would consider a high performance bike (for it's designed purpose) and I sure wouldn't put the cheapest, non-speed rated tire under my butt on this bike. You don't have to spend a lot, but with the V2K's capabilities, I would sure go for a quality tire.

Also, watched the video of the I---t on the Goldwing. WHY? We get enough riders killed as it is without people going on a kamikaze death ride just because he can. All it takes is a cage crossing the centerline in a blind corner and we have another statistic. Seen it happen more than once.

Ride safe!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts