Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Was just cleaning and putting my bike away for the day and saw the black strip of stick on wheel weights (inside edge of wheel) the dealer has been putting on (believe the stock ones were just metal clip-ons to the center of the wheel). It got me thinking, for those that replace your own tires how do you balance them?

Read the reviews on the MP stand before you buy; I have a bike master .

The rest of the products used work.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@texasnurse - Yes, I ordered both rear and front tires as well as fork lift to get the the front end off the ground. After the responses above and some research it was clearly the way to go.
@Synycalwon - As @KeepRidin stated you'll need a balancing stand which I ordered. From the videos I watched it's an easy process provided you have the appropriate tools to execute it properly which in this case is basically a quality stand and the necessary weights to balance the wheel. Not to mention all the tools needed to remove the wheels, get the old tires off, new ones on, etc.

All in all though from the videos I watched it seems a relatively straightforward activity and one that may seem like a big challenge at first but, like of maintenance activities, after you do it once it won't be nearly as daunting. At least that's what I keep telling myself...lol

Chris

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Actually

@KeepRidin stated you'll need a balancing stand which I ordered. From the videos I watched it's an easy process provided you have the appropriate tools to execute it properly which in this case is basically a quality stand and the necessary weights to balance the wheel. Not to mention all the tools needed to remove the wheels, get the old tires off, new ones on, etc.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Well I have a balancer but no longer use it. Started using the ceramic beads about 4 years ago and have NO complaints. I intend to try Ride On next time. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I went with cheaper spoons instead of the MP, but this left me fighting to break the bead. This past tire I ended up ordering a bead breaker (doubles as a wheel holder while I fight with the tire) and I'll have a better air nozzle for next time, which should fix my current issue of getting air in fast enough (without the valve core) to set the new bead. Ended up taking my front tire to a local shop this last go around and admitting defeat, luckily it took the guy less than 60 seconds and they didn't charge me a dime.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good info on balancing tires, thanks. Just wanted to bring it up in case anyone else reading the thread later would have the info.

I don't really have the setup to attempt it myself (apartment complex with no garage), even if I did no longer have the patience to mess with that kind of stuff. So I'll stick to letting the dealer do the dirty work while I grab a bite to eat and chill at a restaurant nearby. :grin2:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@Synycalwon - I like that plan but with a kid in college and another on the verge of college I'm saving my pennies...lol As well, my son just got a starter bike so I want him to learn these habits from the beginning. Hopefully it all goes as smoothly for me as it does on the YouTube videos and I don't end up having to take them to a local shop to get them over the finish line as @KeepRidin did.

Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had trouble getting the tires on the bead, make sure to get the bead nice and soapy and try several times to air up with full PSI I have a 60gallon 6 psi compressor ;a pancake compressor won’t do it. I had to bounce the tire a few times to seat the bead.

Oh and replace the valve stems, you will need a valve tool; I also have leftover valve stems (factory size) and basic pulling tool.
PM if interested.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@texasnurse - Damn, wish I had logged in last night to see your offer and that I'd read the service manual before last night and seen the recommendation to replace the whole valve as my plan was to just remove the core (tool purchased) and put it back in as was done in the MC Garage and other videos I watched.

In terms of the air compressor I have a fairly beefy one so will crank up the PSI and hopefully will be ok. And yes, plenty of soap. MC Garage used Windex ... based on your experience do you have a preferred lubricant?

And speaking of the manual, I will need to go to the auto parts store and get some high temp grease.

As for the valve puller and stems, I will send a PM...THANK YOU!

Chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What size rubber valve stem does our beloved Vulcan S use?

Same on front and rear?

If I'm going to replace them I will need to get the right ones and unfortunately if the info is in the service manual I didn't see it and I'm at work now so not in position to check. And just in case I can't work out timing with @texasnurse this morning I may go ahead and order from Amazon...but before I do that I need confidence I'm ordering the right size.

Looking at Bikemaster I see they have 10mm and 15mm rubber valve stems. Interestingly they have two different 10MM stems, the TR412 and TR413, but I don't see any explanation of the difference between the two on their site. As well, their 15mm stem is also labels TR412. I am confused...LOL!!

Finding a stem puller isn't nearly so complicated but if I'm going to the route of replacing the entire valve stem I damn well need the right one.

Who knows the answer?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What size rubber valve stem does our beloved Vulcan S use?

Same on front and rear?

If I'm going to replace them I will need to get the right ones and unfortunately if the info is in the service manual I didn't see it and I'm at work now so not in position to check. And just in case I can't work out timing with @texasnurse this morning I may go ahead and order from Amazon...but before I do that I need confidence I'm ordering the right size.

Looking at Bikemaster I see they have 10mm and 15mm rubber valve stems. Interestingly they have two different 10MM stems, the TR412 and TR413, but I don't see any explanation of the difference between the two on their site. As well, their 15mm stem is also labels TR412. I am confused...LOL!!

Finding a stem puller isn't nearly so complicated but if I'm going to the route of replacing the entire valve stem I damn well need the right one.

Who knows the answer?

Tr412 is the factory stem

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Cool...I'd probably go with something like that if I didn't already have 90 degree attachments. But very good for those that haven't done gone to 90 degrees yet...makes it MUCH easier to check your pressure and add PSI.

Question I have is that while the product description says "10mm" all of the other references say "11.3mm" which leaves me wondering if 10mm stems would be the right choice or if I need to search for 11.3mm now.
@KeepRidin - Am I correct then that these unscrew for install and you screw the base back on once it's threaded through the hole in the rim? As opposed to the rubber stems that get pulled through the hole in order to seat in the opening.

As I think about it while typing this, since my son just got a used starter bike I could replace my stems with something these and just give my 90 degree extensions to him. Please let me know about these aluminum stems and how they're installed.

I'm trying to decide what to do and communicate with @texasnurse in time to make a decision today and order/ship what I need today so I can knock this out in time to get some riding done this weekend.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
@ChrisHead You are correct on install. I put a dab of locktite on the threads just to be safe. I was worried about leaks around the stem at first but 6 months later I haven't had to add a single PSI, so I think we're good. There is enough space inside the wheel to get a socket on the nut, and I used a decent set of channel locks with a rag to hold the stem side.

I wish I would've measured these before install as the product description is very confusing, I just hoped for the best and was glad it worked, lol.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I wonder if those angle valves mess with your wheel balance? I am sure the wheels would have to be balanced once they are installed. So far I haven't had any major issues checking my tire pressure or putting some air in with the regular valves installed.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Ummmm

I wonder if those angle valves mess with your wheel balance? I am sure the wheels would have to be balanced once they are installed. So far I haven't had any major issues checking my tire pressure or putting some air in with the regular valves installed.

And another advantage of balancing beads. :grin2:. I put them on all my scooters. Now if I just remembered to have them facing right so I could reach them easier,:nerd:
the ceramic beads ( or Ride On ) makes it a plug and play event.
https://www.ride-on.com/

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
21 - 40 of 64 Posts