Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see alot of people who replace tires go with dunlop, and michelin. i don't see anyone mention the avon venom or the metzler marathon.

why is that? i have used the avon and the metzler on all my bikes previously and i thought they were great tires. the avons were sticky as bubble gum, i put it on my 800 intruder. the metzler i put on my 1500 and they handled great and lasted forever. is there a reason folks seem to prefer other tires now? when i used them it was over 10 yrs ago, so maybe things have changed? i don't actually need tires right now, i'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
what size does your front and rear take?

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
for most cruisers the Power Commanders are hard to beat handle great Dual compound and long life with even aggressive riding. Since I have a lighter bike ( and run to the mountains to chase Ducs) I am trying the road 4 & 5 ( cant get the five in an 18 inch)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what size does your front and rear take?
the front is 80/90x21
the rear is 180/70x15

but like i said, i'm not looking for tires now. the bike only has 600 miles on it. i've barely scrubbed the coating off of the stock tires so far. they seem like decent tires, i have no complaints. i have been reading the forum for a couple months, and noticed people seemed to have a tire preference, and was wondering what it was that made them prefer it over other tires i've had good experiences with. i try to learn as much as i can about things, so when the time comes, i can make an informed decision as possible. it's probably comically anal of me, but i guess part of me enjoys the research. there is TONS of info on this forum, i am learning alot from the folks here. for someone like me who has been out of it for 10+ yrs, it's a pretty valuable resource. thank you collectively, for that btw.
:grin2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for most cruisers the Power Commanders are hard to beat handle great Dual compound and long life with even aggressive riding. Since I have a lighter bike ( and run to the mountains to chase Ducs) I am trying the road 4 & 5 ( cant get the five in an 18 inch)

the 900c is a porker, all things considered, at 625 lbs wet, (i added 14 lbs for bags, and a windshield and lowers, a guesstimate) and only 900 cc.
the 800 intruder i had was only 475, but was also alot less bike in physical size. it was a really fun cruiser with lots of lean angle to it. on those i used the avon venoms.
the intruder lc was 680 heavy but comparitively light when you look at say, a 1600 roadstar's portly 750 lbs. i used the marathons on the lc.
both of those bikes saw a dramatic improvement over the stock bridgestones by any yardstick one might employ. if i could see similar improvements when the time for new tires eventually comes on this bike (the 900 vulcan) that would be something to look forward to. i have no complaints about what's on there now, but i've barely scrubbed the coating off of them so far

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just went by what I read and the reviews.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts