Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question on tire pressure. My Dunlop OEM tires have 41psi stamped on the tires as max pressure at a load of 677 lbs. The 900 Clasic LT Operating Manual says the pressure should be 28 lbs front and back for up to 215 lbs load above bike wet weight. Which is correct. Seems like a large discrepancy.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
most are running 38 psi on the rear as far as i know

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
41 is not the recommended pressure, it's the most the tire will safely hold. Only you can find what works best for you. I wouldn't go under the manual's psi or over the max on the tire.
Lower = smoother ride, lower tire life.
Higher = more road feel, longer tire life.
Balance those two against how the bike performs at different pressures and you get your number.

When I switched to Metzler tires I found that they recommend higher pressures than Kawi does and I like the performance better at the higher pressures. But that's with the Metz tires. When I was hating my Dunnies, I was running Kawi recommended pressure front and rear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
well I will share that 11 front and 12 back was terrible... Lol... if you saw my other post about not checking pressures after dealership service (yea they don't always check for you)

but I will say that 32 F, 36 Back is mighty nice handling for me alone @ 148lbs... have not tried with the bride @ 150 = 298 total but gotta believe it would be fine.....:D after doing 300 miles 2-up at the lower pressures bitching all the way about her not helping in the corners... :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Running 38 front (Metzler 880), 40 rear (Dunlop OEM). I was running 28 psi in the front (Dunlop OEM) and it wore out at 5500 miles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
36 - 37 front and 39 - 40 rear - ( I guess I'm a super-light-weight => 64 kg's)

The stock Dunnies are crap - The Metzeler 880 handle sooo much better and last longer even here on our NOT PERFECT roads!!

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts