Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from my 4200 mi trip this last weekend and I was washing the bike and found a screw in my front tire. It's just off to the left side of the contact patch of the tire. It looks like it has been there for a while. It I know it wasn't there before my trip. I called my dealer today about getting it pluged or patched and they said they don't do that and quoted me for a replacement tire. I have just about 7000 mi on the original tires and I've been reading here people arn't even getting that many miles on their stock tires but the front still looks good and back is getting down there but there is still tread in the center. I was hoping to get at least the rest of the summer out of them. Is this normal not to plug or patch a motorcycle tire? Can or will a car tire shop do it or is it up to me doing it if I want to plug it? Also, plug or patch does it matter? I believe the Vaquero is a tubeless tire. One, I've never had a tubeless tire bike or have had to patch a bike tire. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's been my experience in Canada that most "Brand Sanctioned" Motorcycle Dealers will not plug or patch a tubeless motorcycle tire. They will claim liability and road safety issues and then try to sell you a new tire. In your case, you are just about due anyway.

However, many independent motorcycle mechanics will Plug & Patch a tubeless tire if the hole is not too large or too near the sidewall and if the rest of the tire is in generally good shape.

Edit: The other posts reminded me that even the independents will generally only plug & patch rear tires. With the front tire, all bets are off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Personally, the front tire being plugged or patched scares me more than the rear tire being fixed. I am riding on a car tire on the rear and I did get it plugged a long time ago at a car shop. They told me a patch would be better but, of course, being a car shop, they could not remove the wheel and do that. So I was told it would be five bucks, cash only, no warranty, no receipt. Many miles later, everything is still fine. But in your case, I would suck it up and buy a new tire. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recommend replacing the front tire. Thats a critical component to handling a big bike (i have the 2011 vaquero as well) and i would not take the chance. I know folks who will plug a rear tire and ride it with no issues. A front tire though is a different animal altogether.

I carry mushroom tire plugs on my bike, but thats for the emergency temporary fix on the side of the road to get me to a new tire.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
plug/patch?

I got home from my 4200 mi trip this last weekend and I was washing the bike and found a screw in my front tire. It's just off to the left side of the contact patch of the tire. It looks like it has been there for a while. It I know it wasn't there before my trip. I called my dealer today about getting it pluged or patched and they said they don't do that and quoted me for a replacement tire. I have just about 7000 mi on the original tires and I've been reading here people arn't even getting that many miles on their stock tires but the front still looks good and back is getting down there but there is still tread in the center. I was hoping to get at least the rest of the summer out of them. Is this normal not to plug or patch a motorcycle tire? Can or will a car tire shop do it or is it up to me doing it if I want to plug it? Also, plug or patch does it matter? I believe the Vaquero is a tubeless tire. One, I've never had a tubeless tire bike or have had to patch a bike tire. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
BigA, check out this plugger called the Stop N Go Tire Plugger. I just ordered one, after being shown one by a friend. He said he used it once and it was very easy to use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would agree, back tire maybe, front tire no way, its not worth the risk. If your front tire suddenly deflates, you would be hard pressed to control the bike, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The scariest day of my life was when I had a front tire blow out on the hyway and believe me that is something you do not want to chance. If you must save the tire take it off and do a really good job of vulcanizing a top grade patch to the inside and make sure it has been done proper and has 100% bond. And make sure to note the restrictions and rules for patching from the tire manufacturer. The inner linner is special and takes special care to patch to it !

·
Registered
113 Posts
The scariest day of my life was when I had a front tire blow out on the hyway and believe me that is something you do not want to chance. If you must save the tire take it off and do a really good job of vulcanizing a top grade patch to the inside and make sure it has been done proper and has 100% bond. And make sure to note the restrictions and rules for patching from the tire manufacturer. The inner linner is special and takes special care to patch to it !
Well said I do carry a plug kit, never had to use it(knock on wood) If I did it would only be to get me somewhere to get a new tire.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Replace it its not worth your life !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts