Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding through town a couple of days ago, I heard what I thought was a rock getting pinched and thrown from the back tire. Parked the bike in the garage and packed the van (Ya, I know) for a trip to the cabin. Got home last night and unpacked the van. (Ya, I know) Don't know what made me do it, but I started thinking about that "rock" and went over to check and see if there was any damage. Well, I pulled a 3" piece of a Craftsman 1/4" allen wrench out of the middle of the tread. The tire is an Avon 200/60 Venom with about 3k on it and looking like new. So, I put a plug in it and filled her back up. Question here is.... anyone else do this and how did it work for you?

Not sure I want the wife on the back if I did something unsafe, aka stupid.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
In the center of the tread, should be ok, but a plug/patch would be better. Its like a patch that you pull from the inside out like a plug. Trouble is, many shops wont do it for a bike. Would keep an eye on the tread for a few rides, if all looks good, wear it out. This is just how I would do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Heres a great analogy. . would you have sex with a rubber thats been patched

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Rick and Steve,
I just love democracy.........all opinions welcome and respected. I guess if it was just me I would just continue to run with it, but with my wife on the back a lot of the time, I think I will order a new one. Love the Avon, so that is what I will stay with. Thanks again guys!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I myself when younger probably would have plugged it, to try and save a couple bucks. especially after just buying the dang tire. The problem is you could have compromised the radial belt in the tire.
Not sure if this is a option, could one install a tube? but the concerns come back to the compromise of the belt. Bad part is probably never have an issue, go and put your wife on the bike, off on a 4 hour weekend getaway, and then it pops.
At least with new, you have piece of mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me get my 2 cents worth in. Opinions are like a** holes, so here is mine. If the plug is holding...I say I would ride it. Now, having said that...Plugs are handy if you are in a bind and trying to get home. Unfortunately, (not always) sometimes plugs will begin to leak. They are not always a long term fix. I would put a patch in and be done with it if it begins to leak.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Rear tire right in the center? If it were me, I would plug it and ride it. Plug will probably start to leak, but that is when I would shove it in the tire and plug it again. I would not be hitting supersonic speeds in it, but I would feel ok on it. But each is to their own. I plugged the rear of the factory Bridgestone (1200 mi) and ran it for another 2 before I replaced it. I shreaded the tread because I rode it flat to get to a gas station. I was on the blue ridge parkway in NC and was almost to cherokee.

·
Registered
361 Posts
D55, what's ya life worth? more importantly what's ya wife's life worth?
If ya having doubts about the repair and the tyre's integrity chuck it out! Better safe than sorry I suppose.

another aspect to consider. Ya have an off and the both of ya get out ok? BUT, ya Wife finds out about the tyre issue (cos they always do eh) and ya dead meat man!

your choice, I know what I'd be doing :)
Ando

·
Registered
102 Posts
as a mechanic i regularly repair punctures. remove the tire and have it vulcanized by a tire company(not sure if all can do) or as rick said a mushroom type plug that is pulled from the inside out and bonded to the tire. the head is up to 25/30mm so is not coming thru. obviously the repair depends on the size of the hole and position. no side wall repairs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts