Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 900 for a ride this morning with the new Commander IIs. About 10 miles in hit a nice smooth patch of road (not that common around here) and notices a strange vibration. I've had the tires about a week and hadn't notice this before. Got off can checked the pressure which was about 38 hot. Then noticed the rear wheel does not have any balance weights at all. There are two on the front. I don't know if the guy who mounted the tires installed any weights on the rear or not but seems odd there would not be any at all. Perhaps they fell off? Can that happen?

I'll check with him tomorrow but probably need to have the wheels balanced, at least the rear.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Its possible they came off, but also possible it was close enough he did feel it needed weight added. My Voyager had 2 oz. on the back when new but the front didnt have any.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have spokes or solid rims ? Stick on weights fall off all the time. It would be odd for weights clamped to the spokes to fall off.
It's a classic with spokes. Front has two clamp on weights so I assume he would have used those on the rear as well. Also, the rim is clean. No evidence on weights previously stuck on.

He had the pressure at 40 and when installed. I lowered the pressure to 37 to see if it would reduce the bounce, and then to 34 cold. That's when I felt the vibration, really more of a wobble, which is why I suspect the wheel needs to balanced. Raising the pressure back up to 38 made it much better again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had to have mine balanced recently. Cost me $46 mine were so out of balance the vibration was horrible. The tires started cupping as we'll so look for that. I run my air pressure at 40 lbs seems to ride better that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts