Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many variables to this but I was wondering what you guys thought. I have always been told that I should go through 2 rear tires on average for every front tire on my bike. I've found that this is simply not true for my bike.

I have a VN900 classic, pirelli MT66 tires front and back on my bike. I have a bit more than 36000 miles on her right now and this is my third tire rotation with this brand of tires. Much better than the stock Dunlops btw.

I get about 10,000 miles per set of tires, but have found that I need to replace both front and back at the same time. Neither tire is worn to the point that threads show, but the both are completely without tread at around 10,000 miles. Anyone else find this pattern is true for them as well?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Two rear to one front is about what I see on my VN2K and on my crotch rocket.

I have not yet seen a noteworthy different tire life just by changing brands of the same style/type of tire.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it depends a lot on your riding style. That has never been true for me either.

I'm a little spirited with the throttle at times but not real aggressive. I also almost never ride above 70 MPH. The faster you go, the more "scrub" you get on the rear tire as it pushes harder and harder to cut the wind.

With a bike that has a skinny front and a wide rear, I've sometimes had to replace the front twice to one rear. Some uneven wear on the front was involved with that in some cases though.
I take the same route to work day in and day out and it has alot of pretty tight curves in it along with about 10 minutes of superslab each way. I ride the rural curves at 65 to 70 mph and the superslab at 75 to 80 (just to keep from getting run over!) I may try a different route this year and see if that makes any difference on the front tire's life.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm not surprised that Whoaru99 goes through 2 rear tires to one front tire. That V2K has some serious torque at the rear tire, so I'm sure it's quite the tire shredder. The price one pays for that kind of fun. The 900 is a whole lot milder in its power delivery, so you should have to replace both front and rear tires at the same time. It's just not the powerhouse that the V2K is. Now, on the flip side, the tires that come stock on the 900 are junk and on the average, last only about 5000--6000 miles. I had to replace the OEM's on my wife's 900LT at 5400 miles. The rear was down to the wear bars and was sporting a rather square profile. The front wasn't too far behind. I put on a set of Metzeler ME880's and with 5000 miles on them, they look close to new! Big difference. I think you observations are normal.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When I bought my 900 Classic, I had brand new tires put on it. The bike had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it, and I had no interest in buying a new (to me) bike and turning around and slapping new rubber on it in no time flat. I got the dealer to throw in two new tires for free. They slapped on D404 Dunlops. At around 16,000 miles (or, 8k miles since new) the D404 Dunlop had zero treat at the centerline. Lots of tread on the edge and some meat elsewhere, but it had worn completely smooth in the middle. (Lots of highway riding, can ya tell? lol). As it sits, with 20,500 miles, the ME-880 I replaced it with still looks new, and the front D404 is not long for this world. It still has tread, just not much. I guess 'by the book' it's overdue for a tire swap. I've got a Michelin to throw on there it's just a matter of getting time to go down to the shop and getting them put on!

So... as has been covered everyone is different, but it looks like on this 900, it'll be 8,000 miles on the rear, 12,500 miles to the front. That doesn't work out to be 2 fronts to a rear!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
So... as has been covered everyone is different, but it looks like on this 900, it'll be 8,000 miles on the rear, 12,500 miles to the front. That doesn't work out to be 2 fronts to a rear!
No, that's about 1.6 rears to 1 front, vs. 2 rears to 1 front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts