Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my 900 Classic with around 12,000 miles on it. The back tire was SHOT. I negotiated the price for rear and front tire replacement, figuring the front would need to be replaced soon as well. I'm almost at 16,000 miles now and the tire doesn't look much different than before. Is this the original tire, or could the original owner have changed the front tire out once already? He definitely wasn't the type to seek out an OEM tire (the tire is a Dunlop 404). Plus he SAID he'd never replaced either tire.:confused:

I'm used to sport bike tires with their 3-4000 mile life expectancy.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Most guys won't lie about NOT replacing tires. It's probably the original. If it's bald (or even close to it) replace it. I'm a pretty easy going rider and I got 12-14K out of rear tires, and always replaced the fronts at the same time (that's not necessary, but I was sporting whitewalls and wanted them looking good).

If you're used to riding sport bikes, you might get a little less.

I'm convinced that hard engine braking is more responsible for rear tire wear than most anything else. I've learned to get the revs up before letting out the clutch (except in the occasional "oh shit" moment).

·
Registered
358 Posts
My experience is 1 front replacement for every 2 rear replacements.
I did replace both when I decided to rid myself of the stock Dunlops. I'm on my second ME880 rear tire, it's at about 14k. Still my first ME880 front tire and it could probably go a few thousand more miles.
Just purchased a pair of Michelin Commander II's that'll be put on in the next week or two. Since the ME880s are radial and the Michelins are bias-ply, I want to match the tire construction front and rear, so the front ME880 will be retired a little early.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My Custom has about 13000 kms with stock tires. I am not a "hard" rider, but I do like throwing it around in the twisties when I can. So, in the winter (or early fall) I will be replacing them. The back is worn out in the centre (still have some good life left) and the front has tons of tread left.

I am leaving on a 2200 km trip this Sunday. Factoring in that ride plus a few other rides before season ends, and I should close out the season and my tires) at about 17000kms.

Now all I have to do is decide between the Metz 880's, Pirelli Route MT66's, or the night Dragons.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cyclesarge,

I replaced both front and rear tires at 4400 miles. Back tire was bare. I am on my 3d rear (Metzler 880s x2) and only the 2d front (ME 880). My front tires wear significantly less than my rears. Currently at 21000 + miles. SO, I have around 17000 miles on my front tire and it looks great. I am sure by spring I'll need another rear tire, but I suspect my front will still be ok.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I did replace both when I decided to rid myself of the stock Dunlops. I'm on my second ME880 rear tire, it's at about 14k. Still my first ME880 front tire and it could probably go a few thousand more miles.
Just purchased a pair of Michelin Commander II's that'll be put on in the next week or two. Since the ME880s are radial and the Michelins are bias-ply, I want to match the tire construction front and rear, so the front ME880 will be retired a little early.
Didn't like ME880's ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the input. I knew cruisers got more miles out of their tires, but wasn't really sure HOW MANY more miles. I will be replacing the front soon regardless. Winter (and the rain that comes with it) will be hitting soon, so I'd like to have maximum tread depth for that.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I have nearly 19,000 miles on my 2011 Vaquero, and gone through two sets of Bridgestone tires, at each set wearing out way too early.

Now running Commander IIs and with 6,000 miles on them and they have hardly even worn. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just replaced my original Dunlop tires yesterday on my 2009 Classic after 17,000 miles with another set of Dunlop tires.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I just replaced my original Dunlop tires yesterday on my 2009 Classic after 17,000 miles with another set of Dunlop tires.

Were you able to get the OEM size and model, or did you get something different?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just passed 14,000 miles on my stock Dunlops this week and replaced them with Metzler ME880 tires front and back. The stock rear was a little below spec. and the front was at spec.. The Metzlers really stick to the road and I have more confidence in the twisties compared to the stock tires; nice tires.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are some of the ME880s radial, while others are bias?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think most 880s are bias-ply, the 90/90 and 200/70 on my Custom are, although at least one size they offer is a radial (170/60VR-17), probably due to the higher "V" speed rating. If a tire size doesn't have an "R" in it after the speed rating letter, it's a bias-ply. My guess is that "H" speed rating/bias-ply construction is more than adequate for the relatively low cruising/top speeds of most cruiser bikes. Cruiser tires are designed for ride quality, longevity, and (relatively) low speed cornering and handling, probably in that order. Sport bike and racing tires operate in much more demanding conditions and are a different breed- SH.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A brand/model of tire performs differently on various different bike models.

While the Metzler is a favorite replacement tire for 900's, the Nomad crowd believes it to be the worst, of a limited number of available replacement choices. (only 5-6 brands/models made in the oem size). Yes, I was very surprised about this too. But, the negative feeling is pretty universal.

Point here is, if you are going with opinions, which is what forums are about, then stick with the statements on 900 use.

As such, let me comment on my 900 experience.

INMO, various regions of the country will have a better choice of tire, based on similar riding styles. As in a similar riding style in Texas or Arizona probably wants a different tire than the same style rider in Oregon or Massachusetts.

A few years ago, I chose the Pierelli MT 66 for a replacement tire on my 900. Changed out at 9,000 miles, as rear was "done". Sold MC in May with 18,000mi, tires still looked to have a half life left. Performance was awesome, compared to OEM Dunlops. Rain, road snakes, metal bridges all no problem. Frost heaves, much better.

Just to make a different tire for different model arguement, let me talk about OEM's on the Nomad. Bridgestones, 6 years old, 3,800 miles. Frost heaves and road snakes, no problem. Rain ok at best. Metal bridges, are like the OEM 900 Dunlops, awful.

Replacing tires over the winter, as they are at the "age" limit. Now you might think I would want Pierelli's. But, not made in the sizes. Best choice for MC tires, according to the forum opinions, Avon Cobra's.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tires and tire use etc.

I have always preferred the ME880's after the oem's gave up. I never tried anything else so I am not basing my preference on anything other than I have always gotten excellent life from the Metzler, usually about 20,000 on the rear, and I change both at the same time. I am interested to know the difference in the radial and the bias tires. I would appreciate input from those who have run the radials in comparison to the bias. I am currently riding an 07 900 I ride one up and 2-3 times a year I take a week long ride with about 60 lbs of gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the same OEM size and model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts