Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much are you guys and gals paying for labor on the install of a rear tire for a Voyager 1700? I picked up a Commander II for the rear and I am getting wild estimates. One dealer quoted $450 just for the labor!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had the best luck going to an independent ownr shop and paid 45 dollors for mount and balance rear and 30 dollors for front.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
30~50ish seems about right for all the shops out here. Independant shops tend to be a smidge cheaper than the dealers. Often you'll get a discount if you buy the tires from the shop. One near me has a 'free mounting and balance' sale every year, where, you guessed it, they mount it for free (when you buy it from them of course).

Place nearest me, front or rear, is $50 if you bring the tire in. $25 if you buy the tire from them. That's for any 'cruiser' If they have to remove saddlebags there's a surcharge, and bikes like Honda Goldwings are upwards of $100 to get a rear tire replaced.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, take the wheel off yourself and bring it in. Most places won't charge very much at all for the mount/balance if you do that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just purchased a Commander II here in Canada for $217 Canadian and $35 to mount and balance.I removed and installed Wheel/tire on Voyager and a bit of a pain but not complicated.I would think an extra hours labour to re and re the rear tire if I had the dealer do it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I dont have a lot of independent shops around me so I end up going to Iron Pony (stealership would be my likely alternative.) I am probably going to look a little harder for an independent when I need my rear tire installed though as Iron Pony charges $80 for the rear. I paid $60 for the front. :beat-up:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was just the other day from the Kawasaki Dealer in Hutchinson,Ks. They ordered the tire and removed the rear tire, mounted and balanced. Tire was $ 205.00 and the remove,mount and balance and place back on motorcycle was $ 70.00. plus Kansas sales tax @ 8 %.
Didn't feel this was bad comparing to what amount of labor involved with removing hard bags and taking down one side of the exhaust.

·
Registered
138 Posts
supply and fit the commander 2 was $300 in ozz with tax

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
How much are you guys and gals paying for labor on the install of a rear tire for a Voyager 1700? I picked up a Commander II for the rear and I am getting wild estimates. One dealer quoted $450 just for the labor!!!
OMG Need to shop around Dude. 450 just for the mount. I would say that place just dont want to mess with your tire and is trying to scare you off. That would scare me off. I have had a couple tires mounted on rear out on the road trips for less than 300 bucks including tire, mount, balance and labor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just got a quote from my local moto shop. $135 to mount front and rear on my 900 classic belt drive. It may be different if belt, chain, or shaft are in play. I do not know what the new nomads have, but that may be why it is higher for your bike. Ironically, the gentleman also said it would be more if saddle bags were in play. I told him I had throw over just under the seat and he asked me to take them off? Wow, he couldn't even pop the seat off to do this, it would have costed me more. Needless to say, I am searching for a better deal, and one more customer friendly... Good luck...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine was just the other day from the Kawasaki Dealer in Hutchinson,Ks. They ordered the tire and removed the rear tire, mounted and balanced. Tire was $ 205.00 and the remove,mount and balance and place back on motorcycle was $ 70.00. plus Kansas sales tax @ 8 %.
Didn't feel this was bad comparing to what amount of labor involved with removing hard bags and taking down one side of the exhaust.
For what tire?

You can get the commander II from Revzilla.com for less than $120 with free shipping

Front is like $95.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I replaced the tires on my nomad I was charged $80 for front and rear. I bought the tires from my dealer. They would match or come within $5 of the internet prices. The rear tire takes them around 1.5 hrs to replace. They have to remove the bag, exhaust, rotor, pulley...ect on one side. The front is a snap except for the brakes. $450 in highway robbery!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dark eiders

Where do you have a car tire installed on the motorcycle? I am guessing not at the dealer at any cost.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
For what tire?

You can get the commander II from Revzilla.com for less than $120 with free shipping

Front is like $95.
Say what? What size tire you putting on your bike? The 180/65B16 is $176.64 on revzilla.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Say what? What size tire you putting on your bike? The 180/65B16 is $176.64 on revzilla.
You're right, my bad. I have it bookmarked and seen the price without choosing the correct tire size. Still $30 cheaper with free shipping. And the front is considerably cheaper than any stealer around here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The exhaust does not need to removed to replace rear tire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems there is a lot of variation in tire mounting prices, wow. I pay $26 to have tire mounted, of course that means that I remove wheels.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts