Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time to replace my stockers and I wanted a bit of advice. I know there's lots of threads about this already but I had trouble finding info on the front tire.

Firstly, I wasn't sure if I should go with Metzler or Pirelli but it seems I can do a little better for the money with the Night Dragons vs ME880s.

That said, I want a 200/70-15 rear tire. That's decided. But what do I do for the front? I've heard that 90/90-21s give a chance of fender rub, especially when met with gravel (i have a gravel driveway). I wouldn't want to risk or mod at all so I'm looking for another option.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Well, I've been running the ME880 90/90 for 2 years now. The 'rubbing' issue isn't tire to fender. If you get a piece of gravel caught in the tread you can hear it drag along the inside of the fender. I happen to have a shot of the bike with the original tire and the Metz from nearly the same angle. I don't even like the look of the smaller tire. I won't go back.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much. Especially for the pictures. the 90/90 it is. Was just initially worried it wouldnt fit on a classic properly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks much. Especially for the pictures. the 90/90 it is. Was just initially worried it wouldnt fit on a classic properly.
The 90/90-21 won't considering the classic comes with a 16" rim on front, unless you have converted it and the fender, and fender mounts.

The stock for the front on a classic is 130/90-16, not sure if you can go bigger. Don't think there is room for a 150.

They make a 140/90-16 but it is designed for the rear. Not sure if it would matter or not.

But you want skinnier so you could do a METZELER LASERTEC 100/90-16 M/C 54H, FRONT. But it would be a short tire so it would drop your front end down. The overall diameter would be 2in smaller.

·
Registered
702 Posts
"The 90/90-21 won't considering the classic comes with a 16" rim on front, unless you have converted it and the fender, and fender mounts.

That's what I was thinking too...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn so basically unless I wanna convert the front end to a custom, I'm stuck with small tires.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No you are stuck with fat, small rims.

Some say that the wider front equals better stability at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice that your signature stated that you ride a classic. The custom uses different fork tubes, different rake at the trees, different wheel, tire and fender. That would have been a shock when the mechanic went to swap tires for you!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, thanks to Jace for saving me the time, money, and embarrassment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts