Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on setting up my 08 VN900 to be an adventure bike and have tire questions about what front tire to run. It currently has an stock tire up front which I dislike because it follows every rut in the road or gravel and makes for interesting rides at times. I would like to move to the 90/90-21 to get a little better handling.

Now the million dollar question what tire to run? The bike sits at around 600lbs and probably will push 900 to 1k when its loaded and I'm on it. I looked at the ME880, but I'm not sold on it for the gravel roads I run. I went by the dealership and when I asked the parts clerk he said my bike would wear out any dual-sport tire fast and most likely cause them to cup. I don't know if I really believe that but this is the first cruiser I'm looking at running this way.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
im sure those big ole bmw dual purpose / adventure bikes are every bit as heavy as a vn900 so whatever they run should work for you....IF it is made in the size you need...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Heaps of 90/90R21 options like Metzler Tourance for mild or Enduro Sahara 3 for more hard core.

Tourance

Enduro Sahara 3

I don't like your chances for the rear though

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Those are the ones I've been looking at. I figure tires are tires as long as they are weight rated the same.

As for the rear I was looking at going Darkside to see how that would work when running gravel roads.

Edit: After typing my reply I did some more digging and the Tourance and ME880 at a 90/90-21 actually have the same load rating of 467lbs. And I also dug up the weights of the R 1200 GS which is 514lbs vs the vn900c at 610lbs.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would love to see pics of your bike once it's set up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You're 900 has a bit more torque than a lot of dual sports so it's possible, if you run it hard, you'll see shorter life on the rear. Other'n that, have fun and show us some pics when it's done!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Look your front fender, with 90/90 21 will rub frequently on gravel roads.... you must install a brackets to rise the fender.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another thing you might want to think about is the rocks that would get flung at your radiator with that beefier tire and running on gravel.

I don't know how you could protect it any better, but just maybe something to keep an eye on.

Sounds like you will have a blast. Post some pics! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have plans to add a rock guard to protect the front and was going to incorporate an improved radiator guard with it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Why not just get a decent dual sport bike like the 650 VStrom? I think the short travel suspension on the Vulcan would beat you to death on unpaved roads. Not only that, the frame and steering geometry of the cruiser isn't meant for "adventure" touring/riding.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a dual sport bike...kind of.....Converted a VX800 to a dual sport two years ago.

I like to travel where every my mood and time takes me. By no means am I going to run single tracks with the Vulcan, but traveling down gravel roads or where every else I decide to go is what I'm after. I'm working on the tires and next winter most likely I'll send the front forks off to GMD-Computrack in Atlanta and have them re-work them to help absorb pot holes and wash board found on most gravel roads.

Just my thing I guess. Never liked doing whats normal or necessarily right.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Really stupid question

What's an "adventure bike?" I have to run up and down gravel roads just to get to and from pavement...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live about 2 miles off the pavement and a lot of friends do as well, so part of what I'm doing is to make it a little easier to ride on the gravel.

Now for what adventure bike is take a look at the link below. In short its pretty much about setting a bike up to travel the world and take whatever path you want while carrying everything you need on the bike with you.

www.advrider.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here are the pics of the Metzler Tourance mounted up. No front fender as the shop said it wouldn't fit. I'm not sure how close it is, but once I get the fender home I'll get a closer look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Why not just get a decent dual sport bike like the 650 VStrom? I think the short travel suspension on the Vulcan would beat you to death on unpaved roads. Not only that, the frame and steering geometry of the cruiser isn't meant for "adventure" touring/riding.
that also doesnt include ground clearance and peg placement which is all important to allow weight transfer around the bike ...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well here are the pics of the Metzler Tourance mounted up. No front fender as the shop said it wouldn't fit. I'm not sure how close it is, but once I get the fender home I'll get a closer look.
the fender doesn´t fit because the tire is so tall and maybe if you make a pair of risers in both sides of the fender (where the bolts are) you gain 1" of cleareance and use it..... i´m making these risers because i´have exedra max 90/90 21 on front and frequently touches de inner support of the fender up and side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts