Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang, just got a set of metz me880's this spring, 6000 miles and the back don't look good.
front looks fine.

pressure is fine.

2300 mile mountain trip last month ate 'em up pretty good.

other than dark side, any idea's?

buddy likes the E3's by dunlop. they don't come in a 200.
Cobra's any better?

I've seen posts of folks getting 10K + on tires... V2K's getting any mileage?

Irritating. It's only August and I'd guess it won't last a whole season.
If I could get 10K, I think i'd be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Tire eater

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem isn't the tires.....Metzler says that the right wrist is the cause of your tire woes...I have the fifth tire in 30,000 kms (20,000 mi) on right now. I don't do burnouts, slides, or doughnuts and I average about 6000 kms or 4000 mi to a Metz. I tried the Dunlops and two tries of the Battlax, and this is my second Metz. I hear that there are those people around that can run a V2K without romping the throttle, but I guess that I am not one of those....:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I think DANAD's right; it's real easy to "spin" the rear tire, even in 2nd or 3rd gear! The other major thing (air pressure being #1) affecting tire wear is the road surface itself. I primarily ride on decent roads most of the time. When I changed the Bridgestones, I had 7200 miles on them. The rear tire was still in good shape and probably would have made it to 9 to 10 K. The front tire was junk and start "cupping" at 5K. It still had decent tread left on it, but I couldn't stand the feel any longer. Changed to the Mets Marathon and hope they last longer, but time will tell. I ran 42 psi in the rear Stone and 40 in the front. I'm running 40 in both Mets tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem isn't the tires.....Metzler says that the right wrist is the cause of your tire woes...I have the fifth tire in 30,000 kms (20,000 mi) on right now. I don't do burnouts, slides, or doughnuts and I average about 6000 kms or 4000 mi to a Metz. I tried the Dunlops and two tries of the Battlax, and this is my second Metz. I hear that there are those people around that can run a V2K without romping the throttle, but I guess that I am not one of those....:cool:
That's why I titled it Tire eat'n Monster. I know the problem ain't the tires themselves. Except I think they could do better as a whole.
It's the bike... It can't be me.:rolleyes:
Anybody have any better luck with the Cobra's on a V2K?
They are cheaper from what I've seen.
After the noise that the stock front Battlax tire made, I'll never go there again. Thought I had a bad bearing. Was the front tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I think DANAD's right; it's real easy to "spin" the rear tire, even in 2nd or 3rd gear! The other major thing (air pressure being #1) affecting tire wear is the road surface itself. I primarily ride on decent roads most of the time. When I changed the Bridgestones, I had 7200 miles on them. The rear tire was still in good shape and probably would have made it to 9 to 10 K. The front tire was junk and start "cupping" at 5K. It still had decent tread left on it, but I couldn't stand the feel any longer. Changed to the Mets Marathon and hope they last longer, but time will tell. I ran 42 psi in the rear Stone and 40 in the front. I'm running 40 in both Mets tires.
I've got over 5000 miles on my second Bridgestone on the rear and 6000 on my second Bridgestone on the front and they both have at least 5000 left on them. I ride conservatively with two up, 75% of the time and HARD, solo the other 25%, but I watch the air pressure like a hawk . Am I just lucky??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got over 5000 miles on my second Bridgestone on the rear and 6000 on my second Bridgestone on the front and they both have at least 5000 left on them. I ride conservatively with two up, 75% of the time and HARD, solo the other 25%, but I watch the air pressure like a hawk . Am I just lucky??
Maybe.
I ride 2 up probably 99%.
Maybe I'm more aggressive than I think. I think the 2300 mile mountain trip is what did this Metz in.

My front Stone could've most likely went 10K if I could've put up with the noise. Back one was probably good for 8K. I replaced them both at 7200.

I've got 13200 now and back one is not looking good, but; front is fine.
So, right at 6K on the Metz's so far. The back one may be good for 8K, but; I'm not holding my breath. Probably 7K. I'd say front one is easy 10K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
It's been my experience that if you're a 5K miles per tire driver, that's about what you're going to get from any similar tire regardless of brand, unless you radically change your driving style.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I too have changed from Bridgestone to Metz 880 and thought the ride would be better.It was'nt,I have since installed Dynabeads and all the chatter has gone from the front and the ride is so smooth.They also claim that they improve tyre life.
cheers
 

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
Joined
·
5,618 Posts
smoke em if you got em..? or smooth as your babys butt.

the problem isn't the tires.....Metzler says that the right wrist is the cause of your tire woes. I hear that there are those people around that can run a V2K without romping the throttle, but I guess that I am not one of those....:cool:
nad'rs, I be one of those who can squeeze the buffalo out of a nickel. It takes a smooth and steady hand under all conditions. key word here is smooth. Even those pos stock stones yielded 10k front, 13k rear. Am now running metz with 14k front and recently swapped out the rear, so 4k rear so far. They both look good and will go the distance. I expect better numbers. Then again I am able to yield close to 50mpg avg out of this monster motor. have pushed that 6.2gal tank to 296 w/o running out..yikes!

Also, switching out the stock gear set for those eurogears knocked some bottom end-off the line punch (can you say tire eater?) and added 10% to the top end. This is only recent, 4k miles, but am confident it adds to the life of the...whole skoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
How do you know when it's time to change. My rear tire is a Dunlop with 2000 miles on it. It still has a 1/4 inch of tread, but the left side is definately wearing more than the middle and the right. Just wondering.

Nate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Thanks. Is 42 lbs the desired pressure?
42 psi is what's recommended by the manufacturer. It's normal for the left side of the tire to wear more than the center or right side if the roads you ride on are primarily are "crowned".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
nad'rs, I be one of those who can squeeze the buffalo out of a nickel. It takes a smooth and steady hand under all conditions. key word here is smooth. Even those pos stock stones yielded 10k front, 13k rear. Am now running metz with 14k front and recently swapped out the rear, so 4k rear so far. They both look good and will go the distance. I expect better numbers. Then again I am able to yield close to 50mpg avg out of this monster motor. have pushed that 6.2gal tank to 296 w/o running out..yikes!

Also, switching out the stock gear set for those eurogears knocked some bottom end-off the line punch (can you say tire eater?) and added 10% to the top end. This is only recent, 4k miles, but am confident it adds to the life of the...whole skoot.
What air pressure are you running the tires?
 

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
Joined
·
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Yeah,got nothing new for you here, got about 8k out of the back and another 1k on a dare. but recently changed to metz, hope there's more in them but I am probably dreaming (listening to you guys). Anyway, I'm having too much fun to worry about tread (just kidding).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
I got 7500 on the clock with the stock Brickstones and will get another 3000 out of them. They still look pretty good. I did notice a little flattening of the rear tire but still have more than half the tread left. Im just using the recommended psi and ride two up only once in a while. I dont beat on it but dont baby it either, goose her every now and then. The front tire looks fine.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top