Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 vn900d6f, just hit 8000 miles and noticed rear dunlop tire worn badly in center section, read several posts here that this is quite common, and so now shopping for metzeler 880 replacement.... my stock tires say "tube type" on sidewall, but have fixed steel valve stems on both rims, are there really tubes in these tires?? Am finding many listings for tires for this make/model kawi that show "tubeless".... got me wondering

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, there ARE tubes inside those "tubeless" tires. We need tubes on account of the spoked rims on the Classic. When the tire says "tubeless" it simply means it is capable of being used without a tube on the proper rim.

In my case, (and mine got bad around 8k too, just like yours) I replaced with Metz 880's and I had also ordered the replacement tubes from Metzeler to have ready just in case they were needed. The shop that did my install determined the old tubes were still new and good enough to be reused, so they did that. Now, I have the extra set of tubes ready and waiting for the next tire change.

BTW, my Metzelers now have about 17k on them, more than 2x the original tires and are still going strong. I also had Metzelers on my previous Vulcan 750 and got 28k before replacing those! You will love them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, there ARE tubes inside those "tubeless" tires. We need tubes on account of the spoked rims on the Classic. When the tire says "tubeless" it simply means it is capable of being used without a tube on the proper rim.

In my case, (and mine got bad around 8k too, just like yours) I replaced with Metz 880's and I had also ordered the replacement tubes from Metzeler to have ready just in case they were needed. The shop that did my install determined the old tubes were still new and good enough to be reused, so they did that. Now, I have the extra set of tubes ready and waiting for the next tire change.

BTW, my Metzelers now have about 17k on them, more than 2x the original tires and are still going strong. I also had Metzelers on my previous Vulcan 750 and got 28k before replacing those! You will love them.
+1 on the Metzlers

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Kenda Kruz on my V9D also state "tubeless", but I have heavy duty tubes in there. +1 to every thing Forest explained on the why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
replaced worn out dunlop at 6600 miles with a 170/80 pirrelli route 66 on my 900 LT (helped correct speedo)tire looks good at 12,500, seems to ride and handle as good or better than dunlop.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, the steel valvestems with a nut bolting them to the rim was the real headscratcher for me, always thought tubes had a rubber stem sticking up through the rim, (bicycle mentality), so this had me wondering. Getting tire in a couple weeks, looking forward to riding smooth again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts