Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearly positive that I know i can use the tire i'm going to buy, but never hurts to make sure i suppose.

I'm getting front and rear tires on the bike tomorrow, the guy told me that there were two options for the front, one for $170 and one for $222. The difference is the load speed rating, the cheaper tire is a 150/80-16 71H and the more expensive one is a 150/80-16 71V.

Now, I know that mother kaw says OEM replacement is the 71V, but I can get away with useing the 71H cant I? H rating is 130, WAY faster than I'll be going. V rating is 149, I dont even thing there is enough road around here to get that fast even if I thought the bike could do it. Both tires are load rating 71, so no difference there.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Not going to suggest what you should do, but I never put on tires with less load and or speed rating than the OEMs had.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Speed rating is not only for how fast you ride safely on the tire.
It also reflects the forces the tire can withstand while braking, acceleration and cornering.
IMO, stay with the recommended rating

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pearhead, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I keep hearing that and I can't find any evidence to back it up. The way they test a tires speed rating is by spinning it at max Load at every increasing speeds, no breaking involved. I don't see how the two are connected. Sounds like a salesman's angle to me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did not mean to imply that was part of the testing.
Only that it makes sense that a higher rated tire can withstand higher forces.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Pearhead, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I keep hearing that and I can't find any evidence to back it up. The way they test a tires speed rating is by spinning it at max Load at every increasing speeds, no breaking involved. I don't see how the two are connected. Sounds like a salesman's angle to me.

Perhaps from another angle...

Most everyone believes that companies build stuff as cheaply as possible to maximize profit potential. While the exact reason may not be completely obvious, why would Kawasaki spec in a more expensive V-rated tire if a H-(or lower) rated tire would be perfectly fine?

·
Registered
43 Posts
tire choices

If you use a rear tire on the front and turn it around you will get more mileage and longer life. I am running a Michilin commander II on the front and expect to get over 12,000 as compaired to a regular front tire and getting 5-7,000.
Klink

·
Registered
186 Posts
Klink.. only 5-6,000 in a front.???
WOW, I just swapped out my Exedra Max with 12,300 and could have gotten more....

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
Klink.. only 5-6,000 in a front.???
WOW, I just swapped out my Exedra Max with 12,300 and could have gotten more....
:p I'm glad to hear that. I just put an Exedra Max on mine. But, I just took off a Commander II that implied the high mileage life too. Only got 6k out of it. On their behalf, there was still tread left but the tire developed a flat spot in it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
702 Posts
speed rating

Perhaps from another angle...

Most everyone believes that companies build stuff as cheaply as possible to maximize profit potential. While the exact reason may not be completely obvious, why would Kawasaki spec in a more expensive V-rated tire if a H-(or lower) rated tire would be perfectly fine?
I can answer that question: CYA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts