Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who would like to use a machine.

Does anyone own a tire changer and how do they like theirs? How much did you pay for it?

Just had a rear tire mounted on the front and my shop said I was the first and last to get a CT mounted (they mounted the rear a month ago). They told a story of a guy who wanted a tire mounted that needed a tube and the guy said he just bought the one he had and did not want a new tube installed. The tube blew 2 days later and the rider was seriously injured. In court they showed the work order that had comments all over of their recommendations to use a new tube and the customer declining. The judge asked what the motorcycle manufacturer recommended and that was all he wanted to hear. The shop lost the law suit and exists no more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you mounted a tire made for the rear, or a car tire on the front. There is no problem mounting a motorcycle rear on the front. I had a battlax rear on the front of my GL1800 and was pleased

·
Registered
696 Posts
For those of us who would like to use a machine.

Does anyone own a tire changer and how do they like theirs? How much did you pay for it?

Just had a rear tire mounted on the front and my shop said I was the first and last to get a CT mounted (they mounted the rear a month ago). They told a story of a guy who wanted a tire mounted that needed a tube and the guy said he just bought the one he had and did not want a new tube installed. The tube blew 2 days later and the rider was seriously injured. In court they showed the work order that had comments all over of their recommendations to use a new tube and the customer declining. The judge asked what the motorcycle manufacturer recommended and that was all he wanted to hear. The shop lost the law suit and exists no more.
Can't help you with the tire changer info.

I'd like to understand what you said about your shop and mounting a CT. Why will they not mount another? What does the story of the inner tube have to do with mounting a CT?

My shop insisted on having new tubes, rated for the tires I wanted installed, the last time I changed tires. They said it was a safety thing and they didn't want to risk using the old tubes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM Recommendation

The motorcycle manufacturer recommends motorcycle tires on motorcycles. For them to mount a ct would be against OEM recommendations. They recommend a new tube with every mounting of a new tire. That shop did not install a new tube and so were judged responsible for his injuries.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The motorcycle manufacturer recommends motorcycle tires on motorcycles. For them to mount a ct would be against OEM recommendations. They recommend a new tube with every mounting of a new tire. That shop did not install a new tube and so were judged responsible for his injuries.
To take that to the logical conclusion, they would not sell or install anything on a bike that isn't OEM or MC tires that weren't exactly the same size as recommended. To do otherwise, using their logic, would make them liable. So, they couldn't, for example, install a wider/taller rear MC tire, which is a very common practice.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. But, that's normal for courts and lawsuits these days. Thanks for the clarification. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts