Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change the rear tire and am planning to take it to Kawishop so it's balanced correctly, etc. I was planning to take the wheel off at home, since the shop charges huge amts if they have to remove it.

What all does this entail? I read the service manual that I would have to remove mufflers, rear fender, etc. Is that necessary to do the job. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but was hoping that removing the rear tire was not too complicated.

Also worried a little about putting it back. Is it hard to get the belt tension correct? Lined up? etc.?

Maybe I should take it in to the shop but I don't want to pay for a bunch of extra stuff that I can do myself.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

nate

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
You really need a motorcycle jack or some other way to lift the bike off the tires high enough to get the wheel out from under the rear fender. There is no magic to removing the rear tire, it's just nuts and bolts.
If your muffler blocks the rear axle then Yes, you will have to remove the muffler, but only the one that prevents getting the axle out. You will have to unbolt the rear brake caliper and push it back out of the way. Remove the rear axle and start cussing cause you gotta wiggle the stuffing out of it to get the wheel out of the rear fender.
Installation is simply the reverse.
My shop did not have the ability to balance my rear wheel cause the spindle on their balancer wasn't long enough. I had Dyna Beads put into the wheel and it balances perfectly.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not really hard as it is time consuming. It's not totally necessary to remove the mufflers either if you have a BIG end wrench that will fit the axle nut. The only drawback to NOT removing the mufflers is that you can't get a torque wrench on the nut on re-install. My local kawi shop does the entire job for 50 bucks. Guess what what I do??:p

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
It's not really hard as it is time consuming. It's not totally necessary to remove the mufflers either if you have a BIG end wrench that will fit the axle nut. The only drawback to NOT removing the mufflers is that you can't get a torque wrench on the nut on re-install. My local kawi shop does the entire job for 50 bucks. Guess what what I do??:p
You are a lucky man. Mine charges 1.2 hours labor Plus the tire, naturally. Comes out over $300.00 if I buy the tire from them.

Dark Side is sounding better all the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Old Bike Guy,
You are one lucky man to have a good dealership close by! I consider my local dealership good, but they are out there when it comes to tire labor. I found that Motorcylce Superstore has a list of approved tire shops and they will ship your tire directly to the shop of your choice. I was lucky enough to find one about thirty miles away that charges half what the big shops charge, has done an outstanding job of mounting and balancing two tires for me, and, as a bonus, I get a nice, peaceful ride to and from the shop!:cool: I chose to switch to Metzlers on my 900 custom and am very satisfied!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The dealership is a Suzuki/Kawasaki/somthing or other shop. They are a father and son and I think grandma runs the front counter. $50 for a rear and $40 for a front. I can take a front off and re-install easy enough, but I can't balance them so I let them do it all. I give them all the business I can, to make sure they stick around.

Yes, I'm fortunate. :D

PS: I have 8k on my OEM replacement Bridgestone and around 5k on the rear......they both are looking good!! No un-even wear or cupping. THAT comes with watching the air pressure like a hawk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do not loosen your wheel adjusters,just undo the axle nut and tap it out,very easy to do and no belt adjustment necessary.Also try Dynabeads for balance a much smoother ride.
cheers

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Do not loosen your wheel adjusters,just undo the axle nut and tap it out,very easy to do and no belt adjustment necessary.Also try Dynabeads for balance a much smoother ride.
cheers

Thanks for adding that note, I forgot to mention it. Dyna beads are the shiznit. Got them in my rear tire.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just had both tyres replaced and was happy to have the shop do it because they had to remove the top muffler and had a hell of a time getting the axle out. All fitted and balanced and the Avon Cobra's I got fitted hang on like baby S**t to a blanket. The whole exercise was not cheap at $ 700.00 AUS. There was no labour charge as such just a flat price to supply and fit the tyres.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took wheel and new tire to kawishop today. $25 to mount and balance. Figured that was pretty good. I did not loosen the wheel adjustments. Am I going to have to pound the axle to get it back in. To get it out, I just lifted up on tire and pulled forcefully to get the axle out. Bearings seemed to turn freely and smoothly, I obviously didn't take them out and inspect but they turned easily putting my finger inside. Did not take the mufflers off, but I did unbolt where they bolt onto the bike which gave me a little more space to work. Can I use the torque wrench on the bolt rather than the nut and hold the nut with the end wrench or will that be totally inaccurate?

Thanks,

nate

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you're having to pound on the axle to get it in, something isn't aligned right. Lifting up on the tire and wiggling it back and forth a bit as you push in on the axle is really all it should take.

$25 for mounting and balancing isn't bad at all. It's nice to know how to do it yourself, but for that price it's easy enough to justify paying somebody else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Put a little grease on the axle and it should be ok.I have had my wheel off twice without touching the adjusters and I think that it is actually easier.No belt problems like some people here seem to experience.
cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts