Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of my first front tire change on my 09 Nomad 1700 and I did not mark the wheel orientation when I removed the tire from the wheel. From the service manual I know that the spacers on each side of the wheel are the same, so does it matter which way I put the wheel back on? Obviously, I need to know that before I mount the new front tire to the wheel.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are you referring to which way to install the wheel so that the direction of turn is the same?

If you know which spacers go on the left/right side of the forks, and if those spacers (installed that way) fit either side of the wheel, then no, it doesn't matter which direction of rotation the wheel is in.

If the spacers uniquely fit one side or the other of the wheel, then that would tell you which way to install the wheel.

Sounds to me like it doesn't matter on yours.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
On mine the speedometer/odometer is driven by the front wheel so my wheel will only fit one way if it is to operate the speedometer at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that is correct. The spacers and the calipers are identical so I'm guessing it doesn't matter. On previous model 1600 Nomads I was told that the spacers were different so it did matter how the wheel was mounted. Apparently, on the 1700 Nomad they changed it so I'm looking for a confirmation. And I don't believe there is a speedo connector.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
Per the Nomad shop manual, the two front spacers are identical. They're mounted with the flange side out. There isn't a speedo connector. You'll need to mount the ABS sensor bracket on the left side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per the Nomad shop manual, the two front spacers are identical. They're mounted with the flange side out. There isn't a speedo connector. You'll need to mount the ABS sensor bracket on the left side.
My bike doesn't have ABS so I'm assuming that I can mount the tire anyway I want on the wheel and then the wheel can be reinstalled in the proper tire rotation. Thanks for the help. I think that answers it.

Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
My bike doesn't have ABS so I'm assuming that I can mount the tire anyway I want on the wheel and then the wheel can be reinstalled in the proper tire rotation. Thanks for the help. I think that answers it.

Mike
That's correct. The ABS doesn't make any difference to the spacers. Just mount either one on either side. Be sure to add a little hi-temp grease to the grease seal lips of the wheel bearings before inserting the spacers.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I am in the middle of my first front tire change on my 09 Nomad 1700 and I did not mark the wheel orientation when I removed the tire from the wheel. From the service manual I know that the spacers on each side of the wheel are the same, so does it matter which way I put the wheel back on? Obviously, I need to know that before I mount the new front tire to the wheel.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

The Tire orientation arrow on the new rubber should face forward when rolling the wheel forward. as viewed from the left hand of the bike. Of course the direction of the wheel matters, unless you don’t like front brakes.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Tire orientation arrow on the new rubber should face forward when rolling the wheel forward. as viewed from the left hand of the bike. Of course the direction of the wheel matters, unless you don’t like front brakes.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
Twin front brake calipers, non-ABS, no speedo cable and identical spacers left and right so again it appears how the tire is mounted to the wheel is not relevant? I understand that the tire does have a certain rotation. Doesn't anyone have an 09 Non-ABS Nomad that has changed the front tire by themselves and asked this same question.

Thank you for the reply.

Mike

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Mike hope your well :)
The tyre you have fitted is it a rear tyre or 1 specific for the front ???

IF it's a rear tyre you MUST fit the wheel SO the rotation arrow is facing the WRONG way :)

Hope this helps Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't own a nomad but wow i'm so surprised at how meany people don't understand the question. I'm following this thread just for the laughs.
Oh for those who are wondering what i'm talking about the OP is talking about the "rim" not the actual tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't own a nomad but wow i'm so surprised at how meany people don't understand the question. I'm following this thread just for the laughs.
Oh for those who are wondering what i'm talking about the OP is talking about the "rim" not the actual tire.
Yes, correct. I'm getting responses on different models with speedo cables, single disc, etc. I should have been more exact in my question and not mention the tire. I don't see a directional indication on the WHEEL/RIM and just wanted to know if there was a difference on how the wheel is reinstalled. Knowing this information is necessary BEFORE I mount the front tire which is a standard front tire and has an indication on the rotation direction.

I don't think it matters, but I may mount the wheel before mounting the tire to be sure. I definitely don't want the tire installed backwards.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK Mikevn900c. I was able to find a K-Nomad shop manual specific to the 2009 model. In the "Front Wheel Installation" section it makes no reference about the front wheel needing to be mounted in a specific direction, and it states that the spacers are identical on either side, like my 2014. Also, doing a quick parts lookup shows the parts identical on both sides of the wheel hub and, again, no mention of the wheel needing to be mounted in a specific direction. So, I feel it's safe to install the front wheel in either direction. However, the tire must be mounted in the proper direction. Of course, if there's any doubt just mount the new tire in the same direction as the old. If you'll send me a pm with your email address, I'll send you a link to the information that should help you on this and other projects.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Mikevn900c. I was able to find a K-Nomad shop manual specific to the 2009 model. In the "Front Wheel Installation" section it makes no reference about the front wheel needing to be mounted in a specific direction, and it states that the spacers are identical on either side, like my 2014. Also, doing a quick parts lookup shows the parts identical on both sides of the wheel hub and, again, no mention of the wheel needing to be mounted in a specific direction. So, I feel it's safe to install the front wheel in either direction. However, the tire must be mounted in the proper direction. Of course, if there's any doubt just mount the new tire in the same direction as the old. If you'll send me a pm with your email address, I'll send you a link to the information that should help you on this and other projects.
Thank you CG. I have the service manual and found that same info, but wanted to be sure. I should have marked the wheel when I took the tire off, but forgot to. So that is the reason for the question.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Mike

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just so people know, if you look at the front rim in the center of the hub on one side you will see an arrow stamped into the metal pointing in the rotation direction. I didn't notice this either until my tire shop pointed it out

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone is still having issues with this but here is a picture if the front rim with the rotational arrow clearly visible at the bottom inside the hub

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Hi @mike07-16 we know wot the OP is talking about :) But duz the OP know that IF you run a rear tyre in the front he must run it backwards so to speak :) ??????

Steve
Why do you need to run it backwards???????

·
Registered
659 Posts
Why do you need to run it backwards???????
A rear tire is designed to drive the bike forwards, and a front tire is designed to brake it.

So the tread pattern of each tire is normally opposite, to push water out under either acceleration (when the weight is applied to the rear tire), or under braking (when the weight is applied to the front). It's fairly important that those weighted tires have good grip.

The tread joint is also uni-directional, and delamination of the tire can result if force is applied from the wrong direction. Here's a post from another forum that explains that aspect a little better: Run Rear Tire on Front

1 - 20 of 24 Posts