Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have my Avon Venom's in 200/70 15 for the rear and 90/90 21 for the front. First question is what air pressure should I use in the tires? Second question would you use ride on protection and regular balancing or just ride on protection?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I usually try to keep my 80/90 front @40psi, rear 180/70 @28-31psi

I would think about the same for the 90 and 200 but check the sidewall for max psi specs to make sure you don't exceed

could always start out a little lower and see if it feels "squishy" handling and then increase psi

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 230 avon on the rear and 90/90 avon front . I have about 38 to 40 psi in front and I use ride-on both tire . And no need to balance the tire juste follow the chart to add the correct quantity

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Tire pressure's typically a "can of worms" topic, so your responses on this are going to get varied quickly as the other forum members wake up, get their coffee, and wander to their computers. :D

There shouldn't be any need to exceed Kawasaki's recommended pressure even with the larger rear tire. Increasing it will provide a stiffer ride and some will argue that it will improve tire longevity. I can't speak to that...found out just a month ago I've been running the rear tire in my Cross Roads 2-3 PSI low (I obviously misread something) for the last 10k miles, and I probably still have another 2k in the tire which is on par with Dunlop E3 wear on that bike. Overinflating won't cause any serious issues if you don't exceed max pressure, but your ride will be harsher and if you run a lot of slab or straight highways, you flat spot on the tire's crown might be more pronounced, if not as wide. Anyway, like I said, "can of worms" topic.

As a tire professional, my brain demands I continue subscribing to the idea that nothing can replace a traditional spin balance, dynamic if at all possible. But a lot of guys are really raving about products like Ride-On and DynaBeads. I've had no experience with Ride-On, and limited interaction with balance beads. That limited interaction involved me removing the balance beads from a few customers' tires because they didn't get the job done, I guess. These were mid-sized tires ranging from what you'd see on a larger car to a smaller pickup. Why they didn't work, I can't say because near as I can tell they're witchcraft anyway. But 'round here you'll get a lot of good feedback on those products, so I wouldn't warn you away from them.

I know that rambling mess probably doesn't help at all...sorry :D

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't know about the tire pressures for the 900, but on every other bike I have owned I have ran close to the max pressure indicated on the sidewall. But I don't like the "Squishy" feeling that some people say "Rides Better". It is all relative to who you are talking too.

As for the balancing of tires. I have changed most of my own tires at home, lined up the dots and rode on. Maybe its just good luck or I am just not that picky. Never bothered me though.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I ride some rough roads in my state. The climate we have wreaks havoc on them plus I guess we are too broke to get most of them fixed right.

That said, the 900 is sensitive to bumps it seems regardless of air pressure. The guy that put on my last set of tires did a great job with balancing. On the nice and smooth slab, it purrs. On the nasty streets, I don't grit my teeth. :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am talking about the LT don't mean to confuse or be argumentative......I knew 40 psi would be too much for my bike..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts