Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 1500 A-11 with the mag wheels (no spokes). I had my rear tire replaced recently and the shop pointed out that my tubeless tire had a tube. They asked if I wanted to keep the tube or not. I asked their opinion and we decided to keep the tube. 2 months later I am on the side of the road, miles from home or virtually anywhere, with a flat back tire. I assuming the tube failed. So, was my downfall not replacing the tube at the same time I replaced the tire? Should the tire on this bike have a tube at all? Should I have them replace the tube or simply mount the tubeless tire on the solid rim and call it a day?

I bought the bike new, have put 22k on it and NEVER had a flat tire thru a few sets of tires. What a PITA being stuck on the side of the road on Sunday of a 3 day weekend.

Thank you in advance for your input, opinions, and experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello there , sorry to hear about your mishap , you should never install a tube in a tubeless tire as this generates excesive heat and nullifies the main advantage of a tubeless tire , how easy is to fix it while on the road . I can only guess that the rear wheel maybe has a leak through a small crack or pore and it loses air overtime so they installed a tube to remedy the problem . I think you should mount the tire without a tube install a new air valve and check what happens .

·
Registered
724 Posts
Why do you think the tube failed??
If it did the air would then get out to the wheel which should be sealed and - no leak.
I dont think it was the tubes fault.
As stated above the wheel may have a slow leak and a tube was the easiest, cheapest fix.
Or who ever changed it didnt know NOT to install a tube and just added it for no reason.
I also can see the increased heat with a tube.
Either way you need to not install a tube with the new tire and see if the wheel holds air!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts