Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am looking at buying a v2k for my next bike. I just have a few questions about them for those that have one.

1. How well do they hold up to distance? Obviously it will depend on the owner but just generally. Most have between 40k and 60k km on the clock.

2. What are common things that I should be checking?

3. Will it be really difficult to handle and get used to for someone upgrading from a 400 virago?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi all.

I am looking at buying a v2k for my next bike. I just have a few questions about them for those that have one.

1. How well do they hold up to distance? Obviously it will depend on the owner but just generally. Most have between 40k and 60k km on the clock.

2. What are common things that I should be checking?

3. Will it be really difficult to handle and get used to for someone upgrading from a 400 virago?
1. Great. 33K miles on mine. No issues except regular tire consumption.
2. Nothing out of the ordinary for buying a used bike.
3. different, but not difficult. Mostly in the parking lots and slow maneuvers.
You'll love it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Agree on all three with dadinator-just spend some time on the parking lot to get used to the handling at low speed- once you are comfortable twist your wrist and be ready to smile

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
250 Posts
With the V2K, any improvements through the years?

Also, there's about five V2Ks in my local area for sale. They range from 2004 to 2006 models. One has 25k miles the rest are between 8-16k. Any costly preventive maintenance genenrally required for a 25K mile V2K compared to a 8k mile model? Obviously there's the common stuff like bearings, brake pads, fork seals and so on. Considering the 25K bike is in very good mechanical condition, anything major that the V2Ks commonly need addressed when they hit say the 30K mile mark?

·
Registered
545 Posts
had mine since 2004 had gear position sensor replaced at 15000 mi , I use common sence when doing maintanence not factory spec.

great highway bike but heavy and unconfortable at low speeds

·
Registered
987 Posts
V2K praise

I do all of my own work on my 04. No serious stuff required. I change front wheel bearings probably more often than necessary and I put the double bearing kit in the drive hub. Only "major" item was the drive belt, and that is more due to the crap roads here than a Kawi issue.:D

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
You will love the ride and the power. The weight is a lot but not overbearing its a big girl and you have to remember that. Like others said practice your slow speed turning and stopping you will be fine. If it doesn't have a crash bar add one, when you do drop it its a lot easier to get it back up and no damage.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You will love the ride and the power. The weight is a lot but not overbearing its a big girl and you have to remember that. Like others said practice your slow speed turning and stopping you will be fine. If it doesn't have a crash bar add one, when you do drop it its a lot easier to get it back up and no damage.
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 04's and 05's had a single bearing on the rear axle, the newer ones had 2 bearings. The single is prone to failing quicker than the newer hubs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tips on buying a V2k

This post is a bit late, but if you're still interested, yes the slow speed maneuvering on the beast is tricky but you can do it. Check out the Ride Like a Pro DVD. Some good tips on slow speed maneuvers for big bikes, from a former motorcycle cop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts