Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 part Wintergreen Oil
3 parts Alcohol (Isopropyl - it is basically rubbing alcohol, ethanol can be used too, it doesn't matter as long as it says 90%+, because water is causing parts to swell so avoid 70% alcohol)
Parts need to be soaked for a few days, depending of the condition of the rubber (for rock hard rubber - weeks)
Heating the mix with rubber parts inside speeds up the process.
Rubber will swell a little, don't panic, it will return to its original state when removing it from the mix and letting it to dry for a day or few.

I made a mix and soaked my airbox rubber boots in 2 jars, tightly sealed, leaving them near fireplace so it was constantly warm. Boots were kinda hard and ''compressed'' (always sliding off the carbs and pulling themselves into airbox a little, causing problems with engine not running smoothly). After 2 days, parts were removed from the mix and left in room temperature for 1 day to let alcohol evaporate from rubber and return to their original state. Boots ''decompressed'' and shrunk and became very soft and pliable, like brand new.

Overall this method of restoring old hard rubber is really working and it doesn't cause rubber to deteriorate (some people left parts in the mix for more than 6 months without deterioration), and it was cheap. I paid $15 for both wintegreen oil and alcohol instead of paying almost $40 for a new set of boots. This mix can even restore rubber parts that basically became plastic, it just need to be soaked for few weeks, tops 1 month in warm place. Restored rubber will stay that way for years. And lastly, it does NOT work on O-rings, mix will cause O-rings to swell and not return to their original state.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Marko, how much of this mix did you make to be able to soak the boots fully? Wintergreen oil is sold by 1oz bottles, so getting enough to fill 25% of a jar big enough to soak the boots will definitely take many ounces of this oil. And that cost will well exceed $15 or $40. Or is Wintergreen oil sold by liters in your side of town?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Marko, how much of this mix did you make to be able to soak the boots fully? Wintergreen oil is sold by 1oz bottles, so getting enough to fill 25% of a jar big enough to soak the boots will definitely take many ounces of this oil. And that cost will well exceed $15 or $40. Or is Wintergreen oil sold by liters in your side of town?
Bought if off of eBay, 100ml bottle (that's about 3 - 3 1/2 oz bottle for $12, I'll send you a link for a product if you want it. And I found 99% Isopropyl Alcohol in electronics shop for about $3 (300ml). Find jars that are just a little bit wider than boots since you won't be able to fully soak it with 3oz bottle of oil (maybe 1/3 of an inch will stick out of mix). Just turn the jar(s) each next day upside down so that whole boot(s) get treatment. I had total 400ml of mix, 200ml per jar/boot.

http://www.tendahorse.com/products/thp0028.asp Just remembered this. You can buy 1 pint (16oz) of oil for about 10-15 bucks if you live in US. I couldn't order it since it's located in US and I'm from EU

1 - 3 of 3 Posts