Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a tip...a cool little fuel filter mod for your Keihin CVK34 equipped 500's.

.an OEM Kawasaki part
.no cutting, hacking or re-routing of fuel line needed
.inexpensive
.simple, easy install (and service check)
.filters at the fuel entry point to carbs
.sanitary, invisible in fact
.quite effective

Ran into this 5 years ago, many, many EX500 (i'm a refugee from over there) users report zero issues or problems, inserts right into the fuel rail inlet nipple.

Discovered it doing ZZR600 carbs for a friend, its also used in late gen 250 Ninja, and Mikuni applications. I've used it in other Kawasaki and Yamaha 4 cylinder applications as well.

only $2.94 at ronayers.com Kawasaki part # 49019-1085

Shown fully installed in the rail in the full carbset pic...the white ring just visible in the black rail nipple

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1

I've been doing the same for a number of years on many bikes/brands.

I like using it on bikes with fairly clean tanks and good lines just as a last point of protection for the carbs. Otherwise if the tank is moderately dirty whether it be rust or varnish a larger inline filter with more surface area is the way to go.

This is just cheap, simple insurance on a clean system in my mind.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"This is just cheap, simple insurance on a clean system in my mind."

Exactly, its proven, and all the protection thats needed. If its good enough on a 250 or 600 ninja (spec'd by factory engineers) why should the 500 be an exception?

"Otherwise if the tank is moderately dirty whether it be rust or varnish..."

Precisely why the engineers have placed screens on the petcock, disallowing junk to flow downstream into the petcock valving

Now apply the same concept to the fuel entry point of the carbs, final catch, if you will, to prevent junk into the float valves, pilot system, etc.

A rusted tank is a separate issue..in that instance I'd be more concerned with safety... seam leaks and pinholes at the lowest points...where water congeals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts