Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my left hand starts tingling after around 30 minutes of riding. Interestingly, my throttle hand does not tingle.

I have some arthritis in both hands, but I would expect both hands to tingle if arthritis was the cause. My right hand feels no tingling sensation at all.

I have the stock bars and grips on my 2020 Vulcan 900 Classic LT.

Any idea why this is happening?

·
Banned
179 Posts
You, like 95% of all people, most likely have unhealthy life style. Lifestyle consists of 3 parts: nutrition, exercise and bad habits. In other words: you do something, you shouldn't do, and you don't do something you should.

·
Registered
VN900
35 Posts
Holding on too tight? Not moving it enough? Have you tried taking it off and resting it on the tank on occasion? I had this problem but with the throttle side...I installed cruise assist and now I just roll that on when I want to flex my hand a little bit. It would go to sleep on longer rides and it was miserable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think you should probably ask a doctor before you consult the forum, ;)
But I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes my thumb go numb from time to time. Aging is a bitch. If I had higher bars I wouldn’t be able to ride when it flares up.

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
120 Posts
Most likely you're holding the grip too tight. Try covering the clutch with your fingers to force you to relax your grip and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
There could be several causes, some benign, some not. As someone else said, better to talk to a doctor than a forum.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, I noticed when I switched to team green, there were alot of folks complaining about arms, shoulders going asleep....especially on the 1500/1600s.....
I myself was experiencing this after my 2nd ride to Sturgis.....I swapped out my buckhorn typa stock bars for a set of 10" tall bagger apes....pretty well cured it.
Its the position of your arms to the wrist position, you need a gentle, natural, angle to keep your circulation happy!
Alot of folks over at the vulcan baggers forum have discussed/dealt with this issue.....which is trial and error....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you DragonLady58! My left hand does not tingle in any other area of my life, only while riding the Vulcan. When I move my hand to the gas tank, it stops tingling. (It doesn't bother me while riding my dirt bike either!!) Good grief! Of course I can talk to my GP about it, but I presumed this was a handlebar/grip thing since it only happened while riding the Vulcan. I wasn't looking for medical advice. And thanks Whisky, I'll try covering the clutch next time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had this happen when I had my 1600 (both hands). I had risers on it. Doesn't happen on my 1700 no risers, hands are lower than my shoulders. Seems to be a more relaxed position to me.
DL correct as position of hands/wrist/shoulders, height and angles.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
For several years, I had a problem with my left hand tingling and going to sleep when I sat with my hand resting on a table such as when sitting in a meeting or lecture at a table. Some time after that, I started having trouble with my left shoulder. Turns out, I had bone spurs in my shoulder and eventually had to have it replaced. The tingling/sleeping went away after the replacement. I never had the tingling or my hand going to sleep while riding (though I had plenty of pain in my shoulder while riding towards the end).

Reactions: DragonLady58

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I've noticed that my left hand starts tingling after around 30 minutes of riding. Interestingly, my throttle hand does not tingle.
I have some arthritis in both hands, but I would expect both hands to tingle if arthritis was the cause. My right hand feels no tingling sensation at all.
Several possibilities, some covered and some not. Carpal tunnel, handlebar positioning/height, vibration, etc. I've got carpal tunnel and arthritis in both hands/wrists, so I can relate.
  1. On the physical/medical side, pay close attention to whether it's your whole hand that goes numb, or just the ring and little fingers, which comes from a pinched ulnar nerve in the elbow. I suffer from that as well, and there is a surgery procedure to fix it, which I'll do this winter. I had the Tenex procedure on both elbows last winter, which resolved some but not all my numbing situation, but did resolve my ability to extend and flex my elbows quickly rather than at those 'old man' speed with accompanying sound effects! Developing awareness of your positioning of body parts will aid in identifying the numbing source.
  2. Check the alignment of the controls; is your hand/wrist/forearm flat when in the riding position, or is the hand/wrist twisted at even a slight angle? If so, rotate the controls and position the brake lever so your hand lies flat across the grip and brake lever.
  3. Risers and/or a different style handlebar may be in order, depending on your 'natural' riding position. For the most comfort, ride with hands below your shoulders and at least a slight bend in your elbows.
  4. To dampen vibration, add bar-end weights or (when possible) fill the handlebars with buckshot or similar weighted substance.
Good luck, and let us know how you resolve it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts