Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my custom for 2 years now and loved it but lately ive been doing more country rides and would love to get a lower revving bigger bike,I've narrowed it down to a suzuki c109 and wondered if anyone has any first hand experience with this model?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I haven't ridden one but from what I've read the motor is a real beast. I did look at these a year ago but decided to stick with the 9 for a bit longer. The Suz I really lust after is a M109R but they aren't really what I need (I just want one to play with). Have you looked at the smaller cousin c90? It's really well priced last time I checked & might be a better combo of size v power. Only 5 speed which is a bummer but I think the C109 is only 5 speed as well. Some people say the Suzs look a bit plasticy & I tend to agree a bit but that's a personal opinion. All jap bikes are pretty well bullet proof & are well made so I don't think you can really go wrong.
The Suzuki boulevard/intruder forum should be a good place to get some ideas - although they'll be biased to some extent I suppose. I do frequent there on occasions and it's pretty much like this forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its funny you should say that as I have been in lust with the M109 for years now but was worried it was too heavy and powerful as I have only been riding for 4 years, but only a few days ago i pulled up at a cafe and came outside to admire all the different bikes that park outside and noticed a black M109 parked next to my red custom, after 10 mins I went over to start my bike up and the owner of the M109 comes up to me and says how much he loves the look of my bike and wishes he bought a bike that was a bit more old school as he is bored of his ...I swear it doesn't matter how much you love your bike you're always looking to update lol

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
In '07 when I was looking for a new bike I was riding a '77 GS750 and was very happy with it. So naturally I started out looking at Suzuki for a new bike. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the Suzuki styling that doesn't work for me. All of their cruisers just look wrong. I've never been able to figure out just what it is, but I spend about 30 minutes in their showroom and never looked back. I have a couple friends who ride them and love them. They seem like good bikes, but...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've ridden the M109 & that thing is a beast BUT the seating position is close to a sport bike. I felt I was on & over the bike instead of riding it. It sits you so high.
The rear wide tire was a pain & terror in the twisties too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've owned my custom for 2 years now and loved it but lately ive been doing more country rides and would love to get a lower revving bigger bike,I've narrowed it down to a suzuki c109 and wondered if anyone has any first hand experience with this model?
DO NOT GET A C109!, those and the m109 are have issues with the transmission, and the c109 is hard to find parts for. That being said, it and the m109 are beasts my buddy has the c-109, and riding it made me upgrade to vulcan 2000(because i couldnt find a c109). If you go that route m109 or new c90, anything c90 before 2012 is underpowered with a small tank, I loved mine in the city, hated it on the freeway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's official I'm not going to buy the suzuki after looking at the forums..surging and transmission problems and just bought the latest Australian cruiser magazine with a write up about the C109 and guess what happened on the first day of testing??? Clutch destroyed itself while doing A dragway takeoff and had to have parts flown in from japan, I've decided to put on a pirelli night dragon 200/70-15 rear tyre to reduce the revs and see if that keeps me happy for a while longer because the only other big bike I like is the yamaha roadliner and its just too much money for me right at the moment...still love the vulcan enough not to give up on her yet and keep telling myself if I get a bike with more power I'll probably kill myself

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Nomad a couple of years ago and am quite pleased. The Custom was a great bike for me solo but 2-up it wasn't good at all. Now with the Nomad I can hardly feel a difference when my wife is onboard and it cruises effortlessly with the 6th gear. Lots of 1700 owners spring for new pipes, electronics and air kits to squeeze out a few more ponies. I haven't found the 1700 lacking much at all. Take a look, you may be surprised. I actually found it just as easy to handle in the parking lot as the 900. And the cruise control is awesome.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Nomad a couple of years ago and am quite pleased. The Custom was a great bike for me solo but 2-up it wasn't good at all. Now with the Nomad I can hardly feel a difference when my wife is onboard and it cruises effortlessly with the 6th gear. Lots of 1700 owners spring for new pipes, electronics and air kits to squeeze out a few more ponies. I haven't found the 1700 lacking much at all. Take a look, you may be surprised. I actually found it just as easy to handle in the parking lot as the 900. And the cruise control is awesome.
MRSPOCK is right on the money here. I also went from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Nomad last year. Its everything I wanted but the 900 didn't have. I'm extremely happy with mine. You should give one a serious look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice but im more of a single riding guy(girlfriend is terrified of bikes) and the nomads sound perfect but is not the look im after, Im getting the new pirelli fitted hopefully tomorrow and will give my impression of it then, until then im going to stick it out with the 900 and keep saving the dollars for a couple of years...mean streaks look good too

·
Registered
698 Posts
DO NOT GET A C109!, those and the m109 are have issues with the transmission, and the c109 is hard to find parts for.QUOTE]

I've seen those reports as well but wonder if it's overblown a bit. People who get a problem tend to make a noise but you never hear from the majority who have no issues at all. That being said it is definitely something to bear in mind.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've ridden the M109 & that thing is a beast BUT the seating position is close to a sport bike. I felt I was on & over the bike instead of riding it.QUOTE]

+ this and it is the reason I won't be getting one. If I had the cash I'd have one just for street cruising and blowing off HD's at the lights. The pose value is pretty high - esp if you get one of the limited editions with custom paint job (drool).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for the advice but im more of a single riding guy(girlfriend is terrified of bikes) and the nomads sound perfect but is not the look im after, Im getting the new pirelli fitted hopefully tomorrow and will give my impression of it then, until then im going to stick it out with the 900 and keep saving the dollars for a couple of years...mean streaks look good too
If you decide later on that you still want to upsize but find that the 1700s are too big maybe consider the Honda VTX1300. They have a great reputation for reliability and they're nice looking bikes with plenty of aftermarket accessories available. In my area you can find nice used ones with low miles for around $6000 give or take. Good luck...

·
Registered
427 Posts
the nomads sound perfect but is not the look im after,
I had a '08 Vulcan 900 Custom until the Spring of 2012, and upgraded to a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS for more power, do away w/ the highway buzziness, etc. Loved the 900 while I had it, though...it was a great bike, so was/am a fan of the Vulcan line. Like you, though, the Nomads and other touring / fairing bikes just weren't for me...I wanted to keep the classic/simple cruiser look. I looked at a leftover new 2010 Vulcan 1700 Classic, took one for a test-drive, and came within a hair's breadth of getting one, but ultimately went w/ my gut and heart and got the TBird, and have had no regrets. Maybe if the Meanstreak had still been in production it would have been a tougher decision for me, I don't know. Anyway, the Thunderbird 1600 may be an option for you as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sort of related...

I have the older smaller brother of the C109, a 2002 VL1500. I'll have to say that it revs lower at cruising speeds even with only 5 speeds, it's got enough oomph to accelerate from cruising speeds if you need it. It's no racer by any means but it has the "muscle". It's heavier but still easy to maneuver in slow speeds because of the low center of gravity, the fuel tank is below the seat. It may be my riding ability but I found it easier to make u-turns on this beast than on my previous sv1000 without putting my feet down. It's comfortable stock. I recently went on a 450 mile ride with only stops for gas and my butt only started feeling sore the last 20 miles on the stock seat. The fuel range is low, though. I would go consistently 120 miles before getting gas. On the VL1500 forum, there's always talk about the stator and wiring issues but , knock on wood, I haven't had any of those issues on mine with 20K miles on it. Bulletproof, Hydraulic lifters so no valve adjustments, easy to reach components for oil change, air cooled so no coolant changes required (I know there are lots of benefits for liquid cooled as well :), ...

My only reason for trying to sell it is I feel it's too big for me. I'm 5'8" and I feel like I'm stretching every which way. It kinda feels stupid scooching forward just to reach the highway pegs! ...My 2 cents.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
...until then im going to stick it out with the 900 and keep saving the dollars for a couple of years...mean streaks look good too

I was on this Custom for a couple years...

Even after treating it to a windshield and a small set of saddlebags it was not enough bike. It was great commuting to work and good for the short day-trips but hell on the long rides. And my girlfriends butt wasn't a fan either.

And the six speed transmission...? AWESOME!

She digs the 1700 cc Vulcan "light Tourer" I bought in June....

So do I. Almost twice the weight but having put 4000 miles on it over the summer i can assure you it's perfect. Great look, plenty of range, not too overdone, good factory seating and comfortable for the 300 mile days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your Truimph is another option just need to save more money,currently about to build a new house so money flowing out of my ass lol , anyway had the pirelli 200 tyre put on today which looks fantastic and reduces the revs a small amount, I will try to put some pics up tomorrow

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had a '08 Vulcan 900 Custom until the Spring of 2012, and upgraded to a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS for more power, do away w/ the highway buzziness, etc. Loved the 900 while I had it, though...it was a great bike, so was/am a fan of the Vulcan line. Like you, though, the Nomads and other touring / fairing bikes just weren't for me...I wanted to keep the classic/simple cruiser look. I looked at a leftover new 2010 Vulcan 1700 Classic, took one for a test-drive, and came within a hair's breadth of getting one, but ultimately went w/ my gut and heart and got the TBird, and have had no regrets. Maybe if the Meanstreak had still been in production it would have been a tougher decision for me, I don't know. Anyway, the Thunderbird 1600 may be an option for you as well.
QUOTE]
They are a great bike - both looks and performance..... but I like V-twins even though the straight twin is a better design.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts