Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I am riding the piss out of this 900 and loving every minute of it. great bike so far. Two months ago got my 2014 900 custom. 600 miles had the first oil change/checkup done at dealer just to make sure everything was checked and looked at. Well not everything was checked. I informed them after they said the bike was done that I put some paint chalk on a few of the bolts to see if they were actually "checked". Ha, were they surprised. I got half off my bill, which I thought was fair btw. I'm up to just shy of 2000 miles and have my amsoil in hand. I do have one question before I dump the dirty dino. This is my first oil change on this bike done by me and I have seen videos of a bolt with oil screen behind kick stand. I cant find anything like that on mine. Did they do away with this oil screen? mines a 2014. I looked up the wiki on model and seen no changes to engine except displacement a few years back. I also checked the Manual, nothin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure about the oil screen for your model year but I will recommend replacing the filter with a K&N wrench on/off filter .. my god what a difference in how easy it makes taking the filter on and off. Costs a little extra, but for not having to deal with the hassle I would say it's worth it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the oil screen for your model year but I will recommend replacing the filter with a K&N wrench on/off filter .. my god what a difference in how easy it makes taking the filter on and off. Costs a little extra, but for not having to deal with the hassle I would say it's worth it
I Will for sure get this next oil change. I seen it and liked the idea of getting the filter off easy if it decided to be stubborn. I will not pay $17.00 for another amsoil filter. This is what happens when you tell your buddy to order for you while your at work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
;) Plus 1 0000

·
Registered
536 Posts
I buy my KN 303 filters off Ebay from assorted vendors. They are usually selling for $8 to $10 shipped to my doorstep. That reminds me....I need to order a couple.

·
Registered
729 Posts
1+1+ on the K&N filter
The screen is a pain to find. Look forward of where the kick stand mounts to the frame, should be an 17mm +/- bolt head. I have only found a few particulates in the first couple of times that I checked the screen. Now I only check about every 3rd change 7500-8500 miles. Do not forget there is an O-ring for the screen, it would not hurt to get a fresh one or three along with a few crush washers for the drain bolt.

Glad you got something back from the dealer(stealer). Makes you wonder what did they do for their money?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1+1+ on the K&N filter
The screen is a pain to find. Look forward of where the kick stand mounts to the frame, should be an 17mm +/- bolt head. I have only found a few particulates in the first couple of times that I checked the screen. Now I only check about every 3rd change 7500-8500 miles. Do not forget there is an O-ring for the screen, it would not hurt to get a fresh one or three along with a few crush washers for the drain bolt.

Glad you got something back from the dealer(stealer). Makes you wonder what did they do for their money?
So there is one of these oil screens on the newer Vulcans? I have 20/20 and swear I couldn't find where. I looked all around both sides of the kickstand. There isn't one mention of it in my owners manual.

·
Registered
729 Posts
There may not be one on your 2014, but if there is it is a pain to locate. It still take me a minute to find mine.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Go to the Kawi website ( on your pc, not your phone) and find the parts diagrams for your year. That will show you exactly where it is. You should find that it hasn't changed since 2006.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to the Kawi website ( on your pc, not your phone) and find the parts diagrams for your year. That will show you exactly where it is. You should find that it hasn't changed since 2006.
Yup, your right. Its right there on the diagram. Looks like its going to be a PITA to get to. I have giant hands :thinking: Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure before I started un loosening random bolts. Time to get my hands dirty then.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
U are going to un loosen random bolts? Wouldn't that be tightening them? Lol just giving u a hard time!
LOL I was thinking it, and then you said it! Reminds me of how people here talk...they take things out of the freezer to "unthaw" them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
U are going to un loosen random bolts? Wouldn't that be tightening them? Lol just giving u a hard time!
Made sense after a 6 pack. I have diarrhea of the fingers after a sixer. Anywho, got the oil changed and sure enough found that oil screen filter. Had just a couple of shavings on it. Probably 8-10 small shavings.This was the first time it has been checked since new. 2000 miles on it now and pumpin sweet synthetic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Pea Shooter Tip?
On pipes, it is where the exit dia. is much smaller than the body of the pipe or muffler. Generally extends back 10-20% of the length of the pipe or muffler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts