Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know factory sizes are 80/90/21 on the front and 180/70/15 on the rear. This go around I want to go big on the rear. As I've read everywhere, about the biggest I can go on the stock rim is a 230/60/15. Now for those of you that have this larger tire on the rear I'm jus curious as to what to expect with the difference with the bigger tire. Pros and cons please!

Also, after the bigger tire, I'd like to drop the rear like 2 inches to get rid of the gap from my tire to fender. Do I need to get a lowering kit to do so? Or is there enough play in the rear shock to lower it down?
Comments, suggestions, and thoughts please guys! Thanks!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would say your best bet is to use the search button as there are plenty of threads and opinions of the 230 tire on here.

To achieve the 2" drop you would like you will need a lowering link. I dont think you will get 2 inches of drop by playing with the shock adjustments, but I havent tried so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bigger tire = less final speed (about 15 - 20 mph). Big tire + lowering kit= less final speed, tire scratching on rear fender with road bumps.

Less talk, More ride

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigger tire = less final speed (about 15 - 20 mph). Big tire + lowering kit= less final speed, tire scratching on rear fender with road bumps.

Less talk, More ride

You sure about this? Because I know my tires on my car are 2 or 3 sizes bigger then stock and it throws my mph off like 5mpg faster.... And a lowering kit, I don't want to slam it to the grown, just eliminate fender-wheel gap

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
370 Posts
Again I will say....use the search button. The bigger tire will make the speedometer read slower which is a good thing since the 900 speedometer reads high anyways.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey 09-SPED, as you are experiencing - the guys & gals with the 230 rear tire with a lowering kit (1" or 2" selectable) have really talked this topic to death many times in the past (probably includes me too!). :)

Nonetheless, I'll give you my Coles Notes version:

I did this mod with around 1,200 km on the clock.

Installing the the 230 rear tire + 2" lowering (what I am running) requires some minor cutting of the belt guard and rear fender inner splash guard - all really easy.

Impressions? For me, it was 50% optical - I like the fat rear tire look on the Custom (personal opinion, some like, some not). I think the rear fender to tire gap on the custom is too large on a stock bike - again personal. That was the #1 reason I lowered the bike - that "too large" rear fender gap.

Driving impressions - on my first ride with the 230 + lowering, I felt the bike want to go straight rather than lean on my first few aggressive corners - then, on my subsequent rides, this "impression" dissipated (for me). It may have been my reaction to the bike's new cornering characteristics rather than a big difference with the tire. Now, with 5,000km on the 230, I am never surprised by the cornering. Yes, the bike "feels" different than stock, but I never notice it anymore - if a person were to do a side-by-side comparison with a stock bike, the difference would likely be more apparent.

BTW, I also have the Barons rear pulley on the bike. For me, my indicated speed on the speedo is a tad lower than actual road speed now. I am exceptionally satisfied with the 230 + rear pulley combo. The gears are "stretched" out now (if that makes sense - I mean the shift points seem further apart now compared to the stock tire + stock pulley). Cruising is very relaxed now - but I rarely travel over 130 kph. In my area, 120 kph on the highway causes me to be passing most traffic - and the bike is happy at that speed. I've seen 160 kph a couple of times, with no real complaints on the buzzy-ness of the bike/engine/frame.

I run the shock on the 2nd to stiffest setting (IIRC, position 6). I have bottomed out riding solo once or twice while accidentally/inadvertently hitting a significant bump/pothole - which was not fun. Mostly, I have enough suspension travel for 99% of riding.

On aggressive turns, I can easily scrape the pegs - was a surprise the first time - but now I anticipate it and adjust my riding/speed/lean to compensate. Again, I am not a RZ rider, so this causes me no grief.

I would never go back to the stock tire or the stock ride height. I "might" consider a 200 tire if I couldn't source the 230 in the future - but would keep the 2" lowering link for sure. I would not use a larger front pulley (I had no interest in pulling the stock pulley off the tranny shaft - leave well enough alone in that department - this is a personal thing - I do not like disturbing "factory-installed" spinning objects on splined shafts) and the front pulley actually moves the rear tire further forward and would compound the clearance issues with a larger rear tire. I figured the rear pulley was mechanically simpler to install and moves the rear tire backwards, which I liked for clearance for the 230 in any event. I did not care about the modest price difference between the front pulley vs. the rear - was not a factor for me, your wallet may differ.

I also have the 90/90-21 front tire still in my garage waiting to install - I'll get around to it after the summer riding season.

That's my 30-seconds on the 230 rear + 2" lowering. I would not go back to stock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When i had the stock tires the top speed was 180 km/h (both, dunlops and exedra max), with 200/70 r15 pirelli night dragon the max speed was 160 km/h hardly reached

Less talk, More ride

1 - 9 of 9 Posts