Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned 11k on my 08 LT going to put new tires on this week, after reading a few tire review sites I am thinking about going with Pirelli mt66, anyone on this site have any experience with these, or maybe a better suggestion ? Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
ive got pirelli my night dragon on my 07 custom and i have nothing bad to say about them.......in fact i love em vast improvement over the stock dunlops.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just put a set of the Pirelli's on. I like them, but I have a medium, speed oscillation (30-38 mph). I am wondering...out of balance just a little. I think I might have lost a weight... Any ideas?

·
Registered
306 Posts
sounds like a balence issue .....slower speed you wont notice it and at higher speed cintrifical force may cancell it out....it try a rebalence

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the MT66's on mine and love them. 4500 miles and they look almost brand new.....and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Had MT66s installed on my 900 LT a week ago. Just got back from a trip down Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway to Gatlinburg. Love these tires..

They track very well, and handling is superb.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jimbo
how much did you pay for the set of tires?
thanks
PG

Can't remember exactly, but it was somewhere around $250 total including mounting/balancing. Bought them at a local indy shop. That was for the tires.....also installed new tubes at the same time, so total was closer to $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't remember exactly, but it was somewhere around $250 total including mounting/balancing. Bought them at a local indy shop. That was for the tires.....also installed new tubes at the same time, so total was closer to $300.
thanks for the info, I will see what the tire price in Canada is

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just turned 11k on my 08 LT going to put new tires on this week, after reading a few tire review sites I am thinking about going with Pirelli mt66, anyone on this site have any experience with these, or maybe a better suggestion ? Thanks

How did you get 11 miles out of your Dunlops? and...

Well I just put new tires on T'Pol. The rear was installed last weekend @ 5835 miles. I tried to go to 6000 miles but we hit a rainy patch and I was noticing even on dry pavement I was losing traction. I had already installed a Pirelli MT66 Route (or Route 66) on the front of my wife's Savage and was impressed with how the handling increased.

After the Cleveland Bike show I was going to go with Avons but I had a hard time finding what I wanted locally or even online. I did some price shopping locally and got the Pirellis for $87 front and $121 rear.

Now tread wise I didn't need a front tire but the OE Dunlops were showing signs of cracking on the sidewalls. That and in general I didn't like how the Dunlops handled especially on grooved or uneven road surfaces.

I remember the 1st time I came into some road construction on RT322 in Meadville. They have the surface all grooved up for repaving for about 3 miles. I thought I was on ice, seriously!

Anyway, last weekend I had 5835 miles and got the new rear, they were out of the front tire. Then I dropped it off this past Thursday and picked it up Friday with my new front. Now I haven't had 3 miles of grooves to deal with since the new tires but I have ridden on enough grooved pavement to know the difference thus far.

I hit a grooved bridge about 100 ft long at 55mph and it was straight as an arrow. That and in general how the bike feels now makes me wonder why I just didn't dump those tires long ago.

They have my vote!

·
Registered
441 Posts

1st I would like to know how you got the Dunlops to go 11,000 miles

Also I am sure by now you have put new skins on your LT but I can tell you that I love my MT66 Routes. Have them front and rear and they track true in the wet, grooved surfaces as well as dry straight road. This was the absolute best improvement I ever did to this bike. Had I known there was this much difference I would have mad the dealer install them before I took delivery 6500 miles ago.

Thanks Jimbo for giving me an idea how long I can expect to have them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Guess I didn't realize I already responded to this thread LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Put Mt66 on front and rear at 8000 miles. I went with ''em because they have a good reputation for wet weather traction here in the Northwest.

I've now put 3700 miles on the Pirellis, and they look and feel good--smoth as silk on a good road. I love em. Serious improvement over the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Put Mt66 on front and rear at 8000 miles. I went with ''em because they have a good reputation for wet weather traction here in the Northwest.

I've now put 3700 miles on the Pirellis, and they look and feel good--smooth as silk on a good road. I love em. Serious improvement over the stock Dunlops.
They are awesome in the wet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts