Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 VN1700 Classic with 6707 miles and center of tire is close to no depth in tread any longer.
Came with the 170 65 16 size rear tire. My friend's 2010 Voyager has the 180 width on his rear so I know a 180 will fit no problem, but was wondering how about a 200? Too much for stock rim?
If it would fit (the 200 width tire) is there a difference in comfort vs running with the stock 170 or 180? could of sworn I found a thread awhile back that had a post where someone put a 205 width on their stock wheel for their VN1700.

And brands. Which do you prefer, and max mileage you gotten out of them? My stock tire is a Avon brand and remember reading about how some Vulcan owners did not really care for the shorter life span the Avon gave them.

My brother has a 04 VN1600 and he gets about 10,000 miles before changing his rear tire. I have a rock gravel driveway which has incline to ride up out to private rock gravel road and I know tires will wear down slightly faster riding on gravel vs pavement. Though I go real slow as to not try to have rear tire spin on the gravel, but it is what it is with having a gravel driveway and private gravel road.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, At the start for spring this year my friend who I ride with (has a 2011 VN1700 Classic) changed his tire to Commander II 180 / 65 / 16, we have gone 10K miles so far and his tire still looks new. He said the handling is better in both wet and dry. I also put a new tire on my bike at the same time (stock stone) which is about done but I am so impressed (with his Commander II) that it will be my next tire, which by the way will be soon, within the next 500 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Time for a new rear tire

Kaz71,
You know you could probably put a car tire on the bike. Come to the darkside.
Klink

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'll pass on the car tire idea. Not a fan of how it looks, though have read about people getting some awesome mileage out of them, some over 30k.

I went with Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial Rear Tire Size- 180/70R-16 for $172 from motorcyclesuperstore.com also ordered me a new K&L multi lift for $391. Also found a savings code for $9.41 for check out. Both items free shipping as well.

I have a Bridgestone on it now (came with the cruiser new) however this Bridgestone I ordered is a different model. I'll see if I can hit the 10k mark with them as they boosted about in video. I know tires are like what oil changes are to vehicles with cruisers (heavy cruisers). If this tire works out better (fingers crossed) then great, if not I might go with the Dunlop D404 tire as I heard from some people they see 12k, also heard Commander 2 is another good tire as well.

I also have a rock gravel driveway and rock gravel private road to contend with. Gravel tends to cause faster tire wear. Though I do go slow when traveling over it, no more then 3-5 mph. Also I know with Japanese motorcycles and ATV's they usually come with a cheaper type tire to keep cost down for manufacturer and aren't exactly the best tires for wear. So that Bridgestone that I currently have could have been some specially designed cheap model made for low cost, cause I haven't come across the actual tire model online I don't think yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll be interested in the results. I'm in the same boat right now, looking for a new tire for my 1700 Nomad. Heard bad reviews on the Exedras... like the reviews on the Michelan's as noted above, but didn't like the fact they don't make the exact replacement size.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be interested in the results. I'm in the same boat right now, looking for a new tire for my 1700 Nomad. Heard bad reviews on the Exedras... like the reviews on the Michelan's as noted above, but didn't like the fact they don't make the exact replacement size.
This one is the Exedra Max (read good reviews about it) people claiming 11k-12k miles out of them and some still counting. There was a couple posts of the Exedra's that weren't so good, but they said the Max was better.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You just have to check around for local repair shops. They may or may not be cheaper.

Quite a few people don't actually mount the tires, but they do buy them on line and work with a local/independent shop to either completely do the job, or else remove the wheel(s) and bring them plus the tires(s) to the independent to do the mounting then reinstall'em themselves.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This one is the Exedra Max (read good reviews about it) people claiming 11k-12k miles out of them and some still counting. There was a couple posts of the Exedra's that weren't so good, but they said the Max was better.
I have yet to see a big difference in mileage for any MC tire brand, unless you change either driving style or to a considerably different type of tire.

I got tired of 4500-5000 miles on VN2K rears at ~$300 each (installed), so I'm sporting Darkside now.

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
You don't wanna know! Did I hit a nerve when I complimented him on a wise decision!
No sir my nerves are fine.
Here is how i view it. So far it looks as though i will have avoided the purchase of at least 4 rear M/T by going the car tire route maybe 5 M/T with this 1 C/T but forget the money ( $2,000 ) just the hassle of having my bike wrenched on all the time,the down time, the opportunity of someone messing up removing the back wheel and renstalling it is my biggest comfort. I have stated thru the years that my fear is some idiot messing up my bike or hell me messing up my bike is my number 1 reason for going darkside. I have viewed many hours of video and talked to many riders running a C/T AND PUT WELL OVER 15K miles on my own C/T and so far its been great. I have never been told by a fellow rider running a C/T to NOT do it. But i have been told by plenty of folks with 0 experience that its dangerous. So everyones definition of smart is subject to opinion... Bulldozer

·
Registered
24 Posts
No sir my nerves are fine.
Here is how i view it. So far it looks as though i will have avoided the purchase of at least 4 rear M/T by going the car tire route maybe 5 M/T with this 1 C/T but forget the money ( $2,000 ) just the hassle of having my bike wrenched on all the time,the down time, the opportunity of someone messing up removing the back wheel and renstalling it is my biggest comfort. I have stated thru the years that my fear is some idiot messing up my bike or hell me messing up my bike is my number 1 reason for going darkside. I have viewed many hours of video and talked to many riders running a C/T AND PUT WELL OVER 15K miles on my own C/T and so far its been great. I have never been told by a fellow rider running a C/T to NOT do it. But i have been told by plenty of folks with 0 experience that its dangerous. So everyones definition of smart is subject to opinion... Bulldozer
I have no opinion for or against mounting a car tire but i do have a question. I like the arguments you present for going darkside. I have had 2 different Nomads though, (03 and 09) and both times the rear tire has worn so that the middle of the tire is flat vs rounded. The handling difference is VERY noticeable to me when this has happened. Very "squirrely" and unstable feeling. Don't you experience that same thing with a car tire?

·
Registered
864 Posts
When i was looking for a sweet spot air pressure wise i started at 32lbs it seemed squirely to me then as went up in lbs it got better. Now i run 38lbs and i ck it often with 2 gages and the beast handles great.
I believe the Nomad is a bit lighter so a c/t mite be fine with 35 or less air, of coarse the tire brand makes a difference too.
The difference in handling takes a few days to get used to. Im not sure how to describe the difference but for me the c/t is more stable, lots of tread on the ground. I have another v2k i try to ride every other week or so and it has a m/t on it, i just feel better on the c/t. I dont ride the 2nd bike very hard kinda just putz around but as soon as the Bridgerock is worn out i will put a c/t on it. If you have a few go to utube and search Yellow Wolf Deals Gap and watch him ride his Wing thru the twistys on a c/t its amazing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 Vulcan Voyager with the stock 170/70-B16 75H tire on the back. After 8,000 miles, the tire is slick, no tread in the middle, plus I just took a nail dead center. Had to plug it to get home (400 miles). Anyway, I am wanting to put a metzler 180/70 R16 ME 880 on. Is anyone running this tire? Will it fit? My local Kaw. dealer is telling me NO! And they want to order me a Metzler 180/65-16 81H ME 888. Plus they tell me not to run a Radial on the back and a bias on the front.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went through the OEM Bridgestones (didn't like the feel), then a set of Pirelli MT66's (better, but still not great). Got about 12,000 miles from each rear tire on an '03 800 Classic. Not bad, but I ride a great deal and 12,000 miles seems to go by in a flash, so I went looking for more.

About a year & nearly 10,000 miles ago I put on a set of Michelin COMMANDER II's and I am impressed. The rear 140/90-16 COMMANDER II STILL looks and rides like new (realistically expecting 18,000 miles). As for the front [130/90-16], it also still looks & rides like new & I have no idea how long it may last, but 25,000 miles will not shock me.

Maybe I've just been fortunate, but, unless they suddenly start falling apart, I will NOT put anything else on this bike. If your experience is remotely similar to mine, any premium paid for the COMMANDER II WILL be paid back, and then some.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have no opinion for or against mounting a car tire but i do have a question. I like the arguments you present for going darkside. I have had 2 different Nomads though, (03 and 09) and both times the rear tire has worn so that the middle of the tire is flat vs rounded. The handling difference is VERY noticeable to me when this has happened. Very "squirrely" and unstable feeling. Don't you experience that same thing with a car tire?
I'm still pretty new to darkside and yeah, it's different. Doesn't feel squirrely to me, but yeah, it's a big flat tire. To me counter steer takes a fair bit more effort. And, at low speeds around town, you feel the bump steer, as some call it, more than with a MC tire. However, it's not different enough nor concerning enough for me to pull it off and go back to MC tire...at least in my ~2,000 mile experience with it so far.

My advice is if you want a bunch more tread life at a little compromise in driving feel then darkside may be for you. If you are not willing to relinquish any of the motorcycle tire driving feel then darkside probably isn't for you.

By driving feel I don't mean dragging floorboards type of thing. Plenty of examples that you can drag floorboards just fine riding on darkside. I mean the same lightness of handling, essentially effortless turn in, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ride a Vulcan 2000 and after my third tire change at 7000 miles went to the Michelan' commander II. Had to drop down to a 190 as they don't make the 205 yet. Handling is awesome wet or dry. No road noise from tire and no wear at all a 5,000. Best friend has 18,000 on his and they are just now starting to show wear. If I get 10,000 to 12,000 out of these I will never put anything else on. Very impressed with this tire.

·
Registered
259 Posts
not gonna chip in on the darkside topic, but on mounting... some shops will mount tires for you. Most like it when you bring the tire and wheel in loose, actually most like for you to buy the tires from them... i think it's a insurance/liability thing, but i avoid all that and mount my own tires. it saves money, but boy can it be a pain in the joker. if you have access to a tire machine, it isn't so bad but normal tools and spoons will have you swearing like you ain't got kids to worry about hearing you. the hardest part is breaking the bead. would be nice if someone showed you the first time, i wouldn't attempt it solo if i hadn't been mounting truck tires back in school to pay bills before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts