Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I give up ! I have been searching the forum for the "best" answer to the front tire question.

I have a 225/60-16 HRT Sumitomo car tire on the back which I LOVE and I will need a new front tire soon.

So what is the best tire to go with ?

I have run a rear tire on the front before on a Gold Wing. The added tread depth really improve the grip and handling so I am open to rear tires on the front.

Let 'er rip guys !

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The best? I really don't know. I went with the Exedra (Plus, I think...) because it was the cheapest "good" tire I could find. It's been fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would second the Exedra Max.
I have 11,000 miles on mine, and have been very happy with it.
Didn't start showing wear until about 10,000... and no cupping at all...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Yeah, "best" is always subjective.

I have a Metzler 880 on the front. Works fine and no cupping that I recall.

Since I recently went darkside (and the op has darkside) and can tell the higher countersteer effort required, I'm curious to know if other people running darkside have noticed a decrease in front tire life as a result.

·
Registered
659 Posts
This thread makes me feel better about my choice. I'm in the process of getting ready to order tires and I too am going with the Bridgestone Exedra max with a rear on the front. I was at the Motorcycle Superstore this past weekend and spoke with an employee there who uses Bridgestone. He said it was the only tire he used so I took that as a good sign from someone who has access to hundreds of tires.

...and by the way, I've found that they're the cheapest at BikeBandit.com.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 150/80-16 Excedra Max on the bike now and have no complaints about how it rides.

I can't tell if it is a radial or bias tire. There is no "R" after the size on the tire so I assume it is a bias tire.

Which is better for the beast - radial or bias ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Team,
My understanding is the Exedra Max is only available in radial.
Which is better??? All a matter of opinion.
I prefer and will only run radials..

·
Registered
659 Posts
http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-exedra-max-cruiser-and-touring-tire?WT.mc_id=googlemerchantfeed&utm_source=feed&utm_medium=merchantfeed&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CIfX8--2h7gCFe9cMgodo2EAQA

Use the drop down box and you'll see the Exedra Max rear tire in the 150/80 - 16 is indeed a bias ply tire. However the front tire is radial of the same size. Maybe Bridgestone makes one, I don't know, but using Bike Bandits site, they don't have it.
My take on bias vs. belted is this, not only is it a can of worms because everyone is right but I will probably never, ever, ever ride my bike to the limits it is capable of. I'm proud to have big chicken strips, it means my bike is still shiny side up and therefore I will more than likely never run a tire; bias or otherwise to the point of destruction. Granted a defect can ruin any tire prematurely but other than that run whatever you like, honestly. Mine will soon have two rear bridgestone exedras mounted.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Commander II

Team,
I am running a rear Michilin Comander II and after 5000 miles it still looks new.
Klink
I just installed one with a Goodyear TT on the back.
I hope I like it.
I don't like the noisey BS stock tire.

JJ

·
Registered
659 Posts
Was just reading over this thread and my last post sounded kinda curt, sorry, didn't mean for that. It's hard to type any inflection on this keyboard.

Carry on:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Was just reading over this thread and my last post sounded kinda curt, sorry, didn't mean for that. It's hard to type any inflection on this keyboard.
No curt taken... my friend...
I just purchase an Avon Cobra for the front.

Anyone have any insight on this tire ????
I picked it up cause the price was impassable..
It has more of a sports bike shape to it, than a wide cruiser shape....

·
Registered
864 Posts
No curt taken... my friend...
I just purchase an Avon Cobra for the front.

Anyone have any insight on this tire ????
I picked it up cause the price was impassable..
It has more of a sports bike shape to it, than a wide cruiser shape....
I have been thinkin about the Avon Cobra , only a veiw reviews out there so i am anxious to hear what you think about it ! Do you mind telling us the price and where you bought it ? Thanks, BD > YOUR REAR DARKSIDE LOOKS GREAT.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you mounting a smaller tire than OEM ?

I have been looking for the Avon cobra in a front tire and haven't been able to find any in 150/80-16

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So has anyone run a Excedra Max and then an Avon on the front ?

I am running an Excedra Max now and I am going to have to get a new tire soon.

Was there a noticeable difference with the Avon ?

·
Registered
864 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts