Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been buying and selling bikes for 20 years as a hobby. Now that I'm getting older(47) I want another full blown tourer. Had it narrowed down to the following:

Goldwing GL1800
Ultra Classic
Venture
Voyager

The Goldwing rocks but I decided I wanted a big V-twin this time and wanted to stretch out more than the Goldwing permits.

The Ultra Classic is cool and all but here in FLA I didnt want to deal with the air cooled engine as summer heat is insane. In addition, at idle the shake doesnt appeal to me.

The Venture is carburated and only 1300 cc so its more a higher revving powerplant to make power.

While the Voyager isnt perfect, I did fall in love with it on a recent test ride. The lack of standard heated grips, seat, Intercom connections and CB is a bummer but then again the prices on them are very good.

I found one out of state and after a day of negotiating I struck a deal on a 2012 Grey/black ABS with only 2,900 miles for $10,250. Its an unmolested bike thats in like new condition.

Mod list:

Shorter windshield with Goldwing-like adjustable vent.
Driver backrest
Intercom connections
CB

Sad part is my buddy who will do the inspection/evaluation and purchase will have the bike in his garage till December. Oh the wait is going to kill me!!

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Instead of adding intercom connections to the bike - have you considered simply adding bluetooth devices to your helmets? My wife & I use Sena units, and they're better than anything else we've ever tried.

Take a look at Avon's heated grips too... You'll have to get inventive with the controller mount, but the grips themselves are an easy fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick, You got the best color combo for 2012! A riding friend of mine has your combo and its stunning.

Peg, we all have the Sena SMH-10 units and we do like them however all the touring peeps in our group use CB too. Our Senas are good but we do on occasion have difficulty with them as they are line of sight with a limited range, only can have up to four intercom and if you want to also pair in a phone or GPS device with three or more people the Senas get taxed. I'm certain the SMH-20 is improved but we aren't all going to re-invest in them.

Craig

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Instead of adding intercom connections to the bike - have you considered simply adding bluetooth devices to your helmets? My wife & I use Sena units, and they're better than anything else we've ever tried.

Take a look at Avon's heated grips too... You'll have to get inventive with the controller mount, but the grips themselves are an easy fit.
Agreed. The Sena units do work great. Because it's a blue tooth, and can be paired with your phone, you can receive/make phone calls as well.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You got the best color.............

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
No.. and I have gold pin stripe....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade to one of those from my 9. I test rode a 2011 & I couldn't believe how similar it feels to the 900. Nimble, easy to throw around & almost same! Now I'm hooked & must get my hands on one.
Great deal on your bike dude!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rick, You got the best color combo for 2012! A riding friend of mine has your combo and its stunning.

Peg, we all have the Sena SMH-10 units and we do like them however all the touring peeps in our group use CB too. Our Senas are good but we do on occasion have difficulty with them as they are line of sight with a limited range, only can have up to four intercom and if you want to also pair in a phone or GPS device with three or more people the Senas get taxed. I'm certain the SMH-20 is improved but we aren't all going to re-invest in them.

Craig
Craig, you will be pleased with your choice of the Voyager.

I had the Sena SMH10 till this summer but with more of us riding together I sold mine to a riding buddy and got the S20. The S20 gives you a 1.2 mile range and has amazingly clear reception.
You can pair the S20 to the SMH10s if you want and have up to 9 persons using the intercom together in group mode.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I wonder if the 2011 and 2012 Black was the same.
I believe they are. I also traded the chrome speaker grills and the chrome tank bib with a guy in Ill. that had a Vaquero. I definately did not like the looks of those in chrome. My voyager looks a ton better with the black speaker grilla and tank bib. Plus I am not blinded by sunlight most of the day.....

DSCN1774.jpg

DSCN1775.jpg

DSCN1776.jpg

DSCN1777.jpg

DSCN1778.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bubba,

I have to agree! The black bib and speaker grills look incredible in black!!!!

I also want to thank you for your service as well. My late father was Army Air Corp in WWII and was also a Mason. Thumbs up to you!

Craig

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craig, you will be pleased with your choice of the Voyager.

I had the Sena SMH10 till this summer but with more of us riding together I sold mine to a riding buddy and got the S20. The S20 gives you a 1.2 mile range and has amazingly clear reception.
You can pair the S20 to the SMH10s if you want and have up to 9 persons using the intercom together in group mode.
Archer, I may go for the 20 if I cant find a factory CB set for reasonable money. Have you had a chance to pair with multiple riders while also paired with your phone or GPS? This is where the 10 had trouble even with the latest firmware.

Craig

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking to upgrade to one of those from my 9. I test rode a 2011 & I couldn't believe how similar it feels to the 900. Nimble, easy to throw around & almost same! Now I'm hooked & must get my hands on one.
Great deal on your bike dude!
Max, there are some great deals to be had now that the cold weather has set in and if your not afraid to travel a bit. My seller didnt want to hold his bike through the long cold winter and let it go for cheap.

Craig

·
Registered
118 Posts
2011 "Black" Voyager

I have one, it's a two tone, and just sparkles at the right angle.
Been good so far, ~18,000 kilometers, since 2013.
The big twin is a different cadence and pace from any 4/6 cyl.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I believe they are. I also traded the chrome speaker grills and the chrome tank bib with a guy in Ill. that had a Vaquero. I definately did not like the looks of those in chrome. My voyager looks a ton better with the black speaker grilla and tank bib. Plus I am not blinded by sunlight most of the day.....

View attachment 94938

View attachment 94946

View attachment 94954

View attachment 94962

View attachment 94970
Bubba,
I really like those LEDs.
I've seen several packages around but not sure what I would like to buy.
Which ones did you go with? And would you recommend them?

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Archer, I may go for the 20 if I cant find a factory CB set for reasonable money. Have you had a chance to pair with multiple riders while also paired with your phone or GPS? This is where the 10 had trouble even with the latest firmware.

Craig
Craig, six of us are paired, two with S20s and four with SMH10s. Three of us have phones paired and one also has GPS.
With the S20 you can also listen to music through Bluetooth at the same time as you are on intercom at 60% volume on the music side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you use a Iphone you can make and recieve calls while riding also it will charge while riding. You can also listen to music on the Iphone through your stereo.
The Vulcan does have a lot of grunt to pull with. My only issue is my short legs I can not flat foot the my VV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 12' has the Red and white stripe. This is a close up of the trunk. The black doesn't have a heavy flake in it if that is what you are getting at. I bought her new and now have just shy of 33,000 miles on her. That is a great price! The Voyager is a great bike! Not being an A$$ but why do you need heated grips if you are from Florida? I rode into work this morning at 40 degrees.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts