Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ordered a commanderII tire, dynabeads and tire tools from Jakewilson.com. Have not ever done a tire on the bike Myself, but, should be pretty straight forward. 189 bucks for everything. Also went in search of a tool for the axle removal. I found and bought an 8 piece 1/2 inch drive set of hex tools. The largest one is 22 millimeters. 55 bucks. I will need these again anyway.
Now, Anybody have any tricks, tips, or advice on the work I am about to do. This is the only thing I have never done at home, and, I see no reason that it would be a difficult task.
This is what I know.
Jack up bike so front tire is just off the ground.
Remove calipers.
Loosen clamp bolts on right fork.
Remove axle.
Keep spacers from hitting floor. (mark each so they go back on same side.)
Remove and replace tire with arrow correct. Dot at valve stem.
Seat the bead with air.
Add dynabeads.
Replace air valve and set to desired PSI.
Put it all back on bike in reverse order.
Leave clamp bolts loose and work front forks without using brake to let fork find home.
Tighten clamp bolts.
Ride and enjoy.
Shep

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Well, I ordered a commanderII tire, dynabeads and tire tools from Jakewilson.com. Have not ever done a tire on the bike Myself, but, should be pretty straight forward. 189 bucks for everything. Also went in search of a tool for the axle removal. I found and bought an 8 piece 1/2 inch drive set of hex tools. The largest one is 22 millimeters. 55 bucks. I will need these again anyway.
Now, Anybody have any tricks, tips, or advice on the work I am about to do. This is the only thing I have never done at home, and, I see no reason that it would be a difficult task.
This is what I know.
Jack up bike so front tire is just off the ground.
Remove calipers.
Loosen clamp bolts on right fork.
Remove axle.
Keep spacers from hitting floor. (mark each so they go back on same side.)
Remove and replace tire with arrow correct. Dot at valve stem.
Seat the bead with air.
Add dynabeads.
Replace air valve and set to desired PSI.
Put it all back on bike in reverse order.
Leave clamp bolts loose and work front forks without using brake to let fork find home.
Tighten clamp bolts.
Ride and enjoy.
Shep
Shep, I can probably save you $55 if you want to. If you have a standard 13/16 spark plug socket, the outside nut pattern is the exact size for the axle. Just remove the rubber insert that holds the spark plug, put a 3/8 in. extension in thru the socket and add a ratchet and BAM!! You have an axle wrench.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Shep, I can probably save you $55 if you want to. If you have a standard 13/16 spark plug socket, the outside nut pattern is the exact size for the axle. Just remove the rubber insert that holds the spark plug, put a 3/8 in. extension in thru the socket and add a ratchet and BAM!! You have an axle wrench.

Good advice, I'll be changing my front tire in 3 months or so. Thats the great thing about forums like this. Thanks for passing on this helpful info!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Guess what, I have three 5/8 plug sockets, and I can't find the old 13\16. It will turn up someday I bet. Probably a week from now. I looked at them at the parts houses and I noticed all have a tiny round hole for the plug tip. One of my 5/8 plug sockets you can actually put an extension in backwards after removing the rubber inside and use the end you speak of. I am sure I will have other uses for the 55 dollar set I bought. Anyway, every new job I do I get new tools. That is part of the game isn't it. At least thats what I tell My wife when it is honeydew time. LOL. I have tools for just about any job You could imagine. Just did not have the one I need for this job. Thanks for trying to save Me 55, but, I saved more than that already with doing the tire Myself. CommanderII tire at Jakewilson was only 109 bucks and free shipping. Ordered monday at 5:45 pm and it was here Wednesday at 2:00 pm. From Utah to Indiana. USPS needs to take a look at how UPS does this. 44 hours. Amazing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guess what, I have three 5/8 plug sockets, and I can't find the old 13\16. It will turn up someday I bet. Probably a week from now. I looked at them at the parts houses and I noticed all have a tiny round hole for the plug tip. One of my 5/8 plug sockets you can actually put an extension in backwards after removing the rubber inside and use the end you speak of. I am sure I will have other uses for the 55 dollar set I bought. Anyway, every new job I do I get new tools. That is part of the game isn't it. At least thats what I tell My wife when it is honeydew time. LOL. I have tools for just about any job You could imagine. Just did not have the one I need for this job. Thanks for trying to save Me 55, but, I saved more than that already with doing the tire Myself. CommanderII tire at Jakewilson was only 109 bucks and free shipping. Ordered monday at 5:45 pm and it was here Wednesday at 2:00 pm. From Utah to Indiana. USPS needs to take a look at how UPS does this. 44 hours. Amazing.
What's this honeydew you speak of, my wife knows better than to ask me to do anything around the house. She decided that she did not like the back splash in our kitchen and ripped it down along with the drywall and the next day when I came home from work she was in the process of painting the newly hung drywall.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
What's this honeydew you speak of, my wife knows better than to ask me to do anything around the house. She decided that she did not like the back splash in our kitchen and ripped it down along with the drywall and the next day when I came home from work she was in the process of painting the newly hung drywall.
Sounds like you have a good woman there. She would be the one I would want helping me fight the zombies, and not quivering in the corner. She's a surviver for sure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I get ready to change my front mike this what I'm using, a deep lug nut. It fits perfect and has enough that I can get a wrench or a socket on it/

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I get ready to change my front mike this what I'm using, a deep lug nut. It fits perfect and has enough that I can get a wrench or a socket on it/

[/URL][/IMG]
Yea Rod, I did not have one lying around and looked for these at the parts house also. Could only but them in a pack of 4 @ 16.99 Did not really think I needed 4 of them around here that I would never use again. Very ingenious though. At least the tools I bought will be used again sometime. Thanks For the tip on JW.com too. Great prices and service.
Mike

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Orderded my commander II last monday morning from JW and it arrived tuesday afternoon, the beads came wednesday. Couldnt find the plug socket or allen wrench in town without having to order it. What I did find was a shock wrench from O'riely's that was a tight fit that would only go into axle about 1/8". A few minutes with a file and it became a perfect fit for the axle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts