Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well having hauled mine all over the first thing i would do is have a front wheel chock > i will look for a link and post it. Next i tied mine down thru the triple tree on each side and at the back on the a frame on each side.. Some might say you can leave it on the side stand but since its such a heavy bike i chose to use the wheel chock and have it upright. I used medium duty rachet straps.. More to come as i will look for some pics.. Bulldozer

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
HAving a front wheel chock is real helpful... but if not... steel rails or nailed down chocks of wood to center and hold the front tire in place. Set the bike vertical and then ratchet down from the handle bars / triple tee to the tie downs with the shocks only about half compressed. Separate tie downs on the rear. With a big heavy bike like this a second set of ratchets as insurance might not go amiss. I also think using the side stand at all is a mistake.

what kinda trailer ya got ?

Annie

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here is the address for Condor , there are other systems out there as well. Remember when you do load and haul the Beast its big and heavy if its done wrong one hard stop could land it in the back window of the tow vehicle ... Good luck, Bulldozer

http://store.condor-lift.com/

·
Registered
563 Posts
I trailered my V2K for the first time last summer and had absolutely no problems. I just have an open utility trailer with low rails. First thing is to have a good wheel chock, I bought the Condor & bolted it to the trailer. This product works great! Bought tie downs designed for motorcycles so there are soft loops and then no scratches on your bike. Tied down in the front onto the engine guards and pulled down so that suspension is PARTIALLY compressed. Make it firm but make sure that there is still some room for the suspension to move a bit. In the back I just tied down on each side to the frame for safety. According to the condor instructions all you need is the front but I just feel safer with 4 straps doing the job for those times when you hit bumps or potholes in the road. Make sure you stop and check your setup a few times as you first go down the road just in case you missed something. Sure makes packing for a long trip easier when you have the whole back of the truck for all your (and spouse) stuff.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
definitely need the rear tie down if you are going any distance.... We once destroyed a trailer by not having it. The bumpy roads for a thousand miles or so caused an up and down hammer effect that pushed the rear tires right thru the thin diamond plate on the cheapo ATV trailer we tried to use.... there is a lot of force there !!!

Rears should be tied down and the rear wheel should be over a strong area...or at least have the load of the rear tire spread over a piece of steel or plywood etc....especially if it is on an expanded metal surface like so many cheap trailers use.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wonder if Mr. Jones is reading all this stuff ? The neat thing about the condor is you ride your bike onto the trailer the condor holds it up and then you tie it down, this can all be done by yourself ! Little bit of a tug of war to back it off the condor because the bike is so heavy but i have done it like 150 times & im old .... I actually installed my tie downs on my trailer they were a ring with 4 bolts i upgraded and put a piece of steel 4 in by 4 in under the wood kinda like a giant washer so my floor board wasnt pulled up. Also if cost is not an object and they are still in business i saw a really neat system at Daytona bike week , its a pin system where you permanently attach a device under your bike ( you cant see it from above ) and you drive it on the trailer where the other half is attached drop in 2 pins and its done & ready to drive away i believe it cost like $500.00, its really cool and takes like 90 seconds to load your bike.. Let me know if you want more info and i will try to find a link.. Bulldozer

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
lol... I would be interested in the link even if Mr. Jones isnt... :)

Our son lives in Daytona... trying to sell a bike there for us... a 1951 panhead.....

We have a super bike trailer... Kendon dual.... so we dont really need the pin system...but would be nice to see how that works.... only issue with the Kendon is that the V2K front tire is so large that is binds in the flip over front chock... had to have it widened by a welder friend when I got the V2K !!

regards old guy...

old annie... ( 60 next month )

Wonder if Mr. Jones is reading all this stuff ? The neat thing about the condor is you ride your bike onto the trailer the condor holds it up and then you tie it down, this can all be done by yourself ! Little bit of a tug of war to back it off the condor because the bike is so heavy but i have done it like 150 times & im old .... I actually installed my tie downs on my trailer they were a ring with 4 bolts i upgraded and put a piece of steel 4 in by 4 in under the wood kinda like a giant washer so my floor board wasnt pulled up. Also if cost is not an object and they are still in business i saw a really neat system at Daytona bike week , its a pin system where you permanently attach a device under your bike ( you cant see it from above ) and you drive it on the trailer where the other half is attached drop in 2 pins and its done & ready to drive away i believe it cost like $500.00, its really cool and takes like 90 seconds to load your bike.. Let me know if you want more info and i will try to find a link.. Bulldozer

·
Registered
864 Posts
Annie i will look for it ! I dont think it will work on the Kendon but i will do my home work and post a link as soon as i find it.... I actually had an enclosed trailer when i lived in the States and the device would have been really trick for our 2 bikes, she rides a 900 . I had the Condor put in with the track system and it was great only took 15 min. or so to load and tie down both scoots.... I wish i had seen the system before i had invested so much in Condor but thats the way the cookie crumbles. Bulldozer, hard at work researching...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Annie
This is a similar system but im not positive they were the same ones at bike week... CRS is my only excuse.. C= cant, R=remember, S= shit , its a serious affliction hit me like 3 years ago.... Bulldozer, still lookin but this should give you an idea what i as talkin about. >>>> Just read some of their customers testimony and it is the same guys i saw, man im good.... $350.00

http://www.bikersgostrapless.com/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
thank you Bulldozer... looks good... I understand how it works...and it would be hard to use on the kendon...and we really dont need it

good to see she rides too.. :)

and yes, I know CRS.... lol...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tie down

I haul mine 3800 mi round trip every winter and IMHO , as far as tie downs go , MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER. Id far sooner spend an extra 15 min tieing & 15 untieing , the extra tie downs , than spending hours kicking my arse while picking up scrap pieces !!!!
Call me a skeptic, but I wont leave without 8 tie downs per bike! and each bike rides into a full length "trough" screwed to a crossmember & each anchor point is either welded to the trailer frame or bolted to a 1 1/4 sq tube crossmember on a purpose built, 78"x120" tandem axle, 4000gvw, trailer with full 1" decking . I have to stagger them by about 4 inch so handlebars dont hit . Maybe its overkill, but they have always arrived intact ,with me!!! LOL

·
Registered
864 Posts
Rk go take a look at the strapless system , at Daytona they actually show the bike using their deal and the whole thing is on its side. On the web site there are pics , i believe you could turn a trailer over with this thing and your bike would stay attached. It always amazes me how lucky some folks are hauling their bikes, in 09 we stayed in the infield at Daytona for Bike week a guy pulled in there with a big bus and trailer his HD was on the side stand and he had 2 straps on the stand side holding it down, if his kickstand had collapsed it woulda went over the side , i couldnt believe it. Bulldozer, sometimes its better to be lucky than smart !

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
putting all your eggs in one basket.?

This is a similar system but im not positive they were the same ones at bike week... CRS is my only excuse.. C= cant, R=remember, S= shit , its a serious affliction hit me like 3 years ago.... Bulldozer, still lookin but this should give you an idea what i as talkin about. >>>> Just read some of their customers testimony and it is the same guys i saw, man im good.... $350.00http://www.bikersgostrapless.com/
bd, interesting concept. quick attach/detach of the bike hardware. simple mating and camlock for the trailer fitting. All seems to be good engineering and heavy duty metal and fabrication.

but.. still.. lets say you got $20k invested in a skooter.. ok, its not a hardley.. so make it 10.. or 15k? Do I trust my investment and not to mention the potential of a 800lb flying missle if there should be a component failure or being a numskull (seems to run in this crowd) forgetting to do something or it coming loose?

Personally, am of the more cautious type (at least when trailering) and tend to OverKill any safety feature that might involve me screwing something up. as it has happened b4. Or some other driver doing stupid stuff and having to perform evasive manuevers. Last thing you want is a loose load. come loose. I like redundant systems. back ups. So with that I use 4 straps on the front of the bike and another 2 on the rear.

Straps can and do break. especially older ones that have seen some weather. Mounting-Pulling points for the straps can and do break. I utilize differing pull points for each strap. It doesnt do any good to double up your straps only to have them under the same failed pull point. kinda dumb. kinda self explanatory. OK, so have made my point. when it comes to loading and trailering anything, MORE secured is MORE BETTER. ponch, out

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ponch Glad to see u r up finally and i agree wholeheartedly the bottom of my trailer was reenforced about as much as you can get, it was the definition of overkill i have seen alot of guys screw their rings down with lag bolts into cheap pine trailer floors and then step back and wonder why it didnt work , duh.... The guys that sell this device claim you can do about any thing to your rig and the bike wont break free im not saying anyone should buy it , but it is a neat idea + i get a $3.00 commission for all the sales i make..... Couldnt you use this deal with a couple of safety straps ?? And how about the folks that tie their bike down utilizing their handle bars as tie points now that bugs me ! Bulldozer, wishin i could sleep in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
cool

bd, interesting concept. quick attach/detach of the bike hardware. simple mating and camlock for the trailer fitting. All seems to be good engineering and heavy duty metal and fabrication.

but.. still.. lets say you got $20k invested in a skooter.. ok, its not a hardley.. so make it 10.. or 15k? Do I trust my investment and not to mention the potential of a 800lb flying missle if there should be a component failure or being a numskull (seems to run in this crowd) forgetting to do something or it coming loose?

Personally, am of the more cautious type (at least when trailering) and tend to OverKill any safety feature that might involve me screwing something up. as it has happened b4. Or some other driver doing stupid stuff and having to perform evasive manuevers. Last thing you want is a loose load. come loose. I like redundant systems. back ups. So with that I use 4 straps on the front of the bike and another 2 on the rear.

Straps can and do break. especially older ones that have seen some weather. Mounting-Pulling points for the straps can and do break. I utilize differing pull points for each strap. It doesnt do any good to double up your straps only to have them under the same failed pull point. kinda dumb. kinda self explanatory. OK, so have made my point. when it comes to loading and trailering anything, MORE secured is MORE BETTER. ponch, out
Ponch, Im with you on the more is better concept, EXCEPT the OTHER idiots on the road with whom we have to contend FEWER would be better LOL
I do like the "latch" system & I can see an advantage in a small enclosed trailer , but like you , I prefer to go the extra , to compensate for MY own ability to screw it up LOL
Ive attached pics of the trailer I use, Ponch ! note the extended tie down points for extra wide stability LOL So far , havent lost a bike ! I hope this doesnt jinx my record LOL
Dozer, NOW my paranoia will force me to add the "latch: also LOL Thanks pal LOL I just REALLY hate having to pick up scrap off the highway.
all the best

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The guys that sell this device claim you can do about any thing to your rig and the bike wont break free im not saying anyone should buy it , but it is a neat idea + i get a $3.00 commission for all the sales i make..... Couldnt you use this deal with a couple of safety straps ?? And how about the folks that tie their bike down utilizing their handle bars as tie points now that bugs me ! Bulldozer, wishin i could sleep in.
bd, so is yor $3 commission for all the sales or is it $3 for each? and how do you qualify each sale? do you write up each order and collect the moola and then withold yor comi? or do you just tell the mfg that all the sales they are writing is result of yor proliferation on the web and in skootdom? maybe you just work pro-bono and anybody orderin a kit just sends you n xtry $3 for the bone you tossed em? seems to be a shakey arrangement here.

straps, xtry or otherwise should be utilized regardless of the primary method of secureology. hey, I too can invent words as best I see fit'erment.

straps on them handy bars is not so.. dandy.they bend under too much pressure. theys not designed for that much load.
I prefer sof'ties. not to wear, but on the skoot. 2 just above the fork lower/sliders at the fender mounts to secure the wheel. 2 at fork lower triple clamp. sometimes an xtry 2 at the roll bar/engine gard just for some side2side stabilization. and then 2 more at near the rear shocks or framage points.

as for sleepin in... in what? am up early evry day. key is goin ta bed erly. 8 solid hours is healthy. less than might 'splain the memoraging. chew on a proverb, dang dont know my numbers but; the Lord gives his blessed sleep to those who love him. put you right out. like a baby. snorzilla. ponch, out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts