Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going on a trip in 2 weeks that will include a 14 hour ferry ride. Once on the ferry I will be responsible to tie the bike down. I have some rachet straps to use but does anyone have any pointers as to where to hook the tie downs onto the bike and so on. Bike is a 2015 Voyager ABS. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just don't use the outside ends of the bars - they'll bend. In the front, your straps will feed up underneath the fairing OK, and you can attach them either to the bars between the risers, or I just run mine over the lower triple-tree clamp. In the back, I just use the rear saddlebag guards.

In a country split into two islands, I'm on a ferry frequently. The same system worked well when I shipped the bike to and from the USA last year.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It kind of depends on the position of the bike in relation to the tie-downs once you get it parked. I have used the rear saddle bag guards and the front lower triple-tree or engine guard myself. Just ensure nothing is rubbing.....NFLD I see, have a great trip

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always zip tie the hooks to the rings on the floor or vehicle mounting point. Too many times I've had a trailer bounce and the front end compression pops the hook off its mount.
Cheap insurance...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking the bike over, I think the best place on front would be the lower triple tree clamps and on the rear either the bar up under the trunk or on the guards for the hard saddle bags.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always zip tie the hooks to the rings on the floor or vehicle mounting point. Too many times I've had a trailer bounce and the front end compression pops the hook off its mount.
Cheap insurance...
I have snap hooks on all my straps. I learned to do this when my side by side came unhooked once in my trailer. I was very lucky... LOL

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I just did a trip in July where we trailered 2 Voyagers side by side in a 12' trailer for 1800 miles. The guards are the way to go front and rear. Make sure that at least your front straps are rated for 900lbs or more. If you compress your suspension about 50% front and rear you should not have any trouble with binders coming loose. I always take the hook over the guards and back to the tie down point or to the back of the eye in the hook at the tie down point then take the tag end and make a couple of half hitches behind the ratchet just in case there is a failure of the ratchet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have only trailered mine once and I wasn't thrilled with my results. My trailer doesn't have a lot of tie down options currently and as mentioned above, bumps can cause the bike to move up and down "wiggle" out of it's strap. I didn't secure my hooks at all :( and ended up losing 2 straps on the trip. Next time I trailer it I will certainly secure the hooks.

will also suggest that you get some soft straps, they're a God send for securing bikes. Mine are similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Straps-Motorcycle-Snowmobile-Prevent-Scratches/dp/B018SVM3G6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1470117066&sr=8-6&keywords=soft+straps+motorcycle

Good luck

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have only trailered mine once and I wasn't thrilled with my results. My trailer doesn't have a lot of tie down options currently and as mentioned above, bumps can cause the bike to move up and down "wiggle" out of it's strap. I didn't secure my hooks at all :( and ended up losing 2 straps on the trip. Next time I trailer it I will certainly secure the hooks.

will also suggest that you get some soft straps, they're a God send for securing bikes. Mine are similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Straps-Motorcycle-Snowmobile-Prevent-Scratches/dp/B018SVM3G6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1470117066&sr=8-6&keywords=soft+straps+motorcycle

Good luck
The key is to compress the suspension about 50%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts