Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Most likely is the air switching valve. This is one of those green tree hugger things that the government makes the manufacturers install. It add air to the exhaust in case any unburned fuel makes it past the combustion chamber. We can't have 15 atoms of hydrocarbon getting on the pavement! Anyway, it is a little solenoid valve that sits behind the air box. There is a hose going from the air box up to the valve. If you add aftermarket pipes or debaffle the exhaust, this extra air will make very noticeable backfires. With the stock exhaust, it is muffled so much you can't hear the backfiring. There are several ways to disable the valve, but you can't remove it or the computer will throw a FI light on the speedo. So there is no way to get rid of the clicking other than drowning it out with louder pipes or something.

·
Registered
217 Posts
does anybody know what would cause a ticking when letting off the throttle
Here is the scoop as I have read. The tick is caused by the Air Switching Valve under the tank #17 in pic. Under deceleration it ticks diverting air "opens" into enter the exhaust so the cat-converts will burn unburnt fuel. It ticks when the throttle is opened under acceleration, closing the valve. It is an annoying noise. If you unplug the valve the FI Indicator Light will come on. I have read it serves no purpose after the stock exhaust is removed, also some people plug the valve to stop the backfiring it causes under deceleration. I ware a full helmet most of the time so the noise is muted.
:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - new member and new 2009 900LT owner. Great information here and I am loving the 900! My LT "ticks" a little but it isn't very loud and doesn't bother me. Wondering if some sound-deadening material could be duck-taped around that air switching solenoid under the tank to tame the noise. Don't know if that would work at all, but just throwing out the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts