Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, please help and sorry if I'm rethreading old stuff, I looked it up and couldn't find it:

1. I've noticed this sound on my 2007 vn 900. It resembles a sewing machine, or the noise of the... damn thing that goes on top of a cam, dunno the word in English for it lol. I can't tell the revs since I haven't installed a tacho (yet), but I'm guessing somewhere in the midrange. Appears only when in motion, somewhere around 30 mph.

2. when hot, I almost never manage to get to neutral (don't laught guys pls), it's like I have to release the clutch lever a bit, then it sound like the clutch couples and I manage to find N

got the bike a couple of months ago at about 12000 mi. It's a second, no details about the first and former owner; bike looks great and, judging by tirewear, was ridden (almost exclusively in) a straight line...

many thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uhm people?... any thoughts about the annoying clicking? Is my engine gonna fall apart lol ?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
If there's no evidence the valves have been adjusted recently I would have that done. It's quite normal to hear the valve train on a motorcycle.
Motorcycles like ours use dog teeth synchros that make it difficult to shift down when standing still. I suggest you do all your downshifting while you're slowing just before you come to a stop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
G'day Mihai,

I'll answer your questions from my experiences with my VN 900 Custom.

1 - This is most likely the air injection solenoid (part of the emission gear), I can only hear mine at idle due to my aftermarket pipes. Quite normal, as most people on this forum will tell you, the 9 makes all kinds of 'normal' noises!!

2 - When I first got my bike, I was also concerned about the difficulty in finding neutral when slowing down, but this is also normal. However, the Kawasaki "easy neutral finder" works very well when the bike is stationary. I actual have trouble finding first when stopped, but no problem when slowing down for lights etc., weird eh?!?

Hope this helps, ride safe!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
G'day Mihai,

I'll answer your questions from my experiences with my VN 900 Custom.

1 - This is most likely the air injection solenoid (part of the emission gear), I can only hear mine at idle due to my aftermarket pipes. Quite normal, as most people on this forum will tell you, the 9 makes all kinds of 'normal' noises!!

2 - When I first got my bike, I was also concerned about the difficulty in finding neutral when slowing down, but this is also normal. However, the Kawasaki "easy neutral finder" works very well when the bike is stationary. I actual have trouble finding first when stopped, but no problem when slowing down for lights etc., weird eh?!?

Hope this helps, ride safe!! ;)
Ramakill, your post made me think about what I do when I slow to a stop and it ties in with your comment. While slowing I work my way down to 1st, not neutral, then if I think I'm going to be there a while and it's safe, I shift up to neutral.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's really hard to select neutral from 2nd. But if you go to first then lift for neutral. It's a piece of cake....I think Kawa made it that way. I like the fact that the shifter has an elevated feeling when you are in 1st or 5th. Most of the time I'm too numb to think of those helpers. Yes that air valve under that tank makes some noise when closing or opening the throttle. I find I keep trying to pick at my poor bike, listening for imperfections. I'm slowly maturing to ignore the noises and idiosyncrasies of this bike. It is rock solid and runs like a well oiled clock....so I need to just give up. You know even the cromed plastic covers have advantages over Harley's solid metal parts. They are lighter, don't rust and are precision made.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Guys, please help and sorry if I'm rethreading old stuff, I looked it up and couldn't find it:

1. I've noticed this sound on my 2007 vn 900. It resembles a sewing machine, or the noise of the... damn thing that goes on top of a cam, dunno the word in English for it lol. I can't tell the revs since I haven't installed a tacho (yet), but I'm guessing somewhere in the midrange. Appears only when in motion, somewhere around 30 mph.

2. when hot, I almost never manage to get to neutral (don't laught guys pls), it's like I have to release the clutch lever a bit, then it sound like the clutch couples and I manage to find N

got the bike a couple of months ago at about 12000 mi. It's a second, no details about the first and former owner; bike looks great and, judging by tirewear, was ridden (almost exclusively in) a straight line...

Probably the injectors. I can hear mine if I don't wear earplugs.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Mahai
I find my 09 classic has to be at a stop in first gear to find neutral. I seems always to miss nuetal while in motion. I would be tempted to put non syntetic 20w-50 motorcycle oil see if this helps the shifting issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Per MOM (p62):
The transmission is equipped with a positive neutral finder. When the motorcycle is standing still, the transmission cannot be shifted past neutral from 1st gear. To use the positive neutral finder, shift down to 1st gear, then lift up on the shift pedal while standing still. The transmission will shift only into neutral.

I ASSume this is to make finding Neutral easy when stopped, and to make it less likely to miss second when rolling. Emergency stopping aside, I pull the clutch and shift down to first before coming to a complete stop. If you do stop in a higher gear, you may have to rock the bike a little to get it to shift down. The rocking moves the gears and allows the teeth to align so it will shift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol guys you certainly did NOT scare me off, I'm most grateful for the input :)

Johnnyplano, that IS exactly what happens. Again guys, excuse me for the n00b questions, it IS my first bike after all. Yup, poured the 20w 50 oil, does run indeed smoother. And yes, will go for a checkup with those valves (also, will be present at said checkup so that I can see what the gismos look like lol)

Sojourner and everyone else, thank you so much for the advice. Will soon post pix from one of the nicest roads in Romania (one of the best in the world actually, believe it or not, according to http://vimeo.com/8010978 )

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
lol guys you certainly did NOT scare me off, I'm most grateful for the input :)

Johnnyplano, that IS exactly what happens. Again guys, excuse me for the n00b questions, it IS my first bike after all. Yup, poured the 20w 50 oil, does run indeed smoother. And yes, will go for a checkup with those valves (also, will be present at said checkup so that I can see what the gismos look like lol)

Sojourner and everyone else, thank you so much for the advice. Will soon post pix from one of the nicest roads in Romania (one of the best in the world actually, believe it or not, according to http://vimeo.com/8010978 )
You also have some of the most beautiful women, so there's two good reasons to visit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:)) lol that is also very true, and whaddayaknow, they may have a penchant for English-speakers (often) and for bikers (nearly always!) so do not hesitate to drop by :)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts