Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute on my VN900 classic. A slight mechanical "tic", has appeared lately when accelerating from stop-through-first gear. It is just a consistent single event every time in 1st gear only. There is no noise associated with it. It is not enough to really call a "hesitation" like an interruption in the fuel/air supply, or even an electrical glitch, but more of a mechanical feel.
I appreciate any ideas, or experience with this kind of issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I asked a rider here at work to take my bike for a lunch period ride today to get his opinion. He described my 1st gear event as more of a single “shudder”. He thinks that a slipping drive belt may be the culprit (I did have the rear tire replaced at my Kawasaki dealer three weeks ago - about the time I first noticed this). I will measure the belt deflection per my manual at 10lb force. But, has anyone had dirt or grease, or etc. cause a tooth to jump or slip under 1st gear torque?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I asked a rider here at work to take my bike for a lunch period ride today to get his opinion. He described my 1st gear event as more of a single “shudder”. He thinks that a slipping drive belt may be the culprit (I did have the rear tire replaced at my Kawasaki dealer three weeks ago - about the time I first noticed this). I will measure the belt deflection per my manual at 10lb force. But, has anyone had dirt or grease, or etc. cause a tooth to jump or slip under 1st gear torque?
Easy enough to inspect the belt when you're checking the tension as the rear wheel will be off the ground. Any cuts or punctures need to be addressed. The belt can be washed so you may want to get a toothbrush, soap and water and clean it up. Does the "tick" occur in 1st no matter what your throttle input is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it takes place at any throttle input, once at the beginning of the torque and not afterwards, in 1st gear or any other gear. By the way, the belt looks clean and is resting very close to the rear pully outer flange.
As near as I can tell, there is about 1\8 inch belt deflection (0.125) at 10lbs, although my manual just says take it to a dealer.
My last oil change, I used 10W30 synthetic instead of 10W40 synthetic. Do you think my clutch may be slipping?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yes, it takes place at any throttle input, once at the beginning of the torque and not afterwards, in 1st gear or any other gear. By the way, the belt looks clean and is resting very close to the rear pully outer flange.
As near as I can tell, there is about 1\8 inch belt deflection (0.125) at 10lbs, although my manual just says take it to a dealer.
My last oil change, I used 10W30 synthetic instead of 10W40 synthetic. Do you think my clutch may be slipping?
With the wheel off the ground and only about 1/8" belt deflection, I would say the belt is too tight. But that's another issue. The clutch is suppose to slip when you're taking off but not make any noise, or take a "set", as it sounds like you are describing. I'm not familiar with the clutch internals on a Vulcan but looks similar to what Honda uses. A broken clutch spring or sheared rivet on the inner basket may cause the clutch package to be out of alignment when the clutch is pulled in. That may be your next step.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a similar issue and found that the ticking was the throttle cable that needed to be tightened. The end of the cable that rests inside the hand grip grip was snapping back and forth creating the ticking noise. First I thought it was a constant noise but later found that it was every time i throttled up or down

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Addendum9, if you feel comfortable doing this, I want you to shift from one gear to the next without using the clutch. This is not uncommon when a gearbox has dog teeth, not syncros. Use more than 50% throttle, and while you are accelerating, put pressure on the shift lever just before you're ready to upshift. While holding the pressure, quickly back off the throttle about 25% and be ready to go back to heavy throttle as soon as you feel the next gear engage. You are not hurting the gearbox doing this. Anyone who races never use the clutch to upshift. Since the clutch is fully engaged the whole time you are doing this maneuver there should be no tick or "set" feeling that you experienced. If that's what you feel/hear then you need to get into the clutch.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. What year is the bike?
2. How many miles?
3. How long have you owned?
4. You say it has a "tic", but no noise? Is it more of a hesitation or surge as I would associate a "tic" with noise?
5. Did it just happen one day?
6. Any aftermarket add-ons...processor, pipes, etc?

I would not suspect clutch at this time because if it was, it should happen in all gears.
Have to nail down what you are experiencing before any speculations can be made.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
1. What year is the bike?
2. How many miles?
3. How long have you owned?
4. You say it has a "tic", but no noise? Is it more of a hesitation or surge as I would associate a "tic" with noise?
5. Did it just happen one day?
6. Any aftermarket add-ons...processor, pipes, etc?

I would not suspect clutch at this time because if it was, it should happen in all gears.
Have to nail down what you are experiencing before any speculations can be made.
In post #4 the OP said "all gears" as well as all throttle positions. That's what made me want to rule out the clutch next.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
If it happens in all gears, seems to show up on initial application of throttle, it could be the dreaded front pulley/output shaft chew-up. If this is the case, it needs attention IMMEDIATELY before major damage is done, if not already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Sojourner and Sfair for not being clear. This soundless event only happens in first gear just a fraction of a second after initial throttle application. No other gears seem to be involved.

1. What year is the bike? (2010)
2. How many miles? (17,000)
3. How long have you owned? (since May, 2013. I have ridden it for 3000 miles.)
4. You say it has a "tic", but no noise? Is it more of a hesitation or surge as I would associate a "tic" with noise? (You are right, it is sort of a silent "jerk")
5. Did it just happen one day? (I noticed it 3 weeks ago)
6. Any aftermarket add-ons...processor, pipes, etc? (Completely stock)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Jack the back wheel off of the ground and check for ANY play at the rear and front pulleys by putting the bike in gear and rocking the wheel back and forth being extremely sensitive to any play.

Pull on the top of the tire to take out any normal transmission slop and then give a good tug. Then pull on the bottom taking out the transmission play again and then giving a good tug again trying to note any additional movement.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine too

My Classic LT does the same thing..
I am pretty sure it is the clutches chattering when first ageing:D:D .
I only have 2500 miles so i don,t think it is anything worn out...Least i hope not:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Results so far

I jacked the back wheel off of the ground with it in gear and did not detect any looseness or play at either pulley when I rocked the wheel back and forth.

I pulled on the bottom of the tire with no movement that I could tell. I tried the top, but really couldn't get a good purchase on the top. As far as I could tell, it wouldn't move any further.

I also ordered a Clymer manual to see if it will be any help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts