Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed Cobra Tri Oval slip ons. Love the sound, not loud unless you want it to be. Just put on Cobra's new Fi2000 pro tuner, its a snap to install.
Now I need an air kit. But I can't seem to make any sense out of the parts I need. Does my old air filter get replaced with the new kit. Also what happens on the left side of the bike- do you buy a new cover and if so how is it attached. If any one has done this I could sure use some help, pictures maybe and part numbers. I have a 2011 ABS Voyager.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have installed Cobra Tri Oval slip ons. Love the sound, not loud unless you want it to be. Just put on Cobra's new Fi2000 pro tuner, its a snap to install.
Now I need an air kit. But I can't seem to make any sense out of the parts I need. Does my old air filter get replaced with the new kit. Also what happens on the left side of the bike- do you buy a new cover and if so how is it attached. If any one has done this I could sure use some help, pictures maybe and part numbers. I have a 2011 ABS Voyager.
If you haven't heard of Thunder Mfg Co yet, that is the way to go. Yes your air filter will be changed out with one in their kit(which is K&N). If you want to use your stock R/S cover then you will want the #51010 kit at this link.
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=352
If you want a different cover you will have to choose from what they have to offer and buy a adapter. Now as far as the left side cover. You can leave it in place as is or replace it with one of theirs with a purchase of a adapter.
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=386
Myself, I chose the 51010 kit so that both stock covers could be used.
I have pictures if you need.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the same motor and from what I understand you'll be doing away with the current way air flows into the bike. Currently air is drawn under the tank and flows down the LEFT side of the bike where the air filter resides. Then the air makes its journey between the two hot cylinders on its way to the right side of the bike. The stock RIGHT side cover has no air flow from the factory. It's simply a cover and by the time the filtered air gets to it it's hot and been tunneled through all types of twists and turns. The thunder air kits bypass this issue doing away with the LEFT side filter/box completely and changing the RIGHT side into an intake eliminating the need for air to be drawn down from the tank to the LEFT side and across the hot cylinders.

There are several options out there and I'm also doing research to determine which kit will move the most air. As far as what to do with the left side you could leave your old left side box on without a filter. You could also purchase a decorative cover for the left side from Thunder in addition to your air kit. I just got the Cobra slip ons for the classic and the next purchase will be the Powerpro and air kit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had the Cobra Tri-ovals on for a few months and have had trouble with backfires at times. I put the Cobra FI2000 powerpro and the Thunder 51010 air kit on last weekend and I thought that would cure the problem as you plug the breather hose as part of the installation which others have said will cure the backfiring. But to my disappointment there is still some backfiring although not quite as bad. I elected to leave the left side on since I like the look. The bike has noticeably more power at the low end and pulls very well all the way to redline and I have not noticed any flat spots. Don't know about mileage as I have not put a whole tank of gas through it since I did the installation and that may have to wait a while as it is supposed to snow here Thursday.

Stuart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have some backfire on decel,not really bad but more than I would like. Have plugged the air tube too. Thank you guys for the replies. This forum is AWESOME.

Jerry

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have had the Cobra Tri-ovals on for a few months and have had trouble with backfires at times. I put the Cobra FI2000 powerpro and the Thunder 51010 air kit on last weekend and I thought that would cure the problem as you plug the breather hose as part of the installation which others have said will cure the backfiring. But to my disappointment there is still some backfiring although not quite as bad. I elected to leave the left side on since I like the look. The bike has noticeably more power at the low end and pulls very well all the way to redline and I have not noticed any flat spots. Don't know about mileage as I have not put a whole tank of gas through it since I did the installation and that may have to wait a while as it is supposed to snow here Thursday.

Stuart
Thanks for the info Stuart,
I'm thinking about the Cobra PowerPro tuner also. Let us know how it works out for you after you have run it for a while. Also I'm interesting in how your milage compares after a few tanks.
James

·
Registered
558 Posts

Stuart
I was hoping the Powerpro with the airkit would eliminate or greatly reduce backfiring. So far there is nothing out there for the 1700 engine that eliminates the pop. Please keep us posted on this.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was hoping the Powerpro with the airkit would eliminate or greatly reduce backfiring. So far there is nothing out there for the 1700 engine that eliminates the pop. Please keep us posted on this.
Interesting that so many have issues with popping on decel - I experience very little popping. Not sure if it's a difference in throttle control. I have the Tri-Oval's, Cobra FI2000R, and Stock Thunder Air Kit (51010). I actually enjoy hearing it pop whenever it does it....but then again, I wear earplugs so it doesn't bother me. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the V&H slip-ons and no air kit or fuel processor yet. Mine still pops once in a while, but not as much as before I blocked off the air line, actually its not too bad now. I heard a harley rev up and then let off the throttle a few days ago.... talk about a lot of popping!
James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weather has finally cooled down here--was about 50 F this morning. I noticed that the popping was almost completely absent. That is probally a clue, but not to me. I do like a little popping. I sure like the Cobra Fi 2000 pro tuner, the bike just keeps on pulling as you turn the throttle. I have a couple tanks of gas thru it now and my milage has gone down from 41 to 38 MPG. I think most of that is because it's so fun to crank it up now.
I am hoping when I put on the air kit the MPG will go up. Is that a reasonable expectation or just wishful thinking?

·
Registered
217 Posts
my milage has gone down from 41 to 38 MPG. I think most of that is because it's so fun to crank it up now.
I am hoping when I put on the air kit the MPG will go up. Is that a reasonable expectation or just wishful thinking?
Thanks for the info. That is what I am hoping to find out before I buy one. I know everyone over on the Sukuki fourm sure likes the Cobar PowerPro.
Keep us posted and thanks,
James

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting that so many have issues with popping on decel - I experience very little popping. Not sure if it's a difference in throttle control. I have the Tri-Oval's, Cobra FI2000R, and Stock Thunder Air Kit (51010). I actually enjoy hearing it pop whenever it does it....but then again, I wear earplugs so it doesn't bother me. :D
That's good to know someone out there isn't popping like crazy. Why did you choose the stock air kit? I'm trying to figure out which kit moves the most air.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's good to know someone out there isn't popping like crazy. Why did you choose the stock air kit? I'm trying to figure out which kit moves the most air.
Wanted to keep the stock covers on each side. Air movement (to throttle bodies) would be the same whether you go with stock kit (51010) or their covers. If you went with their left side cover you would get more air to the left side of your engine (no affect on air to the throttle bodies), so the bike might run slightly cooler, but I wouldn't bank on it.

On another note, a previous post wondered about fuel mileage - I did four changes at once - new ECU, Tri-Ovals, Cobra FI2000R, and Thunder Air Kit - my avg mileage went from 37 to 44 mpg.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Top,

Was 51010 all you needed? How does air get in on the right side now from the standpoint of the cover. (I get there is new hardware for the right side by the tb's.) Are there holes all around the box? Any issues with potential debris going into the box/near tb's? And finally, what did you do with the left side?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Top,

Was 51010 all you needed? How does air get in on the right side now from the standpoint of the cover. (I get there is new hardware for the right side by the tb's.) Are there holes all around the box? Any issues with potential debris going into the box/near tb's? And finally, what did you do with the left side?
Yes, all you need is kit 51010. On the right side, you get rid of the black plastic tube behind the stock cover, and replace it with the mounting plate that Thunder provides. The plate provides a 360 degree opening for airflow directly into the throttle bodies - the only thing in between is the K&N Air Filter that Thunder provides in the kit. If you take your bike off road (which I highly doubt), then yes, you have the potential of dirt getting through the K&N Filter. I left the left side intact - so the left side air tube is still in place. You could cut the inner part of it away (like some have done), or leave it alone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On another note, a previous post wondered about fuel mileage - I did four changes at once - new ECU, Tri-Ovals, Cobra FI2000R, and Thunder Air Kit - my avg mileage went from 37 to 44 mpg.
Thanks for the info, that is a really nice gain! That will pay for your mods in no time. You used the FI000R, that is the one with the three pots not the newer CVT (auto tune) right? If so, what did you set the three pots at?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the info, that is a really nice gain! That will pay for your mods in no time. You used the FI000R, that is the one with the three pots not the newer CVT (auto tune) right? If so, what did you set the three pots at?
Thanks,
James
Yes, I have the one with 3 pots. Cobra and Thunder got together and recommended (for the VV 1700 running with Tri-Oval's and Thunder Air Kit) the first two pots be left at factory setting, and to change the third pot to 3.0 - 4.0. I have mine set at 3.5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have installled the thunder kit 51010 and have not noticed any increase in power. The sound has seemed to have changed, not as low in pitch as before the kit. But still sounds good. My mileage has gone up from 38 back to 41 MPH where it was before I added anything. With the new power and response I have I am very happy. The thunder air kit has a tube coming from the left side which supplies air to the right side via the adapter which screws into the right side. I assume that should be installed,
the direcions were not clear.
Now I am almost all set up, just need a louder horn and a hitch and a..... it never ENDs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
what part# would i need for my vaquero?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2011 Voyager ABS. I installed Cobra Tri Oval Slip on mufflers, then the Cobra Fi2000 Power pro Tuner and last the Thunder Air kit 51010. Very nice sound and much improved power. I guess you would use the same ,but i am not sure.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts