Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of saddlemen throw over bags. I hate how they look you can see the strap going under the seat. Can you make the a hard mount sat that would be easy to take off? I will not have them on to much just when I take trips. Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here's a link to a thread where I described hard mounting Saddlemen bags with a MC Enterprises sissybar. It doesn't sound like my idea is what you're looking for but it may give you some ideas to get started.

Also, I took off the sissybar today and kept the bags without any additional hardware if you're interested in seeing that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If they have a hard back plate, just cut them off of the strap and mount some ghost brackets on there. If they're not rigid, then maybe you can stiffen the back up with something like a piece of plexiglass or 1/8" plywood on the inside. You'd be able to take them on and off easily and then you'd also have some little knobby's sticking out on your fenders that you could maybe hook some bungees to. I saw you were asking about that on another post.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Do your bags have a zipper attachment so you can take them off of the throw-over piece ? I hard-mounted some bags, and I can detach them with the zippers. If yours do I can send some pics. If they don't, my method won't do you any good.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do your bags have a zipper attachment so you can take them off of the throw-over piece ? I hard-mounted some bags, and I can detach them with the zippers. If yours do I can send some pics. If they don't, my method won't do you any good.
DITTO, I have Saddleman Teardrops that were originally throw-overs. They had a zipper attachment for the strap, I was able to remove the zipper part from the bag also.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Several people have used pieces of hard plastic like a cutting board or something to make hard backs for throw over bags. You make a template from cardboard and cut out the shape of the back of the bag from the plastic. Then mount a couple generic saddle bag brackets and bolt through the plastic, through the bag, through the mounting brackets into the fender brace. The only issue with throw over bags in that some do not have the rest of the frame that hard mount bags usually come with around the opening at the top and throughout the bag. So even stiffening up the back of the bag doesn't get rid of all the droop. But if your bag is somewhat stiff to begin with, this may work well for you.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used easy brackets and added a piece of sheet aluminum to both the inside and outside of the bag to reinforce them. May be overkill but the last set of Sadddleman bags cracked badly with only a little reinforcement on the inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts