Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...bit silly asking but with todays process one never knows.

Can m/c rotors be turned? Do they have some other process to remove the small groves? Do you simply throw them out?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know but my rear is getting some grooves started in it.I noticed some coloring to the part that does't have pad on it like its getting hot quess I should @ least get some new pads.This is with just under 17,000 miles on bike.I'm sure the darkside tire is adding to the heat with all the extra traction

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a thread on EBC Organic pads. I missed the opporutunity when the bike was new. That's the time to take the OEM pads off and replace with these organics. No rotor wear, great braking, quiet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
From what I have read, the rotors can be turned, but there is a minimum thickness tolerance. I think it is listed in the O&M manual. If not, PM me and I will check it out in the service manual that I have.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not much leeway according to the 900 Custom Service Manual, throwaways.

Standard: F: 0.19 - 0.20 inch, R: 0.27 - 0.28 inch
Service Limit: F: 0.18 inch, R: 0.24 inch

·
Registered
451 Posts
Grooving is a normal part of brake rotor wear. On my cars, I have the rotors resurfaced every 3 sets of pads, but that's because there's a ridge standing on the outer rim of the rotor.

When my 900 needs pads, I'll put them in, go out on a country road, and make 3-4 hard stops to seat the new pads. Job done.

Calipers can get pretty hot, and the fluid doesn't circulate. The fluid in calipers can break down after thousands of heat/cool cycles. Be sure, when you collapse the calipers, to open the bleed vent and run the old fluid to waste, so that the caliper fills with new fluid as it wears. With the caliper fully collapsed, I open the bleed screw and pump a little new fluid through the caliper to rinse it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts