Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 09 Vulcan Voyager. After the MCU upgrade last November the trottle and everything seemed Ok. On a former post I even commented on how smooth the throttle was then. Now like if someone flipped a switch, I can hold a steady throttle and the engine rpms fluctuate up and down. I'm still 100% stock. My dealer changed the air filter and plugs with no satisfaction. It's not as noticable on the road, or accelerating through the gears. It is noticable going through town with stop and go traffic when trying to hold constant rpms. I can feel surging. Just wonder if anyone has experienced this. Try gradually raising your rpms to 2500 and lock your wrist, do your rpms fuctuate up and down? Guessing it could be an elctronic throttle sensor problem or is this just another qwerk of the electonic throttle. Seems I would have noticed this previously having ridden 16,000 miles since new.

--Ralph

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
No I haven't experience anything like that. But it sure sounds like it would be coming from your ecu.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, try this: Sitting still, bring your throttle to 2500 rpm and lock your wrist. Does the engine speed remain constant at 2500 or does it fluctuate, and how much? I need the data to compare before I call the service manager and he calls Kawasaki on tuesday.

thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'll be riding 400 miles tomorrow. I will pay attention to this. Does it do this no matter what gear you are in? What grade of fuel are you running?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Have an 09 Vulcan Voyager. After the MCU upgrade last November the trottle and everything seemed Ok. On a former post I even commented on how smooth the throttle was then. Now like if someone flipped a switch, I can hold a steady throttle and the engine rpms fluctuate up and down. I'm still 100% stock. My dealer changed the air filter and plugs with no satisfaction. It's not as noticable on the road, or accelerating through the gears. It is noticable going through town with stop and go traffic when trying to hold constant rpms. I can feel surging. Just wonder if anyone has experienced this. Try gradually raising your rpms to 2500 and lock your wrist, do your rpms fuctuate up and down? Guessing it could be an elctronic throttle sensor problem or is this just another qwerk of the electonic throttle. Seems I would have noticed this previously having ridden 16,000 miles since new.

--Ralph
Funny you should ask this know! I have just reached 20000 km's (about 12000 miles) we are just entering summer down here in Oz and my bike is stock apart from the kn air filter. I too had my ecu changed and it seemed to be working perfectly however over the past three days I have noticed and increase in revs from Idle to around 2500 for no reason like the throttle cables might be too tight or something I force the throttle grip to the closed position to make sure it isn't sticking but that doesn't work.

It happens when I am in town and idling in first at an intersection having crawled to a stop in first or second behind other cars. As soon as I start off again problem gone.

I am fitting one of Rays throttle mods in December so I wasn't concerned at this stage as fitting the mod will mean adjusting the cables.

I hope this info is of some use to you though in case there is a new problem developing

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Notice it about the same rpm, but more in third gear. Could be the ratio makes it more pronounced. I am using 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
369 Posts

--Ralph
take it in to your dealer and demand that they take a ecu out of a new floor model voyager, just to see if that is the problem. if it is, have them order you a new reprogrammed ecu.
these ecu's on these 1700 are strange. i had what i thought was an intake manifold air leak witch turned out to be the ecu. i was having some of the same symptoms you are having but more. mine would also have irregular idle problems. the put the new ecu in and its running like new. but for how long........

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'll be riding 400 miles tomorrow. I will pay attention to this. Does it do this no matter what gear you are in? What grade of fuel are you running?
OK. No issues what-so-ever with the RPMs on my bike. I know this does not help you. I will tell you that I jumped on the recall and got a 'new' ecu instead of a reprogrammed one. Seem most problems are coming from reprogrammed ECUs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts