Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my throttle hasn't been returning to closed after twisting and letting go of the hand grip.

Is this an adjustment or does the cable need replacing?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Check that the cables aren't being pinched someplace. Have you regularly lubed them? Age and how may miles on the bike? I've had a friends throttle stick like that owing to a layer of rust that formed under the throttle tube and bound it. Check for a broken/missing spring on the throttle body...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't appear to be pinched anywhere, bike has just over 19k on the clock an honestly I've ne'er lubed the cables.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Are you saying that the handgrip does not return, or when you let go of the throttle you get idle hang? Two different problems.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The handgrip does not return on its own.
I can return it manually with no problems.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Did you put the Kury grips on it? Are you sure that they are cleared for the throttle housing? When I put mine on, I had to trim them a tad so they wouldn't drag on the throttle housing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did install them myself about a year or so ago, what exactly did you have to trim? I can check and see if its handing it up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You really should be lubing them at least once a year. More frequently if you ride a lot and if the bike is exposed to gnarly weather conditions (heat, rain, etc.).

All kinds of different stuff could accumulate inside the cable and could cause drag. If it is definitely not pinched and you have not made any related changes on the bike just recently, then I'd look into lubing it thoroughly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just for reference, how do we lube the cable and what should we lube it with? (got my bike used and don't have an owners manual)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Just for reference, how do we lube the cable and what should we lube it with? (got my bike used and don't have an owners manual)
A shop manual for your bike is a must no matter if you ever need it or not. It can be downloaded off of the Internet. You can go to Motion Pro and there you will find a tool that is designed for lubing throttle and clutch cables. Buy a can of cable lube (it will be silicone base) that you can then spray thru the tool connected to the ends of the throttle cables. The cables will have to be removed from the throttle grip and switch housing and this done by loosening the cables as much as possible then prying the cables off of the grip with an awl or similar tool.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do Have one of those manual throttle locks but that's the first place I checked and it doesn't seem to be hanging up there, but just to rule it out ill remove and it and see how it reacts.
Ill need to get that lube tool and lube my cables ASAP.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As Sojourner mentioned, you can use a silicone or teflon based lubricant, a lubricant that leaves a thin protective film on the cable.
My personal favorite is Tri-Flow with teflon but each has their own. As long as it was designed for cables/wires, it should be fine.

I have the lubing tool but honestly, I hardly ever used it. If you can or need to take the cable off of the grip unit, then hold it perpendicular to the ground and carefully put in a drop on the steel wire at-a-time and let it run down inside the cable sleeve all the way down. A few drop should be adequate or when you see the lubricant come out from the other end!

Spray cans can make it more difficult to get controlled drops so buying the liquid kind might work better.

The single clamp version of the tool is usually under or around $10. Look on Amazon or eBay. Also, if you are in a rush, you can buy it from a local store and save yourself the s&h and waiting.

Bangor Motorsports in Bangor, ME has them for $10:
http://www.bangormotorsports.net/Motion-Pro-MOTION-PRO-CABLE-LUBER-detail.htm?productId=9132452&ez=&pos=1

After you properly and adequately lubed the cable, if it is still doing the same, then you will know something is binding/biting.

The manual is kind of lame with the maintenance info on cables and it only tells you to use a regular motor oil or grease (a bit vague).
More so, it states that lubrication of these wires should be done by an authorized Kawi dealer/service center (come on!).

You just need to know this, top cable is for accelerator and the bottom one is for decelerator but I would lube and troubleshoot both. Either one could be binding/biting and causing the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I went ahead and started poking around and ultimately found out the plastic piece inside the grip where the cables attach to is broken.
I guess it would be called the throttle tube?
Does Kuryakn sell just the throttle side grip or am I in the market for a new set of grips?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well I went ahead and started poking around and ultimately found out the plastic piece inside the grip where the cables attach to is broken.
I guess it would be called the throttle tube?
Does Kuryakn sell just the throttle side grip or am I in the market for a new set of grips?

Use this as an excuse to get some new Iso-Grips :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran into something similar this morning. Throttle was sticking. I sprayed some contact cleaner into the plastic part of the handle (under the grip) and it seemed to resume normal action. This gave me enough time to ride to my favourite shop and by some cable lube and a tool run it through.

For any beginners this video was helpful:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts