Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give everyone my opinion on my recent mod done to my Nomad. I recently went to Racnrays shop to meet him and have him perform the same modification to my throttle that he has done to his Vaquero.

I have to say this was money well spent. First my skoot now has no lag/delay when you hit the throttle off the line. This also holds true when cruising at low rpms. It got rid the sloppy throttle response I was having. Now it is crisp the way it should have been from the factory. No more delay.

Now there was another benefit to having this done as well. I was experiencing the throttle to be jerky on decel and then lightly giving it some gas while cruising on the streets. This is no longer there! This was a pleasant surprise to me. This alone was worth doing the mod.

The mod will work with stock grips and my Kuryakan Iso Grips. This was one of reasons I went down to him so he could test them and make sure it would fit. I have to say he has a nice clean and professional shop and his tech Mark (I hope I got his name right) was knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.

So if anyone is interested in getting this done to there bikes I would highly recommend doing it. :good::good::good: I believe you can PM him about this.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Thanx

Glad to hear you like the improvements my mod makes. We ride our skoots to have fun, but sometimes simple mods like this can make our skoots more, uh, FUNNERER!!

THANX AND ENJOY!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
497 Posts
Glad to hear you like the improvements my mod makes. We ride our skoots to have fun, but sometimes simple mods like this can make our skoots more, uh, FUNNERER!!

THANX AND ENJOY!!

RACNRAY
Okay, I'm curious...what changes did you make? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's interesting. Just curious if you have any other mods done to the bike. Intake exhaust or fuel management? I noticed a quicker response after that and I'm wondering if you are still runnin stock or not

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
291 Posts

THANX AND ENJOY!!

RACNRAY
Hey Ray, There you are. Would you post info on reaching you or you could email me your # and address of shopto me. I would like to come down and have you check my scoot and possibly do some adjustments and a dyno run. My email is [email protected].

Also Justinmccurdy on our site is having a major issue with a possible air inlet leak (intake manifold)and we were wonderin if you had any expeiences with the flange gasket or sealing issues. Check todays forum and you will see his post

Look forward to meetin you and gettin some work done. I currently ride a VV and have installed the Tri-ovals, Thunder stock air kit and I hate to say it, The cobra fi2000r. lookin to upgrade that to the power pro but theres not enough feedback on the 1700's with this tuner yet. Any thoughts on this tuner?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting. Just curious if you have any other mods done to the bike. Intake exhaust or fuel management? I noticed a quicker response after that and I'm wondering if you are still runnin stock or not

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
If you are referring to me, I only have the exhaust done. Everything else is stock. That is why I like this mod. It made a very noticeable difference. I can't wait for my power pro to arrive.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Okay, I'm curious...what changes did you make? :)
I modify the throttle in such a way that throttle response is improved, removing a large percentage of throttle plate opening delay that Kawi has built into the fly-by-wire system. captj3 already had slip-ons installed a while back, so his impression of the improvement is only of the throttle mod.

Hey Ray, There you are. Would you post info on reaching you or you could email me your # and address of shopto me. I would like to come down and have you check my scoot and possibly do some adjustments and a dyno run. My email is [email protected].

Also Justinmccurdy on our site is having a major issue with a possible air inlet leak (intake manifold)and we were wonderin if you had any expeiences with the flange gasket or sealing issues. Check todays forum and you will see his post

Look forward to meetin you and gettin some work done. I currently ride a VV and have installed the Tri-ovals, Thunder stock air kit and I hate to say it, The cobra fi2000r. lookin to upgrade that to the power pro but theres not enough feedback on the 1700's with this tuner yet. Any thoughts on this tuner?
I'll send an email asap. I have much experience with intake manifold leaks on jap skoots, i will have to take a close look at how the V's are set up as looking at the parts diagram i am having a hard time figgerin out what i am looking at, doesn't look like anything i've seen before.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
If you are referring to me, I only have the exhaust done. Everything else is stock. That is why I like this mod. It made a very noticeable difference. I can't wait for my power pro to arrive.
captj3...Question, and ding dang i should of asked you this in one of our previous phone conversations...

How does the improvement in acceleration and throttle response with my throttle mod compare to the same improvements you noticed when you installed the slip-ons. Slipons are the most common mod we make to these big V's, and offer x amount of performance improvement. Your personal experience with the two modifications you have made and a comparison of those mods may help us to understand what is usually experienced with slip-on installation vs my throttle mod, and the level of improvement each one is responsible for.

THANX
RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
For those of us in other parts of the country, I am in Arkansas, is there a kit you sell for the throttle improvement or is it adjustments. I am riding a 2010 voyager 1700abs.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
for those of us in other parts of the country, i am in arkansas, is there a kit you sell for the throttle improvement or is it adjustments. I am riding a 2010 voyager 1700abs.
pm sent

racnray

·
Registered
644 Posts
captj3...Question, and ding dang i should of asked you this in one of our previous phone conversations...

How does the improvement in acceleration and throttle response with my throttle mod compare to the same improvements you noticed when you installed the slip-ons. Slipons are the most common mod we make to these big V's, and offer x amount of performance improvement. Your personal experience with the two modifications you have made and a comparison of those mods may help us to understand what is usually experienced with slip-on installation vs my throttle mod, and the level of improvement each one is responsible for.

THANX
RACNRAY
How about some more info my way too. This sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

THANX
RACNRAY
Well to start ( now don't hate me ) I really didn't feel that great of low end power from the exhaust. There is some,but not as much as would have liked. The truth is I didn't get the exhaust with the idea of it making gobs of power. I got it more for sound then anything else. I gained a lot especially decel popping. I knew it was there with stock, now everyone can here it. :rolleyes:

Now your mod is a different story. It's not that you gain power per se, it's more like you get to use what you already have. I firmly believe I have benefited from this. The bike is snappier off the line in 1st and other gears as well. 1st to 2nd with a slight popping of the clutch can pull the bike out your hands. In general the overall feel of the bike is better at lower rpms 0-3k. Then the added bonus of getting rid of the jerky throttle is the icing on the cake to me. Overall the bike feels much more responsive and a pleasure to ride. The bike lost the dead spot you get when hitting the throttle. You don't have to twist your wrist as much waiting for the throttle body to go Oh yea you want to go forward, if you can understand what I mean by that. The best way to describe it would be to think of the delay you get when you step on the gas in your car and have to wait for the transmission to downshift.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
How about some more info my way too. This sounds very interesting.
I think Im a ditto on that too. My throttle response / decel leave much to be desired!!
Thanks in advance
Count me in too please.........
even tho it would be a great ride down to FL from Pa....I just don't have the time or money....lol
thanks in advance
Ray, could you please post something on here for us that are not near you in Florida? If not please shot me a PM.

Thanks!
PM's sent to all.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
66 Posts
Then the added bonus of getting rid of the jerky throttle is the icing on the cake to me.
This jerky throttle you mention... does this happen to be the bucking one can get in low RPMs at low speed? Example, on my ride to work this morning I was in some slow, often stop n go highway traffic. At one point I was in 2nd or 3rd gear and trying to just slowly coast along via throttle without using the clutch. It was right in a spot at the low end of the throttle where a slight decrease in the throttle would slow the engine too much (down to idle I assume) and the bike would jolt as it slowed down and the slack reversed in the drivetrain. Very annoying. I have experienced similar on another bike I have (2003 Suzuki VS1400) but nowhere near as rough as on the Voyager. Maybe it's just the, oh, 300lbs difference between them? Anyway, thought I'd ask and see if this might be what you're referencing as I can't think of any other jerky throttle response I've experienced...

·
Registered
286 Posts
My curiosity is up can you send me the info too??:l

·
Registered
894 Posts
For those of us in other parts of the country, I am in Arkansas, is there a kit you sell for the throttle improvement or is it adjustments. I am riding a 2010 voyager 1700abs.
+ 1 on this . . . Was thinking about this on the ride in this morning . . . :cool:

1 - 20 of 816 Posts